The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

7 minutes ago, Frank Grimes said:

Worrying times for the Buds 

It looks like he was away either way, so I'm not really any more or less worried than I was before. But yes, gutted he's going.

If there has been an illegal tap-up - and there is a chance that Sunderland's new owners didn't understand the procedures, perhaps - then we might get a little bit more go-away money.

Edited by Coventry Saint

5 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

It looks like he was away either way, so I'm not really any more or less worried than I was before. But yes, gutted he's going.

If there has been an illegal tap-up - and there is a chance that Sunderland's new owners didn't understand the procedures, perhaps - then we might get a little bit more go-away money.

JR/JR's agent should understand the process, if what Sunderland say is true then JR has done the dirty on us.

24 minutes ago, MONKMAN said:

Doubt he could afford to take the Sunderland job, with his wife’s teaching salary dropping back down a band or two.

Behave yourself. There are huge financial incentives for teachers prepared to work in inner cities, war zones, the northeast of England etc 

Spoiler

Report on SkySports says he is getting 5 times the salary he was on at St. Mirren. I doubt he's worried about his wive picking up a decent salary. Also says that St. Mirren are getting 50K in compensation.

11 minutes ago, Waverley said:
  Reveal hidden contents

Report on SkySports says he is getting 5 times the salary he was on at St. Mirren. I doubt he's worried about his wive picking up a decent salary. Also says that St. Mirren are getting 50K in compensation.

£50,000 is fucking shite 

All seems a bit strange. It was reported 2 days ago that Sunderland had already spoken to him. There was no rebuttal of those stories from the St Mirren Chairman then but there has been  now that the reports are that a deal has been agreed. If he knew it was nonsense, and had spoken to Jack, he'd have just said that it was nonsense but to even mention the word 'skulduggery' hints that maybe something underhand has gone on.

Edited by Jamie_M

All seems a bit strange. It was reported 2 days ago that Sunderland had already spoken to him. There was no rebuttal of those stories from the St Mirren Chairman then but there has been  now that the reports are that a deal has been agreed. If he knew it was nonsense, and had spoken to Jack, he'd have just said that it was nonsense but to even mention the word 'skulduggery' hints that maybe something underhand has gone on.
Maybe Jack agreed terms and it's been leaked before he let StMirren know.

Who knows. Just want this nonsense over with tbh so we can appoint Boyband Bobby [emoji7]

23 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

The best thing to come out of this is the return of the word 'skulduggery' to common parlance, IMO.

25 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

Maybe St Mirren knew they were talking without permission but rather than step in and have them ask, they wait until the deal is almost done then ring Sunderland dry for extra compo for not following the rules.

On paper a good appointment but league one can be a hard league to get out of also, not so long ago we had Forest and Leeds take a few years to get out, Sheffield Utd rotted a good while there too, then there is success stories like Blackburn and Wolves in recent years. 

Its a ground Id like to visit as it looks amazing for atmosphere when near full or close to being full.

The panto season with is he is he not is hopefully cleared up soon, dont think it does any side any favours

4 minutes ago, Jim McLean's Ghost said:

Maybe St Mirren knew they were talking without permission but rather than step in and have them ask, they wait until the deal is almost done then ring Sunderland dry for extra compo for not following the rules.

That's pretty much what I think is happening here. Like watching a guy steal your car because you know it's about to break down anyway and the insurance will get you a better one.

Imperfect analogy, but you know what I mean.