The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

2 minutes ago, AllyM said:

Sunderland don't appear to be setting their sights too high on thisappointment. If I'm reading it correctly, the current favourite, in some bookies at least, is Alex Rae. FFS.

It's just because that's a name they've heard of. In the same way that the average fan down here hasn't heard about what a great job Ross did, nor have they heard about what a terrible job Rae did. Or, they've heard it from Rae himself and he didn't use the word 'terrible'.

1 hour ago, Skyline Drifter said:

Any manager in Scotland outside of Rogers, possibly McInnes and presumably Gerrard (who is only just here) would and should take the Sunderland job if it was offered now. I know they need rebuilt from the bottom up but if you can't do it being twice the size of any other club in the division and building momentum then you shouldn't be in management. I understand why McInnes not taking it when relegation was imminent was possibly the right move but now surely they can't get any worse.

If Ross happened to have both Ipswich and Sunderland offered to him at the same time, I would take Sunderland. It has far more potential.

Mcinnes also had no idea who was going to be owning the club on a weekly basis when he was offered the job.  Now that the clubs  been taken over and has no debt and new owners that uncertainty has gone and there's not the chance of Ross getting the job and then new owners coming in and wanting to bring in their own man.

52 minutes ago, Shodwall cat said:

Mcinnes also had no idea who was going to be owning the club on a weekly basis when he was offered the job.  Now that the clubs  been taken over and has no debt and new owners that uncertainty has gone and there's not the chance of Ross getting the job and then new owners coming in and wanting to bring in their own man.

I would have thought that the new owners would be looking at a higher profiled boss to get the fans behind them.

1 hour ago, Sittìng on the fence said:

I would have thought that the new owners would be looking at a higher profiled boss to get the fans behind them.

I reckon their looking for a fresh start. The recent big name managers havent cut the mustard so time to look for someone who can do an Eddie Howe or Sean Dyche with the club. Its league one their in too so your not going to get many big names interested. I'm sure Alex rae has only been linked as he's an ex-player . I very much doubt their at all interested in him.

Edited by Shodwall cat

3 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

Lets hope for Jack and his agents sake that he is offered one of these jobs,if not he will look like a complete mug and his credibility will be through the floor as he gushes about how "It was always my intention to lead St Mirren in the premiership"

I hope he gets the gig he wants If not I will be disappointed but accept it ether way it needs sorting as quick as possible we need to prepare for the forthcoming season. No idea if players are holding off to see who the manager is . Can't see anything happening this week Ipswich still have Hurst to speak with he has a final play off game this weekend. Sunderland ? Well Jack is in the sun probably with a laptop so a video interview is possible. Who knows Patrick Thistle next :lol:

1 minute ago, kanyewestbank said:

I genuinely want Jack to have a stellar career,i really do however i am not and never will be in the camp that some supporters seem to be ,of JR being able to do what he wants when he wants because he was a great manager for us.Time for Gordon Scott to reign him in or let him go

Yes im with you on that St Mirren comes first above all else. 

1 minute ago, kanyewestbank said:

I genuinely want Jack to have a stellar career,i really do however i am not and never will be in the camp that some supporters seem to be ,of JR being able to do what he wants when he wants because he was a great manager for us.Time for Gordon Scott to reign him in or let him go

Listen to yourself :lol:

This isn't school. It's real life and it seems to me that your board and Jack Ross are being open and honest about what's going on. These are life changing decisions for someone like Ross, expecting him to make a decision in quick time is ridiculous.

How exactly would you "reign in" Jack Ross here? 

22 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

The solution is simple put Jack Ross on gardening leave while he sorts out his future , we have capable people at the club who can deal with pre contracts and renewals.Jack Ross should not be involved in player recruitment going forward,that should be the sole remit of his successor

Get a grip ffs. Gardening leave!!

By all accounts this was his summer holiday anyway so what exactly are we missing out on?

27 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

The solution is simple put Jack Ross on gardening leave while he sorts out his future , we have capable people at the club who can deal with pre contracts and renewals.Jack Ross should not be involved in player recruitment going forward,that should be the sole remit of his successor

Put the manager of the year on gardening leave ?

That's the best yet.

40 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

Who made you the gatekeeper of St Mirren supporters you odious clown ? Jack Ross is being open and honest about whats going on !!! St Mirren come first ,not the aspirations of our current manager 

It's an open forum, ya tit. I don't need to be a St Mirren fan or the gatekeeper of them to tell you that you're being a reactionary fud.

31 minutes ago, kanyewestbank said:

:lol:

You should not be involved in adult discussion.

47 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

This isn't school. It's real life and it seems to me that your board and Jack Ross are being open and honest about what's going on. These are life changing decisions for someone like Ross, expecting him to make a decision in quick time is ridiculous.

