The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

13 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Lamberts basically still living off a successful couple of seasons at Norwich and has done nothing of any note since  just like Coyle has been living off a successful spell at Burnley. 

Lambert was outstanding at Colchester before Norwich. He has made a few bad club errors since Norwich but i do think he is better than most being quoted

59 minutes ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Do they? It's not playing. Managing is ultimately at least as much about resources and, possibly luck in terms of the quality of squad you inherit, as much as it is about coaching and tactical ability. A bad manager in the EPL will likely be a bad manager anywhere. Not that I'm saying Lambert is a bad manager, sometimes things just don't work out and the likes of Blackburn, Villa and Wolves were all in car crash mode when he was there. Clarke's done a brilliant job at Kilmarnock. It doesn't mean every failed Premiership manager will do the same.

I would agree with this. 

Perhaps in the case of Clarke, Killie had a decent squad being mis-managed and Clarke has just steadied the ship and after a few results, an immense amount of belief has been realised leading to so many points being picked up. It may just be a perfect storm. (possibly not unlike Jack Ross taking over from Alex Rae's shambles of a managerial style). 

However, I do think Clarke is a very able coach and Killie will do very well to hold onto him for any length of time. 

Also remember many guys get jobs in the EPL based on playing career or links with that club... not necessarily anything they've done previously as a manager. 

In the case of St Mirren next season, avoiding a bad manager is far more important than getting a great manager in (stating the obvious, but really 'avoid a gamble' is more the point). Some times things just develop and things fit in nicely, other times the right appointment does no better than OK (which would probably keep St Mirren up). 

This kind of rationale is also why I think it is bonkers that some clubs get shot of managers who have proven themselves successful at that club, after half a dozen bad games. Imagine if Burnley had gotten rid of Dyche when they got relegated? They knew he was a good manager, had given them success before and put their faith in him. Now they will be in the European draw in a few weeks. 

I'm not convinced by Lambert as a manager, but the guy isn't a dud and there is a bit to be gained by dropping down a level. If his attitude is right and he can find a few players, then he could easily be a success in the Premiership (Scotland). 

In the EPL, there's no hiding place. Every club has money to spend, experienced coaches, scouts, a bit of depth etc. So if you take over the wrong club at the wrong time, it can be very difficult to pick up points. Lambert took over Stoke - who were pretty much doomed - and made a decent fist of it . Unlucky in games against Chelsea and Liverpool (IIRC) not to get wins - ended up losing both games. 

11 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Lambert was outstanding at Colchester before Norwich. He has made a few bad club errors since Norwich but i do think he is better than most being quoted

Yeah he finished mid table in league one.  Thats Pep Guardiola stuff that.  Outstanding would've been getting them promoted or at least into the playoffs. He was hopeless at Livie had a couple of decent seasons with Wycombe and Colchester and then was excellent at Norwich.  Since then he's done hee haw. He's always shunned returning to Scotland even when linked with clubs bigger than saints so will be interesting to see whether he feels his stock has dropped low enough to come back.  He may do well with saints but would undoubtedly be looking for a  much higher salary than the other candidates and I'm not sure he'd do a better job. The other worry would also be that one decent season and he'd probably be away back down south again.

Edited by Shodwall cat

Any experienced manager available to us is going to have a bit of baggage.

I tend to prefer up&comers for the Saints job but Steve Aitken (whom I wanted ahead of AR & JR) didn't have a good season & it's a bit soon for JG.

My preference remains Hopkin.

Disappointed if reports we're going to wait "another week just to get all the CV's in and then we will start to go through them" are true - I'd hoped and expected that given the circumstances GLS would have been up to a little skillduggery himself, have a short list already and be set to make a decision by the end of the week.

Edited by btb

14 minutes ago, btb said:

My preference remains Hopkin.

I can see why, but wouldn't you feel a bit shitty taking him from Livi considering what he'd done for them. It's a bit like someone taking Ross after he got us promo.... oh, wait, never mind...

Lambert did alright at Blackburn considering the state the club were in, the fans liked him and wanted him to stay. When he left everyone expected he did it to get the Celtic job, before he moved on to Wolves.

