The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

28 minutes ago, senorsoupe said:

I'm pretty sure you are confusing the defensive hoofball of Cathro and Levein.  Neilson's Hearts (at least in the first part of the 2016-17 season) weren't bad to watch.

Even though Hearts were getting results under Neilson, I'm certain they wanted him gone for his "pedestrian, turgid pish". I'm sure the Jambos on here said it was brutal to watch and by the end wanted him gone. 

Maybe worth a few minutes reading. Independent club forums seem to attract freaks though, so God knows what lurks in there..

http://www.hmfckickback.co.uk/index.php?/topic/168134-robbie-neilson-was-not-good-enough/&

Title is a bit misleading, OP reckons Neilson was unfairly criticised.

9 hours ago, RiG said:

Hughes could probably be quite good for Saint Mirren to start with. They are a good side with a good foundation and he tends to well at sides like that which don't require a massive overhaul. Where he falls down, as you allude to, is when he needs to rectify (major) problems at clubs, players leaving and so forth, and suddenly it all falls apart. He's rotten in the transfer market. I can't think of a single player he signed whilst at ICT that improved the team and the squad fell apart in his final season there. So with Saint Mirren not in need of major surgery he could do quite well but it wouldn't be for long.

9 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

Slowly getting pissed off. I Jack you care about St Mirren why not cherry pick what you want. WILL be pissed off if we don' take 5 million and 99.9% sell on clause.  

Give me a manager who doesnt pick from previous club for players  ?

ps dont say Hartley with Falkirk...tho there is plenty im sure,  most managers like to work with what they know, be it players or staff

I cant see it being the Magennis, more the older one in McGinn as he has no time in bleeding in , Magennis maybe a side issue and project for Sunderland as they will have the cash to sign him but Jack needs players ready for the challenge of Div 1 and not players who are maybe ready.

Edited by MrDust

8 hours ago, RiG said:

Hughes could probably be quite good for Saint Mirren to start with. They are a good side with a good foundation and he tends to well at sides like that which don't require a massive overhaul. Where he falls down, as you allude to, is when he needs to rectify (major) problems at clubs, players leaving and so forth, and suddenly it all falls apart. He's rotten in the transfer market. I can't think of a single player he signed whilst at ICT that improved the team and the squad fell apart in his final season there. So with Saint Mirren not in need of major surgery he could do quite well but it wouldn't be for long.

The issue there is that we do need an overhaul. First team so far is very thin and not good enough. 

We need to bring in around 10 new players this summer. It's not going to be an easy job.

Edit: 10 in total; we've signed two already.

Edited by Coventry Saint

34 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Got a link that isn't the Express. I actively IP block both Express and Daily Mail websites.

Sunderland transfer news: Jack Ross set to make shock first signing - EXCLUSIVE

JACK ROSS is ready to raid St Mirren and take midfielder Kyle Magennis with him to Sunderland. Ross was named Black Cats boss yesterday on a two-year contract.

After swapping the Premiership new boys for a fresh challenge in English League One, one of his first aims is to sign Magennis.

The 19-year-old is valued at close to £1million and the mooted deal could smash the £850,000 club record fee that St Mirren received when they sold Ian Ferguson to Rangers in 1988.

Magennis helped the Buddies cruise to the Championship title this season and has been monitored by a number of English clubs in recent months.

Ross rated the teenager as the most exciting of his Paisley starlets, ahead even of Lewis Morgan, who won a move to Celtic and is in the current Scotland squad.

Ross, who has taken his assistant James Fowler with him to Sunderland, said: “It has not been an easy decision to leave a club and a job which I loved, but I have been offered an exciting career opportunity.

“This is an incredible club. If you look the history, facilities and fan base, you can see what this club can be. To be part of the team to help realise that potential is something that fills me with excitement.

“There’s a lot of work to be done in reshaping the squad to ensure we hit the ground running in League One, and I can’t wait to get started.”

The 41-year-old rejected a possible move to Championship side Ipswich in favour of the Black Cats, who were relegated from the same division this season.

