The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 minute ago, Ludo*1 said:

I'd swap him for pretty much any keeper in the top flight though. That's an area you desperately need to strengthen. He's proven time and time again over the years he's not top flight quality- and if he is the best there is in the Championship, then the standard of goalkeeper in that league has regressed quite a bit IMO.

Apart from the 3 seasons he was with us when he was called up to the Scotland squad and picked up a League Cup winners medal.

34 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Samson gets a raw deal. Solid keeper who has the club at heart. At least he doesnt put in performaces like last night.

To be fair, that's really only from one foaming mess.

Samson is far from perfect, but he did a very solid job for us last year.

Edited by FTOF

Just now, houston_bud said:

Apart from the 3 seasons he was with us when he was called up to the Scotland squad and picked up a League Cup winners medal.

Are you trying to suggest his single call-up to a Scotland squad is indicative of him being a quality goalkeeper? Scott Fox has been called up more recently, for example. The 3 seasons he was with you seem to be the exception to the rule of a 17 year professional keeper in which his only other stints as a first choice keeper in the top flight of Scotland were with Motherwell and Kilmarnock in which he was rightfully regarded as a weak link.

If that's the attitude you lads are taking as to what is and isn't good enough for next season, then I'm entirely comfortable with that as you could do a hell of a lot better.

3 minutes ago, FTOF said:

To be fair, that's really only from one foaming mess.

Samson is far from perfect, but he did a very solid job for us last year.

Talking of the foaming mess, have you seen the absolute state of the black & white army threads about the next manager.:lol:

2 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Are you trying to suggest his single call-up to a Scotland squad is indicative of him being a quality goalkeeper? Scott Fox has been called up more recently, for example. The 3 seasons he was with you seem to be the exception to the rule of a 17 year professional keeper in which his only other stints as a first choice keeper in the top flight of Scotland were with Motherwell and Kilmarnock in which he was rightfully regarded as a weak link.

If that's the attitude you lads are taking as to what is and isn't good enough for next season, then I'm entirely comfortable with that as you could do a hell of a lot better.

He was called up more than once, and also when he was at Kilmarnock. 

But maybe those three seasons are the exception, maybe he just fits in well at St. Mirren. Some players perform better at certain clubs. He was very capable last season for us as well.

I don't think anyone is saying that Samson is the best we could possibly hope for, but he's performed well for St. Mirren in two separate spells and deserves credit for that. If he spends next season on the bench because the new manager signs a better keeper then I'd be happy with that. Equally I think there are areas we need to strengthen before looking at a new keeper. So far we've lost Morgan, and Davis who were two of our best players. It's also looking increasingly unlikely that Reilly will be back, and Magennis could end up at Sunderland.

Up front, centre mid, and centre half all need immediate attention from the new manager. 

3 minutes ago, houston_bud said:

He was called up more than once, and also when he was at Kilmarnock. 

But maybe those three seasons are the exception, maybe he just fits in well at St. Mirren. Some players perform better at certain clubs. He was very capable last season for us as well.

I don't think anyone is saying that Samson is the best we could possibly hope for, but he's performed well for St. Mirren in two separate spells and deserves credit for that. If he spends next season on the bench because the new manager signs a better keeper then I'd be happy with that. Equally I think there are areas we need to strengthen before looking at a new keeper. So far we've lost Morgan, and Davis who were two of our best players. It's also looking increasingly unlikely that Reilly will be back, and Magennis could end up at Sunderland.

Up front, centre mid, and centre half all need immediate attention from the new manager. 

I'll take your points - I just think you could do considerably better.

Out of interest, we were linked with Billy O'Brien, outwith his debut for you when you turfed us out the cup last season, I've not seen him once. Any good?

Just now, Ludo*1 said:

Out of interest, we were linked with Billy O'Brien, outwith his debut for you when you turfed us out the cup last season, I've not seen him once. Any good?

Decent shot stopper, played his part in our revival and I'd have been happy enough to see him stay.

I assume he'd be your number 2? I don't think he's played much this year. His personal situation probably contributed to his lack of games though.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Good goalkeeper, prone to the odd madcap howler though.

Bit like Sammy in that regard!

Just now, houston_bud said:

Decent shot stopper, played his part in our revival and I'd have been happy enough to see him stay.