I can't see him taking the St. Mirren job to be honest, so it's a bit of a moot point but over the piece he's been a decent enough manager. 

Did Steve Clarke not take West Brom to their highest ever finish in the "Sky era"? 

Lambert hasn't even come close to that. Something about him reeks of failure, same as Coyle. That's based on nothing else but a gut feeling, though. 

3 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

Did Steve Clarke not take West Brom to their highest ever finish in the "Sky era"? 

Lambert hasn't even come close to that. Something about him reeks of failure, same as Coyle. That's based on nothing else but a gut feeling, though. 

Clarke also had a lot of top flight coaching experience before he became a manager.

6 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

I'd rather have Neilson, Hopkin or Goodwin ahead of Lambert.

As Randomguy says, the guy reeks of failure.

He also went all billy big bollocks over the Scotland job just a few months ago, why would he want to manage us? His ego won't allow it.

Got to agree i don't think there is any chance whatsoever Lambert would even consider us,  I've have absolutely no idea who will get the job but they certainly have a tough act to follow

I don't see Lambert coming as I think he'll have better options, plus he's hardly been tremendously successful as others have said. That said could be worth a punt. 

Hopkin's style is entirely different to our team, but he had a limited budget and clearly has an eye for a player. Wouldn't be opposed to him. Goodwin I think might be too soon in his career, but again no complaints if they took him.

Neilson is a good candidate too, but worry about what happened at MK Dons and whether Hearts was all his own work so to speak. 

On 27/05/2018 at 14:07, Demented Zebra said:

Neilson 16/1. What did I write this morning and you rubbihed it.  

On 27/05/2018 at 14:20, djchapsticks said:

I've explained my reasoning previously but one more time I suppose...

I rubbished it because what you were implying was that Neilson's comments on Sportsound are the reason he won't get the job, which 100% isn't the case.

If he doesn't get the job, I can promise you it's not because he mentioned budgetary restraints, it's because someone is a better candidate in the eyes of the board.

I'll put it on the other foot...Paul Lambert is now the bookies' favourite - do you honestly believe that if Lambert has held any sort of preliminary talks with St. Mirren whatsoever, that budgetary requirements haven't come up in the discussion?! Do you think that this discussion would make those talking to him in an official capacity or otherwise, baulk at the prospect of hiring him?

You can claim the drifting odds as justification for your rationale and a wee victory all you like if it makes you all warm and happy, though. You can have it. 

Neilson now 5/2....seems the reason he momentarily drifted was nothing to do with his comments after all.

Who woulda thunk it? :lol: 

6 hours ago, flyingscot said:

Hopkin's style is entirely different to our team, but he had a limited budget and clearly has an eye for a player. Wouldn't be opposed to him. Goodwin I think might be too soon in his career, but again no complaints if they took him.

I agree about Hopkin. I actually think he'd be the best of all the names mentioned. Livingston might not have always been pretty but that was the squad he had, who says with a different group of players he would play the same.

Just now, sergie's no1 fan said:

Was the obvious replacement.

Think everyone jumped on it when he went 16/1, ridiculous price.

Except for me, I went on him as soon as odds came out as I thought they'd only drop. :lol:

So I got 7/4 :P 

1 hour ago, houston_bud said:

I agree about Hopkin. I actually think he'd be the best of all the names mentioned. Livingston might not have always been pretty but that was the squad he had, who says with a different group of players he would play the same.

The plus side to Hopkin is if we are struggling he has already demonstrated that he has the ability to play a brand of football that will keep us up.

42 minutes ago, Torfason said:

The plus side to Hopkin is if we are struggling he has already demonstrated that he has the ability to play a brand of football that will keep us up.

Interestingly I'd thought earlier that Hokpin's Livi had a certain Gus-ness to them. Now I've got a soft spot for wee Gus, I don't think he was a bad manager considering some we've had, but would people like that sort of scenario again of us shitfesting our way to survival year after year? It would be made much trickier with the playoffs in position too.