The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

24 minutes ago, elvis said:

Got to laugh everyone saying this one and that one are not good enough for top league but think players from the lower leagues in England are going to be. this could end up being the biggest disaster ever or a success I know which one I'm going for. 

We are not finished recruiting players by a long way. We need to see who comes in before putting the side down.

Never really got a chance, but he wasn't going to be a Premiership regular. Guess it was to boost numbers in case of injury last season. 

I think we need to give Stubbs the chance to build a squad and write off the cup. Fully expecting to be horsed by Killie tonight,  but like Partick last season it didn't matter a jot come August. 

Got to laugh everyone saying this one and that one are not good enough for top league but think players from the lower leagues in England are going to be. this could end up being the biggest disaster ever or a success I know which one I'm going for. 

You’re thinking success aren’t you?

51 minutes ago, elvis said:

Yes, we all know what one you are going for, our little ray of sunshine. 

3 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Stevie is from up north not Kilmarnock. He left St Mirren for Chelsea in 87 returned to watch St Mirren lift the Scottish cup with the fans. Stevie is loyal to who pays his wages like we all do. If bigger fish come along he will be off contract or no contract for teams like Kilmarnock and the St Mirren's that is the realty unfortunately. I was around when St Mirren broke the Scottish transfer market these days are long gone. Enjoy it while it lasts if Stevie icontinues his success you won't have him more than two seasons. 

Up north as in Saltcoats? You are talking utter shoite.

9 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

He came to St Mirren from a highland league team that's why I thought he was from up north. 

No he didn't. Are you thinking of Les Fridge? Easy to get them mixed up I suppose.

3 hours ago, Stu said:

Easy to say this now that he's going but I don't think he's that big a loss. He was a bit of a meh signing for me. On his day he's a decent Championship player but I wasn't convinced he was good enough for the Premiership. His pace and strength would have been an asset, as would his long throw, but I'm not convinced he'd have been consistent enough, or Ross' theory that he was more a striker than a winger.

I feel a bit sorry for him though as he never really got a chance under Ross due to the team performing well. Mullen came in when Reilly was injured/lost form and scored a few goals but Hippolyte would have been waiting for the likes of Morgan or Magennis to tail off, which didn't really happen. The one time Morgan was missing was against Dunfermline and Ross opted to change to two up and give Mullen a go rather than go with Hippolyte.

Just hope there's a good few more still to come in before the Premiership season starts.

That's Livi, Falkirk and St Mirren he's been at and it has ended the exact same for him, has ability on his day, but doesn't show it enough. Just something missing from him, and you can't quite put your finger on it.  There is a player there, but something is not quite right in him to make it.

Demented zebra you don’t sound bitter at all mate ...

Up North as in North Ayrshire. 

Clarke is a Killie fan and so are his brothers. One of which played with Killie for years . 

We know he won’t be here forever but he’s coached and won things allover. He isn’t in a hurry to leave to be sacked after a few bad results. 

Stevie Clarke was a great player at St Mirren, and was an absolute gent when I approached him for his memories of Love Street for inclusion in the book we did ‘Love Street the Final Chapter’. He was at Chelsea then, and I wrote to him explaining what the project was and if he would like to offer some stories / memories. I received a prompt reply and he gave me the phone number for Chelsea’s training ground, and told me his extension number and a good time to call when he would be on a lunch break from training. I made the phone call and got put through to his office. He joked about it being so long ago that his memory might be tested, but before we got going, he said ‘Hold on, ach, I’m looking out the window and they’re playing fives out there. Someone has booted Drogba up in the air. He doesn’t look happy. Better sort them out before it kicks off, can I e-mail you some memories!? Call me back once I sort this mob out!

I called him back, he got my e-mail address and a day or two later he provided two great pages of stories for our book. Nice one.

On 7/13/2018 at 09:49, elvis said:

It's not like you to see a disaster on the horizon...

Seriously though, why not wait til we've seen the new players in action before writing them all off in one fell swoop?

Edited by Soctty

Just now, Buddist Monk said:

So are we due some new signings before the game tonight? I know it's cutting it fine but I thought the 3 signings that were going to happen were going to happen either yesterday or today.

At this rate, we're needing another half dozen in (and that's as long as no-one else goes).

Dangerous game being played here by the new manager.

3 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Dangerous game being played here by the new manager.

It does seem like he's been a little too quick to get rid of people without others to replace them, but we'll see tonight how threadbare the team actually is.

1 minute ago, greenock saint said:

Well it's a start..

Edited by Buddist Monk