The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Don't care if it's the pitch, the funding or whatever, fact is there are some posters (including one who has crawled out from under his rock) who are far more bothered about that than winning the Championship. Mind you, they seem to have taken an interest in the football side of things again after last night's crucial defeat has provided them with the chance to spread more of their doom mongering pish.

Spot on Stu, the best option is to put both culprits on ignore.

6 minutes ago, Jan mosniack said:

Unable to make Paimerston on Sat, stuck in Glesga. Could make the Buddies party game tho. Will I be able to get a ticket?

Only for the away end. Home end is sold out.

1 hour ago, Stu said:

Only for the away end. Home end is sold out.

3 minutes ago, Jan mosniack said:

Cheers Stu, will give it  a go. A few ex Queens players likely to feature and guaranteed a party atmosphere regardless of the result.

Tickets for the Away stand are only available from Capplielow and some sport shop in Greenock. There will be none for sale at SMP on the day of the game.

Oh right. Will have tae have another look at the fixture list. Thanks for the info guys.
Maybe I'm mistaken, I was under the impression that Morton fans would still be able to get tickets at the ticket booth on the day and then scan it at the turnstiles?

I'd double check out both club websites if your keen!

Also nice to see Jack Ross being ambitious for next season. I'm not expecting a top six finish or anything like that, but I'd like to see us at least try. We really stagnated last time we were in the Premiership, especially after the cup win. We did get our highest SPL era finish of 8th, but from memory there was a bawhair between 8th and 11th that year.

5 minutes ago, geo87 said:

Do you reckon scott is dipping into own pockets for any wages?

I doubt it and, TBH, I'd hope not. We need to be self-sufficient. If anything the sales of players (plus hopefully some John McGinn cash) could inflate our spending power slightly, but I'd much prefer to see us living and competing within our means.

On 17/04/2018 at 15:02, paisleysaints said:

After reading the first two lines of any Buddist Monk post

Simply for asking a question? Jinkies you are a sensitive wee soul aren't you? My suggestion, try the ignore button and save yourself all that internal angst.

Now... onto other things, is it just me or should Tony Fitz be told he is not allowed to speak to the press ever again? I like the guy, he clearly has St Mirren at heart, but his endless renta-quotes about us being the Leicester City of Scotland or that we've got Alex Ferguson Mk2 and we're not going to sack him this time is just tabloid garbage, makes us look like idiots and doesn't do much for Fitzpatrick himself. We've only just managed to forget the "Well be winning the league in 5 years time" bs he was spouting a few year back.

So, Tony, mucka, me ol' mate, do us all a favour and politely decline requests for comment.

To be fair, the headlines don't do his quotes justice. His actual comments are fair, along the lines of;

We're a small club, and Leicester are an inspiration. Why can't small clubs compete with the bigger clubs? Surely we've got to try?

The tone and sentiment really isn't all that different to what Jack Ross said about emulating Motherwell and St Johnstone. I don't see anyone cracking up about the fact he's suggested we could finish second behind Celtic and be in Europe!

He's obviously not saying we will do that but you've got to be ambitious - settling for not getting relegated is shite.

13 minutes ago, Smeato said:

To be fair, the headlines don't do his quotes justice. His actual comments are fair, along the lines of;

We're a small club, and Leicester are an inspiration. Why can't small clubs compete with the bigger clubs? Surely we've got to try?

The tone and sentiment really isn't all that different to what Jack Ross said about emulating Motherwell and St Johnstone. I don't see anyone cracking up about the fact he's suggested we could finish second behind Celtic and be in Europe!

He's obviously not saying we will do that but you've got to be ambitious - settling for not getting relegated is shite.

That's fair, we all know that journos more often than not will favour the clickbait bullshit title. Sad indictment of the times as it's rife amongst all media outlets these days.

When Ross speaks he seems very keen to avoid hyperbole, Fitz on the other hand enjoys those flights of fancy and I think that leads to his comments being shown in a less than favourable light.

19 minutes ago, Smeato said:

He said Leicester winning the EPL was a miracle and St Mirren winning the Championship is "every bit as good". I'm not sure you'll find many that agree with that view.

He said Leicester winning the EPL was a miracle and St Mirren winning the Championship is "every bit as good". I'm not sure you'll find many that agree with that view.
Again I read that more as the turnaround from absolutely certain relegation to Champions in 16 months as a miracle. St Mirren winning the league as probably the 3rd or so biggest budget in the league isn't quite so incredible.

17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

3 minutes ago, Smeato said:
17 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

Again I read that more as the turnaround from absolutely certain relegation to Champions in 16 months as a miracle. St Mirren winning the league as probably the 3rd or so biggest budget in the league isn't quite so incredible.

I only saw the quote out of context and thought he was suggesting that we'd do a Leicester City NEXT season and win the Premiership :D!

33 minutes ago, The Moonster said:

I agree it's a bit far fetched but let's be honest, if someone had told you in January 2017 when we were 8 adrift at the bottom that we would win the championship at the end of next season, you'd have carted them off.