The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

25 minutes ago, Ranaldo Bairn said:

Perhaps, but he was also playing very well (if not scoring) in the BFC group stages for us. Something happened around the time of that injury in the first league game that really knocked him for six.

I must admit when I seen him in that game he was playing really well prior to the injury, you could quite clearly see he was struggling with the after effects of what happened in the collision. For me he's a cracking player at this level and very much a team player. I wish him nothing but the best.

Not sure what sort of midfielder Mark Hill is but hopefully he is of similar ilk to Mcshane as I think McShane is the only real weak point in our starting 11 and competition for the position can only be good. Mcshane has been really good in some games but also had a few stinkers.

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

Not sure what sort of midfielder Mark Hill is but hopefully he is of similar ilk to Mcshane as I think McShane is the only real weak point in our starting 11 and competition for the position can only be good. Mcshane has been really good in some games but also had a few stinkers.

I'll confess to not knowing that much about his style but he's one of those players that has just been on the cusp of the first team, probably at the development level of a Mikey Johnston or Kundai Benyu, two players who have seen first team action so far but he plays a position that Celtic has more depth at centre midfield.  The scouting report is that he is a ball winning midfielder who has a lot of energy and is good defensively so he may not get you guys a lot of goals but he will be  a good midfield general.  Looking forward to seeing how he does 

1 hour ago, irvine_buddie said:

I don't think McShane is a weak point at all. He has some indifferent games, granted, but he's made a power of assists from memory this year. 

We are primarily playing a 4-2-4 when attacking which means a hell of a lot of work for McGinn and McShane. It would be unrealistic to expect these guys to be perfect in every game considering the work they have to do. Both do a fantastic job but I welcome an extra body in the shape of Hill to help out if necessary.

2 hours ago, senorsoupe said:

I'll confess to not knowing that much about his style but he's one of those players that has just been on the cusp of the first team, probably at the development level of a Mikey Johnston or Kundai Benyu, two players who have seen first team action so far but he plays a position that Celtic has more depth at centre midfield.  The scouting report is that he is a ball winning midfielder who has a lot of energy and is good defensively so he may not get you guys a lot of goals but he will be  a good midfield general.  Looking forward to seeing how he does 

Sounds similar to McShane so seems like he has been brought in as back up and to challenge for his spot.

1 hour ago, flyingscot said:

I don't think McShane is a weak point at all. He has some indifferent games, granted, but he's made a power of assists from memory this year. 

1 hour ago, NorthBank said:

We are primarily playing a 4-2-4 when attacking which means a hell of a lot of work for McGinn and McShane. It would be unrealistic to expect these guys to be perfect in every game considering the work they have to do. Both do a fantastic job but I welcome an extra body in the shape of Hill to help out if necessary.

Weak point is maybe a bit strong but it's the position where we need some backup and there is potential to win a place in the starting 11. McGinn and Morgan are first name on the team sheet, Flynn I'm assuming is backup/challenge for Maggennis.

51 minutes ago, irvine_buddie said:

Sounds similar to McShane so seems like he has been brought in as back up and to challenge for his spot.

Weak point is maybe a bit strong but it's the position where we need some backup and there is potential to win a place in the starting 11. McGinn and Morgan are first name on the team sheet, Flynn I'm assuming is backup/challenge for Maggennis.

You think McShane is a ball winning midfielder...good defensively? McShane is a creative midfielder who is better in the opposition half in my opinion, which is backed up by his 11 assists this season. A ball winning midfielder is what we've been missing at times, so I'd expect Hill to come in at certain points in games, when we need more dig in midfield.

Flynn should provide some more creativity if and when McShane is rested/dropped admittedly, but it would be hasty to change a winning team for the sake of it at the moment. These signings serve to give us a stronger bench, filled with players who believe they should be starting and who will go all out to prove it to the manager, which is what we need.

Agreed - McShane is a good player going forward and has been decent for us this season. However, he is a complete shitebag in a tackle. I can not forget his attempt at challenging for a header at East End Park. Not quite Stephen Mallan but a decent enough set piece taker as well. 

Other than Cammy Smith and maybe Craig Samson most of the players have had the odd stinker.

The constant negativity about McShane astounds me.

2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

Sorry lads forgot we aren't aloud to discuss the possibility of strengthening the starting 11 just because we are top of the league :unsure2:

I've stated several times that players signed should be players who want to play in the first eleven rather than come as backup. Flynn is in that bracket, as is Mullen. Not sure Hill is, but as a loan who will be costing us next to nothing, I'm fine with that. Would be delighted if he secured a first team slot as it would mean he's doing the business.

2 hours ago, irvine_buddie said:

.. we aren't aloud to discuss ..

"allowed"

Anyway, of course we are allowed, I just think, like many, you were overly harsh on McShane.

As for further transfer news, Ross was on the radio last night suggesting "nothing was imminent" and even hinted that if no others came in he'd be happy.

I have on one or two ocassions this season had a wee pop at McShane for being inconsistent and leaving McGinn to do all the digging by himself. On reflection that opinion was very harsh going by his stats since he came in to the team. 

He actually compliments McGinn for the majority of the time. Maybe he can do the attacking mid role until the game is in the bag, and then    make way for Hill to come on and see the game out. All in all he's been a cracking signing.

27 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

I have on one or two ocassions this season had a wee pop at McShane for being inconsistent and leaving McGinn to do all the digging by himself. On reflection that opinion was very harsh going by his stats since he came in to the team. 

He actually compliments McGinn for the majority of the time. Maybe he can do the attacking mid role until the game is in the bag, and then    make way for Hill to come on and see the game out. All in all he's been a cracking signing.

I did txt you at the time and tell you he would be a cracking signing :thumsup2

Edited by McG

16 hours ago, Fony Titz said:

Other than Cammy Smith and maybe Craig Samson most of the players have had the odd stinker.

The constant negativity about McShane astounds me.

Yeah I think that's fair comment on McShane and I myself have probably been a bit harsh on him. He's been very good since he came into the side. I think he's arguably suffering a bit because he's replaced Stephen Mallan and fans are remembering the form Mallan showed in the second half of last season and comparing the two.

2 hours ago, Buddist Monk said:

"allowed"

Anyway, of course we are allowed, I just think, like many, you were overly harsh on McShane.

As for further transfer news, Ross was on the radio last night suggesting "nothing was imminent" and even hinted that if no others came in he'd be happy.

What if I discuss it "aloud" rather than on the internet? :shutup

I think when he first joined it would be fair to say it took him the league cup games to get in to the swing of things.

Teams were getting in behind McGinn and McShane and we were losing a few goals earlier in the season. That is also down to the style of play, also with Davis returning the whole team has looked solid. I can't believe opposition fans were questioning his ability when he signed again. He is a class above, but anyway the only real complaint about McShane was the game at Tannadice when his corners that day were the worst I've seen from a professional but McShane has been a great signing.

That's not to say Hill won't be brought in for games at EEP and Tannadice to make us a bit more defensive, or to see out games with 15 minutes to go ect.