I assume he'd be your number 2? I don't think he's played much this year. His personal situation probably contributed to his lack of games though.

I don't really know what's happening with our goalkeeper situation. We need to strengthen. Parish has been average with a few howlers thrown in, but we've two extremely promising keepers coming through in Kyle Gourlay and Calum Ferrie. We've been linked with O'Brien and Jack Hamilton of Hearts but the media haven't got a single signing rumour correct since McCann became our manager. Like what you were saying with Samson, it's a position that we need to strengthen, but we have other priorities. Namely that we've released both our LBs and have a strike force that don't score - And that's before it's taken into account that Kamara and Caulker will likely be poached.

I liked the bit where this Ludo lad goes on to say he's absolute shit and wouldn't hack it in the top division, only for someone in literally the next post to point out the last time he was there he was called up to the Scotland squad. That's gotta hurt. Normally you need to wait a few replies before being shown completely up.

Anyway, as for the Samson himself, he is very much just a shot stopper, not unlike just about every other goalkeeper from the middle of the Premiership down. He has his weaknesses and his strengths, the big difference comparing him to another keeper in the same vein is that we know what his strengths and weaknesses are and can work around them.

It's not like he's Bullock who suffered such a mental breakdown at losing a goal he had to be subbed!

1 hour ago, djchapsticks said:

I've explained my reasoning previously but one more time I suppose...

I rubbished it because what you were implying was that Neilson's comments on Sportsound are the reason he won't get the job, which 100% isn't the case.

If he doesn't get the job, I can promise you it's not because he mentioned budgetary restraints, it's because someone is a better candidate in the eyes of the board.

I'll put it on the other foot...Paul Lambert is now the bookies' favourite - do you honestly believe that if Lambert has held any sort of preliminary talks with St. Mirren whatsoever, that budgetary requirements haven't come up in the discussion?! Do you think that this discussion would make those talking to him in an official capacity or otherwise, baulk at the prospect of hiring him?

You can claim the drifting odds as justification for your rationale and a wee victory all you like if it makes you all warm and happy, though. You can have it. 

Bookies odds are on placed bets the new manager might not even be on their list. Let me try another way. It is well documented St Mirren are a well run club working within it's needs Robbie should know that. His answer is if you can' fund the club by throwing money at it you will not move forward. You think that sort of commet is going to win him over to the board ? You are not that blind. 

1 hour ago, glenburn bud said:

Talking of the foaming mess, have you seen the absolute state of the black & white army threads about the next manager.:lol:

Only you and FTOF that get into a foaming mess, at the sight of my name. 

Good sport. 

And Sammy doesn’t get a raw deal. 

He has just received an extension to his Contract from Jack Ross.. 

I have never abused him. 

Just my opinion, that he is not a good goalkeeper. And we will suffer next Season with him as number one. 

We got away with him this Season because of our outstanding back four. 

51 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I liked the bit where this Ludo lad goes on to say he's absolute shit and wouldn't hack it in the top division, only for someone in literally the next post to point out the last time he was there he was called up to the Scotland squad. That's gotta hurt. Normally you need to wait a few replies before being shown completely up.

Scott Fox has also been called up to the Scotland squad and he's quite clearly not good enough for the top flight either.

5 minutes ago, Ludo*1 said:

Scott Fox has also been called up to the Scotland squad and he's quite clearly not good enough for the top flight either.

Actually to be fair, getting a call up is not the seal of approval that you would think it should be.

Still, in comparison, and we know this because he has played there for many seasons, Samson is a fairly standard Scottish keeper who could do a job at any club from the bottom 6 and downwards. Is he the best we could get? No, clearly not. Is he anywhere as bad as you make him out to be, equally not.

Obviously I am thankful you are so concerned, but I reckon we'll be alright.

(caveat: That said, new manager could mean a totally different way of playing which could either highlight his weaknesses more or showcase his strengths - we'll just have to wait and see)

Samson is fine. He's no world beater, but that's why he plays for St Mirren. He was comfortably the best keeper in the championship last season, and at Saints at least, he's been much better than bigger (and more expensive) names like Paul Gallacher, Marian Kello and Jamie Langfeild. He's also better than Billy O'Brien. We could probably get a better keeper, but it's not a priority.