The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

At this rate, we're needing another half dozen in (and that's as long as no-one else goes).

Dangerous game being played here by the new manager.

If this was happening on the day of the start of the season, I'd agree with you.

However, it isn't.

Stubbs has stated from the start that some of his signings may take a bit longer than we'd like, but he seems to have set plan in place to get the players that he wants.

I'm not fussed at all by the likes of Hippolyte leaving, as it's a cert he'll be replaced by a player that Stubbs rates more highly.

The major question mark at the moment is over the defence - and that's because we have no idea what Heaton, Coulson and Kpekawa are like. McGinn should be OK at rightback and Rodgers should be a good goalie if preferred over Samson.

Of the midfield and attack, Morgan is the only one who finished last season as a regular who is missing. We still have Stephen McGinn, Magennis, Flynn, Smith and Mullen (who replaced Reilly over the last few weeks of the season). That's not too bad, although we have no clue about the guys who have been brought in to supplement them. It was always going to be next to impossible to replace Morgan but there's no one, aside from maybe King, who screams out as being the replacement for him in the team. At least last season it looked as if Kirkpatrick was the ready made replacement for Mallan - not that things worked out that way.

That's all based on us playing last season's system - if we're going with a 3-5-2 or whatever then f**k knows!

Some very promising signs. Coulson looks a cracking player, happy with the new centre back, young McPherson put himself about, Doc McGinn had a steady performance at right back.

Still got a few to come in too.

Would be nice to have a decent cup run, we've been rotten in the league cup since we won the damn thing.

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Some new signings coming in the next few days according to Stubbs, some of them quite exciting.

Probably be announced Tuesday afternoon when I'm on a plane.

Bit more from the BBC:

Stubbs indicated that he is looking to add a goal threat having concentrated on working on his defence.

"Over the next three weeks, we will look to work on that," he said.

"At times we didn't reward ourselves for some of our good play.

"It is an area of the pitch where we have good payers, but I hope to add to that and make a few marquee signings."

The amount of knickerwetting on that black & white army earlier on today, was embarrassing and hilarious at the same time. Coulson and Kpewaka were standouts tonight as were Mullen and young McPherson considering they havent played one pre season game. Exciting signings to follow. In Stubbsy we trust.

12 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The amount of knickerwetting on that black & white army earlier on today, was embarrassing and hilarious at the same time. Coulson and Kpewaka were standouts tonight as were Mullen and young McPherson considering they havent played one pre season game. Exciting signings to follow. In Stubbsy we trust.

Agreed. I must admit, I've been a wee bit concerned the last few days at the sheer numbers in the clear out without players coming back the way. 

But the lads who played tonight did their bit. Coulson and Kpekawa both look very good. King was decent. 

We have still to strengthen as well with Heaton and Magennis not on the park at any point. 

22 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Agreed. I must admit, I've been a wee bit concerned the last few days at the sheer numbers in the clear out without players coming back the way. 

But the lads who played tonight did their bit. Coulson and Kpekawa both look very good. King was decent. 

We have still to strengthen as well with Heaton and Magennis not on the park at any point. 

I reckon Heaton will partner Kpewaka with Jack Baird dropping to the bench, once the league campaign gets underway.

2 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

I reckon Heaton will partner Kpewaka with Jack Baird dropping to the bench, once the league campaign gets underway.

Sorry not good at this quoting thing. ...  St.Mirren fans in agreeing shocker.

I usually tend to be more of a knicker wetter than a happy clapper. When Tommy Craig took over, my undergarments were drenched and indeed this was appropriate given what transpired.  With Alan Stubbs I don't have the fear at all. I reckon he will assemble a squad of big cnuts that can play a bit.  I think he will sign another centre half  and the  ex Colchester  left back/centre half so we may see Jack Baird as being cover.  My confidence is based on the squad he assembled for Hibs.   Hope I'm not wrong...

6 hours ago, madmitch said:

Sorry not good at this quoting thing. ...  St.Mirren fans in agreeing shocker.

I usually tend to be more of a knicker wetter than a happy clapper. When Tommy Craig took over, my undergarments were drenched and indeed this was appropriate given what transpired.  With Alan Stubbs I don't have the fear at all. I reckon he will assemble a squad of big cnuts that can play a bit.  I think he will sign another centre half  and the  ex Colchester  left back/centre half so we may see Jack Baird as being cover.  My confidence is based on the squad he assembled for Hibs.   Hope I'm not wrong...

Yes and no - he will try and assemble a squad of excellent footballers - but he isnt in the business of buying 6 foot 6 lunkers, thats more Craig Levain territory.

If they are good enough, AS will play them - he prefers a team to play with a bit of style (which you are used to after last year) so I hope you are in for a treat this season.

I think the AS influence is already there - your team looked a fair bit better football wise than Killie for long stretches last night, but not enough quality in the striking department.