The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

9 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

BBC reporting that Jack Ross has been offered an improved contract by St Mirren .

Link to story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44203044

Capture.PNG.ca21cde99212bc4ffe8a65d4b0f0d9c1.PNG

I guess he would have been on course for an improved deal just for getting the team up, you might imagine some of that would have been touched on when he improved his contract surrounding the Barnsley situation. I do feel this wouldn't have popped up so early as it has if there wasn't interest from Ipswich.

Link to story: https://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/44203044
Capture.PNG.ca21cde99212bc4ffe8a65d4b0f0d9c1.PNG

I guess he would have been on course for an improved deal just for getting the team up, you might imagine some of that would have been touched on when he improved his contract surrounding the Barnsley situation. I do feel this wouldn't have popped up so early as it has if there wasn't interest from Ipswich.
He didn't get the improved contract at the Barnsley interest.

8 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Any manager in Scotland outside of Rogers, possibly McInnes and presumably Gerrard (who is only just here) would and should take the Sunderland job if it was offered now. I know they need rebuilt from the bottom up but if you can't do it being twice the size of any other club in the division and building momentum then you shouldn't be in management. I understand why McInnes not taking it when relegation was imminent was possibly the right move but now surely they can't get any worse.

If Ross happened to have both Ipswich and Sunderland offered to him at the same time, I would take Sunderland. It has far more potential.

Folk said similar about Leeds, and it took them three seasons to sort themselves out and get out of League One. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:
1 hour ago, Bobby_F said:
Much as I don't agree with a lot of what 'Kanye' says, there is a point at which Saints have to say "Look, we've given you a more than reasonable degree of flexibility, but we are now X weeks away from the start of the season, and need you to commit to us till, say, January".
Of course it could be that when Barnsley were interested, or even Dundee, that we included a clause saying we'd let him speak to anyone at any time.
IF that was the case, there's really not a lot we can do about it other than hope that JR himself realises that he can only do this for so long without it potentially impacting his own future in one of two ways: potential future employers think he's touting himself here/there/everywhere; if he does end up staying, his pre-season prep will have been impacted which will have a knock on effect on how Saints do next season - and therefore by extension, his own reputation.

And what would you be proposing that they offer him in exchange for that commitment? Increased salary? Reduced compensation demands when he does leave? Because nobody in their right mind is going to give that for free.

Aye.

Looks like the board have done precisely that.

Sounds like they understand that no matter how great Jack has been for the club, and how much we want to give him the best chance of managing at a higher level, that for Saints' sake we can't just let him speak to one club after another ad infinitum.

And this looks like their way of saying "commit to us, and we'll reward you; or decide you're going, and go".

Good move by the club, and let's hope JR says 'yes' and we can get ready for the 18/19 season without any further distractions.

Smart move by the club before there's an actual offer from Ipswich. It sort of forces their hand a little as well and I would be shocked if they don't state their position on the back of this. If they don't come up with an offer, Jack pretty much has the choice of either sign or make your intentions clear that you want out at earliest chance.

Quite a smart move I'd say. 

1 hour ago, Jamie_M said:

He didn't get the improved contract at the Barnsley interest.

There was some very strong chat about it at the time. With all the hubbub about getting promoted I'll admit I never followed the story up and honestly thought he had.

Edited by Buddist Monk

There was some very strong chat about it at the time. With all the hubbub about getting promoted I'll admit I never followed the story up and honestly thought he had.
They had a meeting, prepped a deal, were going to offer it but Jack pulled out/wasn't getting the Barnsley gig, so the new deal never happened.

He was always due a renegotiation after promotion.

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/16029213._He___s_showed_unbelievable_loyalty_to_our_football_club__St_Mirren_chief_Tony_Fitzpatrick_delighted_with_Jack_Ross__decision_to_stay_in_Paisley/

15 minutes ago, Jamie_M said:

They had a meeting, prepped a deal, were going to offer it but Jack pulled out/wasn't getting the Barnsley gig, so the new deal never happened.

He was always due a renegotiation after promotion.

http://www.the-gazette.co.uk/sport/16029213._He___s_showed_unbelievable_loyalty_to_our_football_club__St_Mirren_chief_Tony_Fitzpatrick_delighted_with_Jack_Ross__decision_to_stay_in_Paisley/

Thanks for the info.

Some amount of drivel getting spouted in here. It’s only May, the transfer window isn’t open & the fixtures aren’t announced yet we are to put pressure on Jack Ross. The season finished yesterday.
He’s earned his right to talk to these other, bigger clubs. We just need to put up and concentrate on ourselves. I don’t expect Jack Ross to down tools while this is all going on.
We could get off to a flier and end up losing Jack Ross in September. This is the best time for it to happen should Jack Ross leave. He probably will.
The board have done the best they can by offering him an improved deal. All these calls for the club to make a statement and put him on gardening leave are nonsense and make us sound like the drama queens from Govan.

11 hours ago, buddie06smfc said:

I don’t expect Jack Ross to down tools while this is all going on.

I think this is probably the most cogent point.

Whether he goes or not, we are not in a position where there is acrimony between him and the board or him and the fans and I think it's very important we keep it like that. I don't feel putting pressure on him will help.

Even if he does go then you can expect him to be mindful of the club he's leaving (and rightly so, this is not just a one way relationship Ross has benefited from St Mirren as vice versa) rather than clearing out as quickly as possible and leaving a mess behind.

From a more holistic viewpoint I think managers might need to adhere to some sort of window in the same way players do, and I've thought that since the player window was introduced (not just because our manager is currently in that position). I feel this affects Scottish clubs more because we don't work in a DoF/HC environment, but as my previous comments have outlined there is no easy way to implement such a thing and whether it would work is open to question.

Saints first signing of the summer will be announced this afternoon.

No idea who it is, but it's not the widely tipped completion of the Paul McGinn deal.

Stand by buddies..................

11 minutes ago, Div said:

Saints first signing of the summer will be announced this afternoon.

No idea who it is, but it's not the widely tipped completion of the Paul McGinn deal.

Stand by buddies..................

Hoping it's a nice positive one just as season tickets go on sale.

19 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

Liam Smith on a permanent deal ? 

Wishful thinking :P

It's the nature of transfers that you always want something new - we've all heard the McGinn, Halkett, O'Ware, etc speculation. I'd like to hear that we've signed a totally left-field new player that nobody was previously aware of being linked with us.

A real early statement of intent.

Liam Smith would be good, too :P

It's the nature of transfers that you always want something new - we've all heard the McGinn, Halkett, O'Ware, etc speculation. I'd like to hear that we've signed a totally left-field new player that nobody was previously aware of being linked with us.
A real early statement of intent.
Liam Smith would be good, too [emoji14]

You won’t be disappointed then. Had never heard of the guy we’re signing and he doesn’t seem to have a Wiki page.

There will be meltdowns from the same folk who have been moaning at the lack of signings.