To be fair, the club haven't made any comment on the situation yet, and Jack's only comments have come as a guest on BT Sport, so they're not being particularly open, therefore difficult to tell how honest they're being.

My only worry is the club, and the possibility of us missing out on signing players due to the uncertainty regarding the manager's position. I would like it cleared up sooner rather than later, and would like to think there has been some frank dialogue between the manager and the chairman on this. I've no issue with him taking his time, but when he is then linked with another club, it appears there may be a queue of clubs from the second and third tier in England come the middle of the summer, making it extremely unlikely that he will still be here next season.

All I personally want is some clarity and some consideration given to the club's position as well as the manager's. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but that's what this kind of speculation does to fans I suppose.

[emoji38]

Go ahead and breach his contact, get taken to a tribunal and have to pay it up rather than receive compensation when he leaves of his own accord.

[emoji38]

4 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Much as I don't agree with a lot of what 'Kanye' says, there is a point at which Saints have to say "Look, we've given you a more than reasonable degree of flexibility, but we are now X weeks away from the start of the season, and need you to commit to us till, say, January".

Of course it could be that when Barnsley were interested, or even Dundee, that we included a clause saying we'd let him speak to anyone at any time.

IF that was the case, there's really not a lot we can do about it other than hope that JR himself realises that he can only do this for so long without it potentially impacting his own future in one of two ways: potential future employers think he's touting himself here/there/everywhere; if he does end up staying, his pre-season prep will have been impacted which will have a knock on effect on how Saints do next season - and therefore by extension, his own reputation.

8 minutes ago, Soctty said:

To be fair, the club haven't made any comment on the situation yet, and Jack's only comments have come as a guest on BT Sport, so they're not being particularly open, therefore difficult to tell how honest they're being.

My only worry is the club, and the possibility of us missing out on signing players due to the uncertainty regarding the manager's position. I would like it cleared up sooner rather than later, and would like to think there has been some frank dialogue between the manager and the chairman on this. I've no issue with him taking his time, but when he is then linked with another club, it appears there may be a queue of clubs from the second and third tier in England come the middle of the summer, making it extremely unlikely that he will still be here next season.

All I personally want is some clarity and some consideration given to the club's position as well as the manager's. Maybe I'm being unreasonable, but that's what this kind of speculation does to fans I suppose.

Looking at it from the outside, St Mirren or Ross haven't been doing things behind the fans back though. Everyone knew Ipswich were granted permission to speak to him and everyone knew Ross went for the interview. I'm not sure it's very professional to say much more whilst the process is ongoing. The clarity you should have is the trust in your current board, I'm sure you don't expect that they're sitting on their hands waiting for Ross to make up his mind - they'll have already been speaking to potential replacements informally. I expect if/when Ross does go that a suitable replacement is quickly appointed and you can get on with your squad building.

1 minute ago, Bobby_F said:

Much as I don't agree with a lot of what 'Kanye' says, there is a point at which Saints have to say "Look, we've given you a more than reasonable degree of flexibility, but we are now X weeks away from the start of the season, and need you to commit to us till, say, January".

I'm not sure there is a point that it comes to that, not once you've granted him permission to speak to another club anyway. You can't say "aye, speak to him but we want you to make your decision in 5 days time".  Asking Ross to commit to January may also see him walk away - if he knows any opportunity within that time period that comes his way will be rejected by the club he may well find it's in his best interests to be on the free market with his reputation in tact.

Short of it is I fully understand why your board are being as flexible as possible to try and keep Jack Ross for as long as possible. Taking the hard line with someone you have a good working relationship with isn't the way to go IMO.

Of course it could be that when Barnsley were interested, or even Dundee, that we included a clause saying we'd let him speak to anyone at any time.
IF that was the case, there's really not a lot we can do about it other than hope that JR himself realises that he can only do this for so long without it potentially impacting his own future in one of two ways: potential future employers think he's touting himself here/there/everywhere; if he does end up staying, his pre-season prep will have been impacted which will have a knock on effect on how Saints do next season - and therefore by extension, his own reputation.

And what would you be proposing that they offer him in exchange for that commitment? Increased salary? Reduced compensation demands when he does leave? Because nobody in their right mind is going to give that for free.

7 hours ago, Skyline Drifter said:

..but now surely they can't get any worse.

Just look at Blackburn Rovers, every time you thought they had plateaued they dropped another level. Granted that is an extreme case with all sorts of shit going on in the background, but it definitely highlights the need to be careful on timing. Sunderland aren't Rovers, but it is interesting seeing both clubs effectively drop straight down the divisions when there are problems at boardroom level.

1 hour ago, kanyewestbank said:

ACEED69B-2EC5-4F71-BE68-A3B213795D86.jpeg