The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

Money isn't everything in life. Not to everyone at any rate. Plenty of people have refused more lucrative jobs for any number of reasons. And taken poorer paid jobs over greater paid. The best job I ever had was also one of the poorest paid I ever had (DJ in Spain). There are pluses and minuses in every decision and money plays its part.  There is also family, opportunity and loyalty. Derek McInnes (twice) is an example.

Jack has many young players who have relied on him and he has attracted players to St Mirren that would not be there if it wasn't for him personally - would he abandon them? He has won nothing in his career so far so would he give up an amazing turnround from relegation certainties to Championship winners with only 12 games left? If he doesn't take Barnsley will there be no more offers? I think there will be. There is not much time and no window at Barnsley to help save them. If he doesn't and gets bumped he will get another job but with a tarnished reputation. If he stays in Paisley and wins the League his reputation is upheld and his stock rises. And he can maybe have a better opportunity in better circumstances at the start of a new season or transfer window than with only a few months to go with his hands tied to a squad he didn't choose.

Difficult decision if he has to make one but I would not assume he will automatically take it if offered. Just like the Dundee offer I think Jack will reject it and enhance his reputation a bit longer attracting better opportunities.  He will go and some point but with only 3 months to save a club from relegation is not the best set of circumstances.

All of the stuff about St. Mirren and ties there will probably be irrelevant in the end. However, that point about Barnsley's position and what he could do there is a fair one. It's not easy to just assume he gets kept on if Barnsley go down, and the move would be for nothing. If Jack Ross decides it's worth that risk, I don't think there's anything that'd hold him. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it down because of the risk if he was offered.

1 hour ago, billyg said:

The club are quoted in the Herald this morning as being "confident of keeping Jack " in this case until the end of the season at least. This is the exact same quote used when Dundee made an approach in the summer . Gut feeling is he won't be going anywhere for now , even if he's offered the job at Barnsley. Rumour is at least one big club have notified St Mirren of their interest in Ross , and will pursue him during the close season !

If it's Sevco as rumored, it would be interesting to say the least how their hoardes would react to Jack being on record as calling Brendan Rodgers his managerial role model not so very long ago.

4 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

If it's Sevco as rumored, it would be interesting to say the least how their hoardes would react to Jack being on record as calling Brendan Rodgers his managerial role model not so very long ago.

Both Glasgow clubs are interested.

20 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

All of the stuff about St. Mirren and ties there will probably be irrelevant in the end. However, that point about Barnsley's position and what he could do there is a fair one. It's not easy to just assume he gets kept on if Barnsley go down, and the move would be for nothing. If Jack Ross decides it's worth that risk, I don't think there's anything that'd hold him. However, I wouldn't be surprised to see him turn it down because of the risk if he was offered.

I don't see any risk. He will be offered at the very least a 2 year deal. If he was sacked in the Summer he will pocket a hefty sum.

If he was available in the Summer back in Scotland  and your club was looking for a manager, he would instantly be a front runner.

Just now, Colkitto said:

I don't see any risk. He will be offered at the very least a 2 year deal. If he was sacked in the Summer he will pocket a hefty sum.

If he was available in the Summer back in Scotland  and your club was looking for a manager, he would instantly be a front runner.

It's a hefty sum after a failed job. He'd have a mark against his name to future employers, and while yes, he'd probably be offered jobs up here, if his ambition IS to go to England, why f**k his future chances down there?

It's also a NEEDLESS risk. If he gets offered the job, and he holds on for a bit, probably even just a matter of months, he could get offered a better job with a transfer window and a full season ahead. The end of the season isn't far off. He'll have had two great seasons which ended with a title.

I could easily see him, while not necessarily being loyal as such, staying where he is. I just don't think the risk is worth the gain.

1 minute ago, Randy Giles said:

It's a hefty sum after a failed job. He'd have a mark against his name to future employers, and while yes, he'd probably be offered jobs up here, if his ambition IS to go to England, why f**k his future chances down there?

It's also a NEEDLESS risk. If he gets offered the job, and he holds on for a bit, probably even just a matter of months, he could get offered a better job with a transfer window and a full season ahead. The end of the season isn't far off. He'll have had two great seasons which ended with a title.

Exactly. Has to be right club at right time. No point going down, getting relegated and risking ruining your reputation if England is his ambitions long term. 

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

I could easily see him, while not necessarily being loyal as such, staying where he is. I just don't think the risk is worth the gain.

Are Barnsley really bonkers enough to sack someone who's come in at this stage, given the situation they're in? Anything's possible, I guess, but they would look mental, and completely unappealing as an employer, if they make themselves look that trigger happy.

Then again, even the clubs with the fastest revolving doors still attract managers, so maybe they don't give a f**k.

2 minutes ago, Randy Giles said:

If the job offer doesn't come about in the Summer and he goes into the new season and St Mirren don't perform well and look like relegation contenders, that would be an even bigger mistake.

You have to take your chance when it comes along. Hanging about for a job that may not come along would be utter folly  

grubby desires for more money.

Makes it sound like chasing a couple of quid. We are talking several hundred thousand pounds put away for the future, worst case scenario, if it goes tits up and he is binned in the summer. Or, if it goes well, ticket to the big time.

Those who mentioned tarnished reputation, would failing to keep a team up, from their position, under the circumstances really have much impact on that? Doubtful. He'd walk into any Scottish Premiership job bar Celtic

22 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Are Barnsley really bonkers enough to sack someone who's come in at this stage, given the situation they're in? Anything's possible, I guess, but they would look mental, and completely unappealing as an employer, if they make themselves look that trigger happy.

Then again, even the clubs with the fastest revolving doors still attract managers, so maybe they don't give a f**k.

Clubs down south sack managers at the drop of a hat.  Far stranger things have happened than a club appointing a manager in February then booting him when they're relegated.

Could be he'll ask for assurances that he won't get the boot if they go down.

21 minutes ago, Colkitto said:

If the job offer doesn't come about in the Summer and he goes into the new season and St Mirren don't perform well and look like relegation contenders, that would be an even bigger mistake.

You have to take your chance when it comes along. Hanging about for a job that may not come along would be utter folly  

Don't think anyone is expecting anything other than a relegation battle if we go up so can't see it harming his reputation too much.

A case can be made for him staying to win the league then having his pick of the jobs with a clean slate rather than going and trying to keep someone else's squad up with no opportunity to take it. On the flip side Barnsley seem to be a well run club (or they were until the takeover) and aren't a complete basketcase like Sunderland, so that aspect may appeal.

17 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

The other team are apparently Hearts (Levein back to DoF) but Jack isn't interested in working in that structure. The Barnsley job is all but agreed providing the compensation demands are met. No idea on amounts or whether Barnsley are stalling on that.

0/10.