Manchester Arena - Terrorist Incident

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
18 minutes ago, welshbairn said:

Not unless it escalates. They wouldn't postpone one for a coach party of school kids going off a cliff because of a drunk driver, I don't see this as much different, apart from having targets for revenge.

Not much different?  It's a terrorist act . It's completely different. It's completely at the other end of the spectrum to an incident caused by a drunk driver!

2 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

Anyone know much about the change jn threat level? Do they need to have intel of an actual plot (obviously without the major details) or just a connection between the Manchester bomber and other nutters? 

This one's the highest possible level, which is only ever applied for short periods of time where there's enough intelligence - though it might not be location-specific - that something's highly likely to be imminent.

Bluntly, it doesn't look like it's over yet.

Anyone know much about the change jn threat level? Do they need to have intel of an actual plot (obviously without the major details) or just a connection between the Manchester bomber and other nutters? 

My understanding is they can't rule out if this knob was working alone. Until they can confirm that the cell is destroyed; then they raise. Doesn't necessarily mean that another attack will happen

11 minutes ago, TheGoon said:

No idea to be honest but if they have only raised the alert level to this level 3 times in history then i would assume they feel they have a justified reasoning. 

Could be that they suspect the terrorist wasn't the bomb-maker, so there is one at large, or that they found more devices/equipment at the flats which were raided etc.

On the two other occasions it's been raised, it's been decreased just a few days later. Hopefully this is the same.

1 minute ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

No idea to be honest but if they have only raised the alert level to this level 3 times in history then i would assume they feel they have a justified reasoning. 

That's what I was thinking. I think it was raised after the Glasgow attack because of the London car bomb link the day previously.

First and foremost, an utterly fucking horrific attack and I can't even begin to imagine what some families must be feeling today. Not for any of that indulgent "it could've been me" crap, but it does resonate even more when it's people leaving a gig like that.
I really would like to know what the 'solution' is that Tommy Robinson, Katie Hopkins etc. have to end these atrocities. I see people on Twitter giving it the whole "they're saying what we're all thinking" speech. I'm not thinking what they're saying, but pretend we all were. What the f**k can you do to stop attacks like this? Huge state surveillance can only go so far, one or two people are almost certainly going to slip through the cracks.
This isn't like the IRA conflict (and I'm not condoning their bombings for a second by the way), these Islamic extremists have no realistic end game. The IRA wanted British soldiers out of Northern Ireland and a united Ireland, not all that likely but still an outside chance of it happening. How can you negotiate towards peace with these people, and how can you actually stop them from existing? There's no country to invade, there's no Berlin bunker to trap them in. There's a Stewart Lee routine that essentially makes this point.

Fantastic.

Sick fed up of everyone latching on to the pish people like they 2 are coming away with, very well said.

13 minutes ago, Richie said:

Could be that they suspect the terrorist wasn't the bomb-maker, so there is one at large, or that they found more devices/equipment at the flats which were raided etc.

This is why it was incredibly irresponsible of the Americans to release information before the UK allowed it. Anyone connected, if there is anyone, will be trying to disappear or planning another attack. Sounds like they were leaking to CBS as soon as they received it. It wouldn't surprise me if someone on Trump's staff has a friendly contact with CBS.

14 hours ago, jupe1407 said:

Is there no limit to the kind of shit you're willing to do on this site to get yourself some attention? You really are the lowest of the low.

Oh and referring to yourself as a victim on this of all threads is absolutely fucking pathetic, even for you. 

Get back under your rock you utter, utter c**t. 

Faux outrage at me like all the others jumping on your bandwagon.

The definition of low is you  using the murder of children and other innocents to continue personal vendettas.

I do pity you but I'll not waste my emotion on you when there are families truly suffering .

.My heart goes out to them.

11 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Not really sure why "they" tell "us" that. It's as if they're trying to shite us up even more than is necessary. Pretty sure most folk in big crowds over the next couple of weeks will be pretty edgy anyway.

What nonsense.

Why would the government intentionally try to 'shite' people up? If they think that an attack is imminent then of course they're going to warn people.

3 minutes ago, McSpreader said:

Faux outrage at me like all the others jumping on your bandwagon.

The definition of low is you  using the murder of children and other innocents to continue personal vendettas.

I do pity you but I'll not waste my emotion on you when there are families truly suffering .

.My heart goes out to them.

Please refrain from the dramatics. No one gives a shit about you. 

Run along now. 

22 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

Not really sure why "they" tell "us" that. It's as if they're trying to shite us up even more than is necessary. Pretty sure most folk in big crowds over the next couple of weeks will be pretty edgy anyway.

Best move is to be a real fan and stay to the end it seems.

30 minutes ago, EdgarusQPFC said:

But the records only go back to 1975 when the Hall of Records mysteriously blew up...

5 minutes ago, Melanius Mullarkey said:

I'm not suggesting there is any tinfoil hat nonsense taking place. I just don't get what difference it makes them telling us this. Will it make any difference to you tomorrow if we are at critical or otherwise?

Well, not to me personally but if I was going to a gig/football match/etc tomorrow then I'd like to know if the government thought that an attack was literally "imminent", yes. 

Archived