The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

So... after a night to think about it. Kpekawa was pretty good, he looks like he has some bomb scare moments in him, but equally he showed he's also capable of some impressive last minute challenges. He's going to be fun! :D

Coulson was impressive working his way up and down the wing while King looked a real livewire with a very decent delivery. Couldn't say much for Cook(e?) other than he looked quite tall. To me it looked like Mullen shifted to Smith's position when he went off and Cook(e?) went central. He looks a tall lad and was a few yards quicker than the Killie defence but then that was in the dying minutes of the tie.

It's not all gravy though, as to be honest Kellerman looked decidedly average, Mullen while putting in a shift achieved very little and while Paul McGinn was solid enough, too many times he hooked it out when he had time to take it down and play the ball. All these things will iron themselves out over the coming months I'm sure.

Spoiler

I want to know who the players are that had Stubbs excited enough to say that they will be marquee signings , "although the Chairman and CEO might not be as happy ". Which I take to mean either transfer fees , or loan fees or a big signing on fee !

10 minutes ago, billyg said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I want to know who the players are that had Stubbs excited enough to say that they will be marquee signings , "although the Chairman and CEO might not be as happy ". Which I take to mean either transfer fees , or loan fees or a big signing on fee !

Think it will depend on McGinn don't you think so Billy ? One would cost a few Bob I picked up. The big striker from Aberdeen still available his name has slipped my mind ? 

1 hour ago, Buddist Monk said:

It's not all gravy though, as to be honest Kellerman looked decidedly average, Mullen while putting in a shift achieved very little and while Paul McGinn was solid enough, too many times he hooked it out when he had time to take it down and play the ball. All these things will iron themselves out over the coming months I'm sure.

Kellerman?

He was on the pitch for all of nine minutes FFS.

Give it a rest.:thumbsdown

Incredibly harsh on all 3. Paul McGinn got up and down the right all game and we saw very little of Jordan Jones, one of the best players in the league last season. Only a great save prevented Mullen scoring, he gave 2 very decent centre halves a tough game. I think he can be pleased with his performance. I’m sure he’ll prove to be a better option than Cooke over the season. Mullen is a complete handful and a better footballer than Reilly - I have confidence he can be a big player for us this season. The Kellerman shout is just ridiculous for the time he was on the pitch.
Surprised to see Kirkpatrick start I still don’t think he will be with us come September. Cammy Smith is wasted on the left. Flynn and Coulson has very good games last night.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

So... after a night to think about it. Kpekawa was pretty good, he looks like he has some bomb scare moments in him, but equally he showed he's also capable of some impressive last minute challenges. He's going to be fun! :D

Coulson was impressive working his way up and down the wing while King looked a real livewire with a very decent delivery. Couldn't say much for Cook(e?) other than he looked quite tall. To me it looked like Mullen shifted to Smith's position when he went off and Cook(e?) went central. He looks a tall lad and was a few yards quicker than the Killie defence but then that was in the dying minutes of the tie.

How can you be so critical on the team when they’ve not even played one pre season game prior to last night. I sometimes wonder if some people actually have a grasp of how football actually works. If you think that Danny Mullen had a poor game then you must have been watching a different game to me.

54 minutes ago, FTOF said:

Kellerman?

He was on the pitch for all of nine minutes FFS.

Give it a rest.:thumbsdown

You sound like you are defending a point I never made. He came on, he looked average, it's as simple as that. I then went on to say things will get sorted out over the coming weeks.

Quite honestly I am stunned by some of the replies to my initial comment. It's almost as if people have completely ignored that I was both positive and said that of the negatives they will be improved on over time.

It's almost as if people read what they want to read rather than what I actually wrote.

Edit: This is also the same sort of responses I got last year when commenting on the pre-season friendlies and the early League Cup rounds. Funnily enough after a few games these same people were repeating my concerns with absolutely no lack of irony.

Edited by Buddist Monk

2 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

You sound like you are defending a point I never made. He came on, he looked average, it's as simple as that. I then went on to say things will get sorted out over the coming weeks.

Too  critical mate even if we lost by a goal I would have been happy this a team who have played zilch games. With us bringing in 4 to 5 players more it's going to be exciting season. 

Just now, Demented Zebra said:

even if we lost by a goal I would have been happy this a team who have played zilch games.

At what point did I say I wasn't happy? I mean really, are people using some sort of special translator to turn what I said into something they think I said?

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

How can you be so critical on the team when they’ve not even played one pre season game prior to last night. I sometimes wonder if some people actually have a grasp of how football actually works. If you think that Danny Mullen had a poor game then you must have been watching a different game to me.

If you use the search engine you'll find the answer to that.

Quite honestly I am stunned by some of the replies to my initial comment. It's almost as if people have completely ignored that I was both positive and said that of the negatives they will be improved on over time.

It's almost as if people read what they want to read rather than what I actually wrote.

Edit: This is also the same sort of responses I got last year when commenting on the pre-season friendlies and the early League Cup rounds. Funnily enough after a few games these same people were repeating my concerns with absolutely no lack of irony.

I think people are getting at you because it's incredibly difficult to judge if someone is average when they come on for less than 10 minutes.

As DJ says, why not give him more than nine minutes before posting a negative comment on his abilities?

Edited by FTOF

Thought this last night, but didn’t want to post it as the time as it sounded ridiculous. 

Still sounds ridiculous today, but.... after 3 weeks of watching World Cup football, last night didn’t jar as much as I was expecting it to!

Okay, so that may have been partly because my low expectations of Saints given no pre-season games and the huge number of changes at the club, but it looked like we were trying to play a really good, attacking, style of football - and managing it.

And yes, a pre-season Killie are not excatly WC-class opponents, but it was very pleasing to see us play well and dominate a very good SPL team for large parts of the game.

At this stage last season, we were gubbed 5-1 by Thistle, and went on to have a great season.

Let’s hope it’s not the other way around this time :-)!

Edited by Bobby_F

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

One of the reasons you got that response last season was you passed comment on Dale Hilson when he wasn't even playing.

I suppose judging Kellerman based on nine minutes is something of an improvement.

Edited by Stu

Really enjoyable game last night and pleased with our performance, considering it really looked like a makeshift midfield beforehand.

Interesting that MacPherson and Kirkpatrick started the game ahead of some of the potential debutants. Goes to show as well, there's been a lot of chat about Eck / Gary Mac / McShane being written off, but there are a couple of guys who have obviously shown something in training and, maybe against the odds, got their chance.

Thoughts on Cammy Smith out wide left with Flynn more central?! That was unexpected...

Nuff said about Coulson. If he's good in front of goal then he could take Morgan's place further up the park.

Finally, going by Stubbsy's interview, his expected standards are going to be extremely high.