The St. Mirren FC 2023/24 thread

1 hour ago, Black and White Tragic said:

Coventry Saint was always going to be on a winner today. As this is awarded to a city “coming out of the Shadows”, how much longer with they be stuck there in Paisley, with Hank, Cliff and co...

Some of my former colleagues were PRing the Coventry bid. I actually had a three way loyalty split... I'm married to a Mackem and live five minutes north of Sunderland. 

I definitely wanted Paisley to win, though. Ah well. I'll settle for promotion instead.

Edited by Coventry Saint

27 minutes ago, Coventry Saint said:

Some of my former colleagues were PRing the Coventry bid. I actually had a three way loyalty split... I'm married to a Mackem and live five minutes north of Sunderland. 

I definitely wanted Paisley to win, though. Ah well. I'll settle for promotion instead.

You were definately a right b*****d in a previous life!

2 minutes ago, Finch road said:

Not nearly enough to be linked to Coventry, Sunderland and Paisley! At least the Luftwaffe did Coventry a favour and flattened it

It's a shithole because it was flattened. It was a lot like York before it was bombed. 

Also: you are from Greenock, right? Just checking.

13 hours ago, RandomGuy. said:

True, in terms of achievements theres been nothing between the two clubs in the past decade

I understand why any St Johnstone fan would defend their club, as you are at an absolute zenith in terms of your club's history. There is realistically no possible way the club can move forward though. Perhaps the same could be said of St Mirren if we had had such a staggering level of success in relation to the resources available.

imo, anyone taking over after Wright will be managing over a decline though - with the already proffered caveat that people have been predicting the demise of the Perth club for nigh on a decade now.

I understand why any St Johnstone fan would defend their club, as you are at an absolute zenith in terms of your club's history. There is realistically no possible way the club can move forward though. Perhaps the same could be said of St Mirren if we had had such a staggering level of success in relation to the resources available.
imo, anyone taking over after Wright will be managing over a decline though - with the already proffered caveat that people have been predicting the demise of the Perth club for nigh on a decade now.

You sound like a bitter rangers fan.

Super js should be applauded for their recent success, shows what a well run club can achieve on modest resource - something which we should definitely be aspiring to

8 minutes ago, geo87 said:

You sound like a bitter rangers fan.

Super js should be applauded for their recent success, shows what a well run club can achieve on modest resource - something which we should definitely be aspiring to

And you sound like a fucking idiot. I have in no way said a negative about St Johnsone, if anything I have reflected on their staggering level of success.

Tell you what, I'll chalk this down to a pre-coffee morning reply rather than an inability to read.

Edit: Wait? You upvoted that comment? I really don't understand, you slam it then upvote it. Weird.

Edited by Buddist Monk

5 minutes ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Turns out the soapdogers have been avoiding paying the minimum wage, times are tough in Greenock. Not every town in Scotland can reach the heights of City Of Culture finalists, Paisley.

13 hours ago, sergie's no1 fan said:

Oh great another open top bus parade in Greenock.

Got to celebrate the little things in life.

Two failed comebacks to go with your failed city status and failed culture bid.

_90011794_tonyf.jpg.2b756211ad0f1ce259f207069ac5d7fb.jpg

Div on the P&B FB suggesting Morgan has signed for Celtic. Anyone any clue how much? Seems like a waste if it's not breaching £500k (after clauses and all that)

5 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Div on the P&B FB suggesting Morgan has signed for Celtic. Anyone any clue how much? Seems like a waste if it's not breaching £500k (after clauses and all that)

He's out of contract in the summer and he's only been with us since he was 16. Think if he was to leave on a free, a category 1 club would still have to pay a significant enough development fee but nothing near his true value. I'd imagine, it's probably about £300k-£400k and we'll have him back for the remainder of the season.

He's out of contract in the summer and he's only been with us since he was 16. Think if he was to leave on a free, a category 1 club would still have to pay a significant enough development fee but nothing near his true value. I'd imagine, it's probably about £300k-£400k and we'll have him back for the remainder of the season.

Imagine

See Stephane Bahoken is ripping up Ligue 1. Scored a historic winner for Strasbourg against PSG last Saturday and again tonight away to Bordeaux. 

This is a guy who without irony, is mentioned in some circles as amongst the worst players to show up at the club in the last 2 decades. He played 5 games, missed about 4 sitters, went home in a huff, got sent back over by his dad and spent the rest of his time saying he's going to get fitter. 

Now, he's banging in winners against the most expensive squad ever assembled and probably playing his way into World Cup reckoning for Cameroon, who his dad played for in Spain 82.

Mental days. 

1 minute ago, djchapsticks said:

See Stephane Bahoken is ripping up Ligue 1. Scored a historic winner for Strasbourg against PSG last Saturday and again tonight away to Bordeaux. 

This is a guy who without irony, is mentioned in some circles as amongst the worst players to show up at the club in the last 2 decades. He played 5 games, missed about 4 sitters, went home in a huff, got sent back over by his dad and spent the rest of his time saying he's going to get fitter. 

Now, he's banging in winners against the most expensive squad ever assembled and probably playing his way into World Cup reckoning for Cameroon, who his dad played for in Spain 82.

Mental days. 

Love things like this. Mahrez and Bahoken, struggle to think of many other Scottish clubs who'll have that calibre of "reject".

2 minutes ago, djchapsticks said:

£10m Aaron Mooy as well. 

Jesus :lol: A few of our fans still berate the club for releasing Marcus Maddison, who is now pretty highly rated down South, God knows how they'd react if we'd had those three 

10 minutes ago, Mordecai said:

Was Bahoken not the 'one we were waiting for' according to Danny Lennon?

He was. Believe he made his debut against Partick Thistle where he missed a one on one with the keeper. If memory serves, he also had a very decent half chance presented towards the end of the half where he tripped over the ball. He was hooked at half time. 

Edited: I thought he rounded the keeper and tripped. He didn't as it surely word have made the highlights. 

Edited by djchapsticks