The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Now ain't really the time but if we are to make a serious go of it next season in the top flight, and by that I mean not come straight back down, we'll need to have quite a bit of churn in the squad.

We've a lot of players out on loan at the moment, and I don't think many if any of them will make the cut. Add in the likes of Sutton and Irvine who aren't even getting stripped these days, and the loan players going back to their parent clubs and we're looking at as many as 14 going out the way.

Sutton
Irvine
Duffy
Kirkpatrick
O'Keefe
Horne
Whyte
MacDonald
Todd
Stewart
Donati

Smith
Hill
Morgan

I think the gaffer sees something in Ross Stewart so he might stay, whilst Todd undoubtedly has "something" but of the others I can't see any of them staying.

Also think we'll need a better backup keeper for Sammy as the other Ross Stewart doesn't look good enough to me!

Big summer ahead!

25 minutes ago, Div said:

Now ain't really the time but if we are to make a serious go of it next season in the top flight, and by that I mean not come straight back down, we'll need to have quite a bit of churn in the squad.

We've a lot of players out on loan at the moment, and I don't think many if any of them will make the cut. Add in the likes of Sutton and Irvine who aren't even getting stripped these days, and the loan players going back to their parent clubs and we're looking at as many as 14 going out the way.

Sutton
Irvine
Duffy
Kirkpatrick
O'Keefe
Horne
Whyte
MacDonald
Todd
Stewart
Donati

Smith
Hill
Morgan

I think the gaffer sees something in Ross Stewart so he might stay, whilst Todd undoubtedly has "something" but of the others I can't see any of them staying.

Also think we'll need a better backup keeper for Sammy as the other Ross Stewart doesn't look good enough to me!

Big summer ahead!

Agree with that  we will need a few experienced top flight players to come in if we are to make any sort of Impact which begs the question what positions? Couple midfielders and defenders in wing backs left and right , we are ok in the middle and have options for our forward line. Can see Jason coming back if County go down. 

45 minutes ago, Div said:

Sutton
Irvine
Duffy
Kirkpatrick
O'Keefe
Horne
Whyte
MacDonald
Todd
Stewart
Donati

Smith
Hill
Morgan

Big summer ahead!

As you've said, though, only two on that entire list are currently anywhere near the first team, so I'm not too fussed about any of that lot going. I think it'll come down to how many of the first XI we can keep in place.

Two (Morgan & Smith) are definitely away and will be a big miss. Aside from that, it'll be vital to get the likes of Cammy, Reilly, McGinn, Eckersley, and so on, tied down to new deals. I'd like to think they'd all stick around. 

Either way, we're in for yet another fascinating transfer window. We've seen that Jack likes to get his work done early, so I bet we'll see some PCAs being done once promotion is confirmed.

57 minutes ago, Div said:

Big summer ahead!

We haven't seen much of him and rarely behind the first team defence. Would be interesting if we get over the line to perhaps give Sammy a break and him a try?

Agree with that  we will need a few experienced top flight players to come in if we are to make any sort of Impact which begs the question what positions? Couple midfielders and defenders in wing backs left and right , we are ok in the middle and have options for our forward line. Can see Jason coming back if County go down. 

Naismith has arguably been the best right back in the league this season. With no disrespect he will be going to a club a lot higher up the league than newly promoted or most likely away down south.

You can however have Keith Watson back.

25 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

As you've said, though, only two on that entire list are currently anywhere near the first team, so I'm not too fussed about any of that lot going. I think it'll come down to how many of the first XI we can keep in place.

Two (Morgan & Smith) are definitely away and will be a big miss. Aside from that, it'll be vital to get the likes of Cammy, Reilly, McGinn, Eckersley, and so on, tied down to new deals. I'd like to think they'd all stick around. 

Either way, we're in for yet another fascinating transfer window. We've seen that Jack likes to get his work done early, so I bet we'll see some PCAs being done once promotion is confirmed.

Cammy Smith and Eckersley are under contract for next season so need to worry about them. McGinn should be easy enough to get tied down.

10 minutes ago, Widge said:

Naismith has arguably been the best right back in the league this season. With no disrespect he will be going to a club a lot higher up the league than newly promoted or most likely away down south.

Was going to say that (well, not the bit about Watson). Naismith was getting linked with clubs down south in January, there's no way he's coming back to us.

1 minute ago, Stu said:

Cammy Smith and Eckersley are under contract for next season so need to worry about them. McGinn should be easy enough to get tied down.

Was going to say that (well, not the bit about Watson). Naismith was getting linked with clubs down south in January, there's no way he's coming back to us.

Cheers, didn't realise that about those two. Great news. And yeah, McGinn has already implied he won't be difficult to negotiate with. 

27 minutes ago, Widge said:

Money talks would never argue that side Jason is a Buddie which might help to swing things also a manager that players speak so highly. Yes if a big club wants Jason then I'm sure they will get him. County got him for next to hee haw our last board were  bad for that. 

47 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

What makes you think Smith is away ? 

20 hours ago, Arch Stanton said:

I disagree. In the four seasons he was the manager, Saints won a total of 23 league games at home out of 76...a home win percentage of just over 30%.

