The Keepers

Co.Down Hibee

Good documentary on Netflix in the same vein as Making a Murderer, looks at the unsolved case of Sister Cathy , a nun murdered  in  60s Baltimore ,2 former pupils at the school she taught in have investigated the case 40 years on and have unearthed a shocking story of child abuse, cover up and police ineptitude .

Some characters will make you laugh , some are beyond despicable but it is a great watch with some jaw dropping moments.

I am halfway through the second episode, the descriptions of the abuse are literally sickening.  

I watched the first episode late last night then first half hour of the second. Found it a tad slow but we do have 7 hours to get the story told. Will watch more later.

Doing this on my phone and can't seem to find the spoiler tag so: SPOILER WARNING.

Rattled through this over the holiday weekend and finished it feeling a bit unsatisfied to be honest.

I found it to have the strange dichotomy of being very drawn out and repetitive yet only covering certain things briefly; like the old fella who called the talk show with evidence - did they ever conclude anything with him or did they just leave him to fester away with his collection of teddies? Or the DNA on the cigarette that the Police admitted to having in evidence?

And the rather scattergun approach they adopted when attempting to shine a light on certain suspects was just a bit mind boggling at times. The fella Gerry was painted as being in love with Cathy; then they decided to suggest he was lying; before relenting and painting him as a good guy again. 

The overall feeling I got at the end was that they had no greater idea who murdered her after 7 hours than they did at the start, other than it was probably ordered by the priest - which we really got to the bottom of in the first episode.

I suppose that story eventually played second fiddle to the abuse which was as disturbing as the blatant rank closing by the church and the police.

However my overall advice would be to just watch Spotlight and do something else for the remaining 5 hours.

I've only watched four episodes so far. I think it's unquestionable that there were some horrific things going on and the priest is guilty of some horrific abuse.

SPOILER WARNING

But I just don't believe the story of the girl being taken to the nuns body. I have no idea why but it didn't sit right with me. It just seemed too unbelievable. Also, in the first episode it seemed like the two murders were connected. Which made sense. But there's been no more mention of the second girl or any indication of why this 'brother bob' character murdered her too. At least not yet anyway.

I also didn't find the retired policeman's comments to be that shocking. I know they were angling that he was meant to be covering for Maskell as they were friends, but tbh I found his comments to be reasonable, while the old women talking to him was just acting like a shite Columbo.

I'm usually a sucker for being sucked in by conspiracy theories. But the whole murder angle isn't doing it for me. All the stuff at the cemetery, digging up the documents etc was shocking and I believe that to be conclusive proof of the sexual abuse and a probable police cover up. But as I say, I think the murder is a step too far unless there's some major revelations in the next few episodes.

I don't think this is anywhere near as good as making a murderer. But it's still decent and I'm interested to see how it turns out but I'm not expecting a satisfying ending.

It's actually starting to annoy me now. Dragging on....all over the place....going round in circles. Some of the interviews with the jane doe woman sound like one take but are obviously some time apart as she looks completely different from start to finish.

Archived