Manchester Arena - Terrorist Incident

1 minute ago, Glenconner said:

Maybe i'm just imagining it but hasn't organised religion in Scotland died on its arse and maybe that's why many of us are having problems figuring out the idea of a religious suicide bomber.

I guess in general your Average Joe might not be particularly religious but do people not still swear on a bible in British court? Are marriages not still done in churches?

Religion is still firmly part of British culture and a very powerful variable in terms of mainstream culture.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, BradHorse said:

I guess in general your Average Joe might not be particularly religious but do people not still swear on a bible in British court? Are marriages not still done in churches?

Religion is still firmly part of British culture and a very powerful variable in terms of mainstream culture.

You can opt out the bible gig in court. Sure figures for church marriages are way way down from two generations back. Ricky Fulton, Rev I M Jolly, got Late Call laughed off the telly years ago.

I go with the UK being a post Christian society.

1 minute ago, Glenconner said:

You can opt out the bible gig in court. Sure figures for church marriages are way way down from two generations back. Ricky Fulton, Rev I M Jolly, got Late Call laughed off the telly years ago.

I go with the UK being a post Christian society.

Well I'm no expert on the subject man and I'll take your word for it. 

I disagree with the UK being a post-Christain society though. Imagine a journalist asking the Prime Minister (not just May, any PM in 2017 hypothetically) whether they believed in God or not. I've gotta say I think they'd feel compelled to say yes.

Strangest story i heard from Saudi was on the death of a mate. His brother went out to sort the funeral etc with the British Embassy etc. He asked for a RC priest and all very hush hush a chap in a boiler suit turned up at the hotel. All a bit strange till it was pointed out the danger of both of them ending up in jail.

4 minutes ago, BradHorse said:

Well I'm no expert on the subject man and I'll take your word for it. 

I disagree with the UK being a post-Christain society though. Imagine a journalist asking the Prime Minister (not just May, any PM in 2017 hypothetically) whether they believed in God or not. I've gotta say I think they'd feel compelled to say yes.

And if they asked Corbyn?

Its probably significant the decline of religion in the west as there is more than enough common sense, knowledge and freedom to know better. If you look at the countries where religion has a grip (regardless of flavour), poverty and lack of education is rife and it's as much hard to comprehend how some people don't know there has been a man on the moon (as an example) as it's to comprehend them following a sky fairy. You would be astounded how much juju is still in the world today.

Education is a key player here.

9 minutes ago, Glenconner said:

And if they asked Corbyn?

The man who is 10/1 to get elected?

Like I said man, I am really no expert on the subject. I just think religion punches WELL above its weight in terms of influence on culture all around the world.

9 hours ago, oneteaminglasgow said:

Assuming that an act of terrorism must have been a Muslim before any actual facts are known is racist.

Wat.

Islam isn't a race.

4 hours ago, Tight John McVeigh is a tit said:

Allegedly this guy regularly attended his local mosque and after one imam preached against ISIS, this individual and others signed a petition against the said imam for his preaching. IF true that carries a lot of significance in this case.

I think your away in the wrong direction and my wording may play part in that.

Its not the radical hiding up the back with the AK-47. As many attackers have connection to mosques as have not and that is irrelevant. The one common denominator is that they are all killing in the name of Islam. They are also radicalised 'in the name of Islam'. That is unlikely to happen of its own accord. Imams and clerics play a massive role in this.

Most muslims are abhorred by all this but their is too much apathy. They have to be visible and vocal in their condemnation and they have to treat these people as the enemy they are and as many Fatwas condemn them.

What particular insight on 'doing nothing do you want?'

The Fatwas have to be built on, imams have to be much more vocal and governments (where applicable), have to take more action to stamp out terror activity in their country, preferably without the support of the west.

I don't remember the white Christian community being asked to do more and be vocal in their condemnation of IRA terrorists in the 1990s.

2 hours ago, D.A.F.C said:

Would it be a start to stop supporting Saudi and Israel? Two major contributors to terrorism and hypocrisy right there. I think we are too far gone to avoid more attacks now though. The mps appear on countless panels on tv and radio and yet they are never questioned about the hypocrisy and double standards or that a million marched against the Iraq war and they ignored it all just to suck up to America to continue bullying the rest of the world for resources and power. Spain got it right stay the f**k away from the middle east.

Another terrorist attack, and another claim of responsibility specifically highlighting western meddling in their countries as their motivation, which like every one before it will be portrayed as an attack on our values and democracy because they hate us for our way of life.

