The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Can't believe Eckersley is on his way out. He strolled through most games last season.

It suggests that Stubbs has high standards, but I hope he's confident in the replacements he's got lined up.

The Kpekawa is a left back but according to Wikipedia hasn't played many games in his career.

Thoroughly enjoying the way Stubbs is managing to turn some of our fans into even bigger foaming frothballs than normal.

They moan we haven't signed anyone, then moan when he signs three guys in 24 hours because they haven't heard of him.

They moan that the squad wasn't good enough last season (just the 12 points clear when we won it), then moan when he tries to get rid of some of said squad.

Keep it up Alan :thumsup2

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Thoroughly enjoying the way Stubbs is managing to turn some of our fans into even bigger foaming frothballs than normal.

They moan we haven't signed anyone, then moan when he signs three guys in 24 hours because they haven't heard of him.

They moan that the squad wasn't good enough last season (just the 12 points clear when we won it), then moan when he tries to get rid of some of said squad.

When I first get to see an Alan Stubbs St Mirren team in competitive action, I will recognise the ginger ninja and captain fantastic McGinn. That looks like it, just about. I won’t recognise the majority of the guys in the strips on the park, and in the dugout, Stubbs, Rice and Jackson are stangers to me in St Mirren tracksuits. It all feels surreal.

In my book every new arrival gets a fair go, deserves a chance to impress, but Stubbs better know what he’s doing, why he’s doing it, and needs to gel a team together faster than it takes Willo Flood to tell Dunfermline to do one.

Tick tock! Genuinely.

1 minute ago, pozbaird said:

When I first get to see an Alan Stubbs St Mirren team in competitive action, I will recognise the ginger ninja and captain fantastic McGinn. That looks like it, just about. I won’t recognise the majority of the guys in the strips on the park, and in the dugout, Stubbs, Rice and Jackson are stangers to me in St Mirren tracksuits. It all feels surreal.

In my book every new arrival gets a fair go, deserves a chance to impress, but Stubbs better know what he’s doing, why he’s doing it, and needs to gel a team together faster than it takes Willo Flood to tell Dunfermline to do one.

Tick tock! Genuinely.

Can't say I'm concerned just yet. Still early doors for us in terms of recruitment,

I'd rather be keeping Eckersley and Gary McKenzie as back up to be fair.

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

Can't say I'm concerned just yet. Still early doors for us in terms of recruitment,

I'd rather be keeping Eckersley and Gary McKenzie as back up to be fair.

I’m not concerned because there are clearly new signings still to come, and the ones that are already here, I haven’t seen in action.

My concern is  the sheer amount of change happening in one off-season. It almost seems like a huge trap door opened at the Simple Digital Twenny Twenny Wan, and 90% of the guys I knew and loved from last season fell through it.

Just now, pozbaird said:

I’m not concerned because there are clearly new signings still to come, and the ones that are already here, I haven’t seen in action.

My concern is  the sheer amount of change happening in one off-season. It almost seems like a huge trap door opened at the Simple Digital Twenny Twenny Wan, and 90% of the guys I knew and loved from last season fell through it.

I agree to an extent but the harsh reality is that several players I don't feel will be able to make the step up and in that regard, he has to be ruthless.

The only concern is that the guys who are left behind are basically left to try and pull a new squad together in terms of morale but hopefully the new guys have managed to settle in quite well and gel after the week in La Manga.

7 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

I agree to an extent but the harsh reality is that several players I don't feel will be able to make the step up and in that regard, he has to be ruthless.

The only concern is that the guys who are left behind are basically left to try and pull a new squad together in terms of morale but hopefully the new guys have managed to settle in quite well and gel after the week in La Manga.

Looks like he is being pretty ruthless, maybe that’s not the right word. One thing he cannot say is that he’s taken over someone else’s team, and until January, when he can maybe bring in his ‘own guys’, he’s fighting fires.

This is Stubbs team from day one, Stubbs assistant and Stubbs first team coach.

I hope he knows what he’s doing and can knit together a fully functioning team in jig time.

I’m judging in January, not a moment before. Jack Ross hardly set the world on fire early in his tenure. Fingers and toes X.

I usually tend to be more of a knicker wetter than a happy clapper. When Tommy Craig took over, my undergarments were drenched and indeed this was appropriate given what transpired.  With Alan Stubbs I don't have the fear at all. I reckon he will assemble a squad of big cnuts that can play a bit.  I think he will sign another centre half  and the  ex Colchester  left back/centre half so we may see Jack Baird as being cover.  My confidence is based on the squad he assembled for Hibs.   Hope I'm not wrong...

11 hours ago, Stu said:

We know you love ridiculing St Mirren fans.

It's all you live for on here.

Oneupmanship pish.

4 minutes ago, Div said:

There are more than just four who have been told to look for another club.

This is a savage re-structuring of the squad.

Fair play to Stubbs. He has clearly looked at our squad and thought this won't do.  If he can move on players not up to the standard we are looking for then great. My only hope is that we can attract better than what we have already.  Smith, Magennis and J McGinn are the only 3 that Imo are SPL quality. 

20 minutes ago, Div said:

There are more than just four who have been told to look for another club.

This is a savage re-structuring of the squad.

Wow.

It's literally never dull* being a Saints fan.

* certain periods under Gus aside.

14 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Wow.

It's literally never dull* being a Saints fan.

* certain periods under Gus aside.

It certainly isn’t dull. At the Dundee game I’m going looking for Campbell Kennedy and Tommy Docherty, so there’s at least someone I recognise at the stadium. :)

At least Stubbs isn't hiding. Like Ross 18 months ago, he's getting his own squad together, ruthlessly punting anyone he doesn't fancy and he's going to live or die off the back of his own decisions rather than use the inherited squad excuse if things go tits up. I'm encouraged by that to be honest.