7 of those wins came in his final season which meant his home win percentage for the first three seasons was only 28%!!!

Going to home games became interminable and I believe that a change was the right decision. However, to appoint Tommy Craig was just about the worst possible replacement.

In the 4 seasons he was manager he guided us to our best finish in the top league for over 20 years (twice) and won us the League Cup for the first time in our history.

Utterly bonkers to let him go without someone better lined up, as has been proven by our struggles over the next few seasons!

Don't sack/get rid of someone for the sake of it. Certainly don't do it just to save some money...

Edited by Soctty

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

Money talks would never argue that side Jason is a Buddie which might help to swing things also a manager that players speak so highly. Yes if a big club wants Jason then I'm sure they will get him. County got him for next to hee haw our last board were  bad for that. 

To be fair, Naismith would have gone for nothing in the summer, and had spent most of the previous season out injured, so not sure how much we could have done.

Edited by Soctty

1 hour ago, Demented Zebra said:

The old board left six months before Naismith.

There is no chance Naismith will sign for us.

Edited by Stu

Think you've already seen Jack preparing for next season (or let's just say preparing us for next season).

Mullen (2.5 years), Flynn (2.5 years) and Hippo (1.5 years) all signed longer deals when they joined in January.

Looking at the team that started in Dumfries;

Samson - has another year left

Smith - will return to Hearts - I'd say unlikely we'll be in a position to bring him back
MacKenzie - Out of contract. I don't know if we'll offer him another deal. Hasn't played too much this season.
Baird - signed a contract extension in February - here for another year at least
Eckersley - has another year left

McGinn - out of contract in the summer - imagine he'll be offered a new deal and hopefully he'll accept
Magennis - has two years left - might possibly attract bids in the summer but we'll really be in no rush to sell until next summer
Flynn - 2 years left

Smith - 1 year left
Morgan - will go to Celtic. Although I've seen plenty folk saying they'll loan him out again, I don't think so.
Mullen - 2 years left

Stelios - out of contract
Donati - you think will be leaving unless he joins coaching staff
Sutton - leaving for sure
McShane - 1 year left
Reilly - out of contract - will definitely be offered a new deal
Stewart - 1 year left
Hippo - 1 year left

Davis - When he signed for a year the club said there was an option for another year - I've no idea how these options work!

So we're pretty good with most of the current first team for next season. 

The main one we need to keep hold of is Jack Ross and that is where I think we will definitely struggle :-(

3 hours ago, Widge said:

Stephen O'Donnell is much, much better than Jason.

Edited by Spam_Valley

46 minutes ago, Div said:

Think you've already seen Jack preparing for next season (or let's just say preparing us for next season).

Mullen (2.5 years), Flynn (2.5 years) and Hippo (1.5 years) all signed longer deals when they joined in January.

Looking at the team that started in Dumfries;

Samson - has another year left

Smith - will return to Hearts - I'd say unlikely we'll be in a position to bring him back
MacKenzie - Out of contract. I don't know if we'll offer him another deal. Hasn't played too much this season.
Baird - signed a contract extension in February - here for another year at least
Eckersley - has another year left

McGinn - out of contract in the summer - imagine he'll be offered a new deal and hopefully he'll accept
Magennis - has two years left - might possibly attract bids in the summer but we'll really be in no rush to sell until next summer
Flynn - 2 years left

Smith - 1 year left
Morgan - will go to Celtic. Although I've seen plenty folk saying they'll loan him out again, I don't think so.
Mullen - 2 years left

Stelios - out of contract
Donati - you think will be leaving unless he joins coaching staff
Sutton - leaving for sure
McShane - 1 year left
Reilly - out of contract - will definitely be offered a new deal
Stewart - 1 year left
Hippo - 1 year left

Davis - When he signed for a year the club said there was an option for another year - I've no idea how these options work!

So we're pretty good with most of the current first team for next season. 

The main one we need to keep hold of is Jack Ross and that is where I think we will definitely struggle :-(

Thank goodness for Stevie Clark can see clubs wanting him hopefully taking attention away from Ross. 

I've said it several times over the season, while we have a team that can be creative and enjoyable to watch it's really not a team that can shut up shop. All fine and well when you are top of the division but when you've been promoted and sitting bottom, that's when you need a bit of beef in the side.

I don't want to fill the side with "agricultural players" but we do need to strengthen the squad in terms of physical presence.

Edited by Buddist Monk

7 minutes ago, Demented Zebra said:

Thank goodness for Stevie Clark can see clubs wanting him hopefully taking attention away from Ross. 

This is true. Those nagging Sevco rumours persist - but you'd imagine they'd go for Clark first if they decide they need to twist this summer. If we're losing Ross, I reckon it'll be to England.

4 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

I've said it several times over the season, while we have a team that can be creative and enjoyable to watch it's really not a team that can shut up shop. All fine and well when you are top of the division but when you've been promoted and sitting bottom, that's when you need a bit of beef in the side.

I don't want to fill the side with "agricultural players" but we do need to strengthen the squad in terms of physical presence.

100% agree with this. We're a very small team and definitely need a true spoiler in midfield and probably a bigger guy at the back, too.