You only have to look at Trump's recent visit to Saudi Arabia to see how serious 'the West' is about fighting terrorism. It's on public record that the US government knows the Saudis provide funding and logistical support to IS. You'd think this should lead to international condemnation, crippling financial sanctions and/or threats of force. Instead they strike a record-breaking arms deal which guarantees nothing but more conflict in the region for the foreseeable future.

A couple of people I was speaking to yesterday thought the best 'solution' to these attacks is to basically carpet bomb the Middle East a bit more. This, self-evidently, is obviously a moronic suggestion, but will probably happen anyway as our leaders make moronic decisions all the time. The military aspect of IS which actually holds territory is weakening by the day and will soon be wiped out, but it will be much more difficult to eradicate the allure and influence of its ideological propaganda. If we were serious about fighting this then we could start by not actually being their most effective propagandists, in legitimising their 'media outlets' and giving them wall-to-wall coverage. If the media put as much effort into whitewashing ISIS as they put into what is actually happening in Syria for example, most people would barely know what ISIS is.

By a million miles the biggest victims of Islamic extremism are Muslims. The people on the front line of the fight against IS are Muslim.

I would guess 99% of people on here have not one idea what gets said or goes on in a mosque so it is utter dog whistle horse shit to attempt to put any blame or responsibility on law abiding Muslims.

36 minutes ago, sparky88 said:

I don't remember the white Christian community being asked to do more and be vocal in their condemnation of IRA terrorists in the 1990s.

The IRA campaign was territorial rather than in the name of religion though. 

9 hours ago, Carl Cort's Hamstring said:

It's surprising that attacking soft targets hasn't been more common to be honest. I've always thought that it was strange that the terrorists go for places like airports, which are incredibly secure, when lower league football matches in England can have 10k-20k people in a confined space, and often with pretty light security. I've never been searched going into the home end of any ground outside of the EPL, even when I've had a bag.

Apparently the reason why is they keep attacking airports etc is to let us know that no matter how hard we try and no matter what precautions we put in place, they'll always find a way through. The pay-off for them is probably bigger too as plane crashes are "bigger" and more "spectacular" often involving multiple nationalities, with a guaranteed big casualty count given the nature of it.  A football match, I agree, would be an obvious soft target...lets just pray we never see such things. Bunch of animals. 

16 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

By a million miles the biggest victims of Islamic extremism are Muslims. The people on the front line of the fight against IS are Muslim.

I would guess 99% of people on here have not one idea what gets said or goes on in a mosque so it is utter dog whistle horse shit to attempt to put any blame or responsibility on law abiding Muslims.

This. It would be interesting to see what "da muzzies shld do more!!!11" crowd would suggest. 

25 minutes ago, invergowrie arab said:

I was talking to a (pretty Westernised-leaning) Muslim guy I know, and he was saying every time something like this happens his first reaction is "Aw f**k, here we go again - looks like I'll be getting a seat to myself on the train again for a while"

He was saying the problem with radicalisation is at most mosques the imam is a boring old guy who mumbles through a half-remembered version of the village version of Islam he learned half a century ago. Now and again a couple of young guys - and it's fairly obvious what they're up to - will show up seemingly with all the answers, and with a snappier, frankly sexier take on the religion...they've chased them from where he goes when they've shown up so far, but he was saying he could see how what they're peddling could be attractive to some of the dimmer, more impressionable young punters.

2 minutes ago, Hillonearth said:

I was talking to a (pretty Westernised-leaning) Muslim guy I know, and he was saying every time something like this happens his first reaction is "Aw f**k, here we go again - looks like I'll be getting a seat to myself on the train again for a while"

He was saying the problem with radicalisation is at most mosques the imam is a boring old guy who mumbles through a half-remembered version of the village version of Islam he learned half a century ago. Now and again a couple of young guys - and it's fairly obvious what they're up to - will show up seemingly with all the answers, and with a snappier, frankly sexier take on the religion...they've chased them from where he goes when they've shown up so far, but he was saying he could see how what they're peddling could be attractive to some of the dimmer, more impressionable young punters.

So it's not all bad for muslims after a terror attack then?

Well Tommy Robinson is all for sending them all to the Falkland Islands.

Get em to fight the Argies. Two problems solved.

He genuinely is one of the thickest c***s I've ever had the misfortune to read about. The amount of (mainly ***) fans he has, are phenomenally stupid.

"he says what we're all thinking" No he doesn't you bigoted little c**t.

Archived