After agreeing a compensation package of around £100,000 with St Mirren, Sunderland owner Stewart Donald said: “Jack is excited to be a part of the future we are building here, and the fact he turned down lucrative offers from elsewhere, including clubs currently in a higher division than ourselves, is testament to his commitment and desire to succeed at this club and his belief in our vision for the future.

“He was deeply impressive throughout the recruitment process.”

St Mirren must now appoint a new manager, with Livingston’s David Hopkin and out-of-work bosses Robbie Neilson, Jim McIntyre, Kenny McDowall and Gary Caldwell in the frame.

6 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Yup. Pile of bollocks.

That said, if he came up with a cool mil in his hands, I won't be pushing him away!

I like Magennis and I think there is a lot of potential in the lad, and he's going to go sometime (presumably he won't resign with us - unless we go on to do something incredible in the Premiership), so if he goes early and for a large wedge of cash compared to slipping away under a PCA to the blue bigots then I won't be all that disappointed.

12 hours ago, Demented Zebra said:

As you can imagine that makes me cringe but yes it is well documented Jack Ross is close to Rogers and Kennedy having attended their training ground a good few times / Jack Ross interviews. St Mirren have asked Jack Ross to help with the recruitment processe so who knows. J.J. where are you mate. 

Why does it make you cringe ??

Went on Twitter once. It was shite. Can anyone explain why normal people would want to go there when there are at least 3 St Mirren related forums I know of? Why doesn't someone start another one, or two, or three?
Twitter's great. You can follow and communicate with people from all different walks of life. You can also discuss a whole load more than just st mirren.

It keeps you up to date with news pretty instantly if you follow the right people.

It's my favourite social media going.

42 minutes ago, Fony Titz said:

Twitter's great. You can follow and communicate with people from all different walks of life. You can also discuss a whole load more than just st mirren.

It keeps you up to date with news pretty instantly if you follow the right people.

It's my favourite social media going.

I reccommend using tweetdeck with twitter too because the default layout is garbage . Tweetdeck makes it a readable experience. It really made me enjoy twitter.

After reading Robbie Neilson's interview on BBC regarding St Mirren job I now feel deflated with him don't think he is the right man for the job. Only a few weeks ago he was saying he would even take a coaching job. Im' realistic I know our level but you want to hear something like / we will have a good try look what Stevie Clark did with Lillie.

16 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

After reading Robbie Neilson's interview on BBC regarding St Mirren job I now feel deflated with him don't think he is the right man for the job. Only a few weeks ago he was saying he would even take a coaching job. Im' realistic I know our level but you want to hear something like / we will have a good try look what Stevie Clark did with Lillie.

Why? He said lots of correct things. 

Is it the budget comment? He's absolutely correct. He said of ANY job he goes for that he'd want to know of the board's expectations match the budget put forward. 

If the board want to push for top 6 (not saying they do) but have the second smallest budget in the league, that's not going to sit well with any prospective manger. 

You really think he's going to say 'aye, give me peanuts to spend on players and I'll deliver European football'. 

Come on! 

29 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Is it the budget comment? He's absolutely correct. He said of ANY job he goes for that he'd want to know of the board's expectations match the budget put forward. 

If the board want to push for top 6 (not saying they do) but have the second smallest budget in the league, that's not going to sit well with any prospective manger. 

You really think he's going to say 'aye, give me peanuts to spend on players and I'll deliver European football'. 

Come on! 

Plus, we've got a chief exec who regularly talks about being in the top six/four/one. Now, we know to take that with a barrel of salt, but it's worth clarifying if you're on your way in as manager.

Next year's aim should be 10th or higher. The year after, 8th or higher, and an average gate of 6k+.

Then we can set more ambitious targets, but he's absolutely right to make sure our aims are clear.

Been pointed over here from the Hearts thread.

If St Mirren appointed Robbie Neilson, I'd feel sorry for them - and I don't mean in a joking way, I mean in a "poverty stricken child from Peru" way. I'd put a tenner in a collection tin.

54 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

Come on! 

As long as he's not referring to Fitzy's comments and expecting a budget fitting a top four team..