The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

What is it with you guys? Just like at Palmeston Gav gets hooked, his goals ratio is looking good 21 goals and only 60mins per game.
4-1 down theres no point in running him into the ground as we have bigger fish to fry.

He has played most of our games and he's too important to burn out. Also due to his form our other strikers don't get a sniff so it's good to give them a run where possible.

5 hours ago, ThomWy said:

You guys got well and truly found out today at pittodrie there was absolutely nothing to threaten Aberdeen. 

Totally agree, so given we have owned your mob how bad are you? :P

Honestly though, the difference between top of the Championship and second top of the Premiership is huge. Hibs got the same treatment a few weeks ago but IF we go up, I doubt any Saints fans expect us to compete without significant improvements to the squad. 

It used to be that there wasn’t much between the bottom of the Premiership and the top half of the Championship but the gulf in finances is huge now. 

Unlucky today with your result today.

You are by far the best team in the league this season.

Just shows the difference in class between top of premier and top of championship.

I believe you guys would survive if in top flight this season.

A long way to go, but it at least allows you to concentrate on the league

9 hours ago, ThomWy said:

You guys got well and truly found out today at pittodrie there was absolutely nothing to threaten Aberdeen. 

Apart from the goal and the 4 clear cut opportunities in the first half. 

The result was fair in the end and we chucked trying to chase it back at 4 but cutting out individual stupidity and we'd have had a chance of going in at half time level pegging. 

We were poor yesterday against the 2nd best team in the country who didn't have to be at their best to see us off. It's funny that this is us 'being found out'. 

To be fair, while the Inverness poster is clearly at it, there is a huge element of truth in there.

We, and by that I'm pretty much saying Stellios, absolutely shat the bed. It's a shame but as I mentioned on the cup thread that really that wasn't a zenith for us. While it's true that Aberdeen didn't get out of 2nd gear, it's also true that they didn't need to, however they never beat us, we beat us.

So, with that in mind, I can't see how the result will change anything in the league challenge. Other teams may see a weakness, but the truth of the matter is that we are 8 points clear with over half the season played.

36 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

To be fair, while the Inverness poster is clearly at it, there is a huge element of truth in there.

We, and by that I'm pretty much saying Stellios, absolutely shat the bed. It's a shame but as I mentioned on the cup thread that really that wasn't a zenith for us. While it's true that Aberdeen didn't get out of 2nd gear, it's also true that they didn't need to, however they never beat us, we beat us.

So, with that in mind, I can't see how the result will change anything in the league challenge. Other teams may see a weakness, but the truth of the matter is that we are 8 points clear with over half the season played.

The poster is at the wind up when you consider that no team in the championship has either the resources or the required quality of player to compete against the second best team in the country. That’s the last distraction out of the way for us and we can now fully focus on winning this league. The pundits and the media all expect Dundee Utd to go on and win it so I would use that as an extra motivation . 

How we’ve performed in the cups will have no bearing on our league form.

5 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

The poster is at the wind up when you consider that no team in the championship has either the resources or the required quality of player to compete against the second best team in the country.

Not sure about you, but I have seen enough insipid performances from Aberdeen to know we could have competed against them yesterday. We never got the chance, through our own profligacy. Over the season, no, but in a one off cup game? They were there for the taking.

Apart from the goal and the 4 clear cut opportunities in the first half. 
The result was fair in the end and we chucked trying to chase it back at 4 but cutting out individual stupidity and we'd have had a chance of going in at half time level pegging. 
We were poor yesterday against the 2nd best team in the country who didn't have to be at their best to see us off. It's funny that this is us 'being found out'. 
The amount of diddies we've pumped and that Aberdeen coming out of the woodwork to put down Saints is laughable.

However that's football and we used to do it to other clubs who were in the league below chasing promotion.

16 minutes ago, Buddist Monk said:

Not sure about you, but I have seen enough insipid performances from Aberdeen to know we could have competed against them yesterday. We never got the chance, through our own profligacy. Over the season, no, but in a one off cup game? They were there for the taking.

I get what you are saying but for me it’s not important that we had an off day in a cup tie at Aberdeen. Yes it would have been good to get some extra revenue from a cup run and all that, but for me everything is focused on the league, I genuinely couldn’t care less that we are out of the cup. It would have been different had we been in a mid table slot in the championship with little else to play for, but going for a title is miles ahead of any cup competition for me.

Some right doom and gloom. We won't be the only team that the dons beat by a few goals. Yes defensive mistakes cost us. But grand scheme of things second best team in the country. That defence of ours has been preforming well recently. And if we get a positive reaction on Friday this game will be forgotten about quickly.

8 minutes ago, AW saint said:

Kenny McLean signed for Norwich. £200K and loaned back for rest of the season. We should bank 20k which is less than I had hoped. 

Good deal for Aberdeen.  Our old board were shocking when it came to realise   players but they did save the club. Gilmour had no idea about moving on players. 

He could have left for nothing so £20k is better than hee haw.

We didn't get a great deal when he moved on, but pretty sure when he signed his extension there was a gentleman's agreement that the club wouldn't stand in his way if a bigger club came in.

That looks like a decent move for him as well. Glad he didn't end up at Ibrox.