Forfar Athletic 2017-18

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Very strong words from the manager after yesterday's game, about time too.

Hopefully he sticks with the U/20's who are prepared to give the club 100% and then we can get 3 or 4 guys in during the window'

The sooner we can get shot of the Bollan duds the better!!

Plastic V Grass.

With Lister and Mensing away that will free up two places on the treatment table.

Jim Weir stated in the Dec.9th. programme that Forfar were going into the Alloa game without 9 recognised first team players from a pool of around 26.

We know Kennedy has a long term injury but we have no information about the nature of the injuries of the rest or how soon we might expect any of them back.

I have never known a period with so many players out at the same time. Is it just bad luck,MALONE excepted, or is it due to playing every 2nd week on a synthetic surface?

In the past, when we played on grass, you could expect 2 or 3 home games to be off during the winter, along with a couple of away games,  giving the players time for niggles or more serious injuries to heal. How we could have done with the Stranraer game being off on Saturday.

There it is then, bad luck or the curse of the plastic pitch?

10 minutes ago, victormeldrew said:

Plastic V Grass.

With Lister and Mensing away that will free up two places on the treatment table.

Jim Weir stated in the Dec.9th. programme that Forfar were going into the Alloa game without 9 recognised first team players from a pool of around 26.

We know Kennedy has a long term injury but we have no information about the nature of the injuries of the rest or how soon we might expect any of them back.

I have never known a period with so many players out at the same time. Is it just bad luck,MALONE excepted, or is it due to playing every 2nd week on a synthetic surface?

In the past, when we played on grass, you could expect 2 or 3 home games to be off during the winter, along with a couple of away games,  giving the players time for niggles or more serious injuries to heal. How we could have done with the Stranraer game being off on Saturday.

Interesting idea on having the pitch available more adds to the injury list, as mentioned it probably means less time between games to recover, there is also some that reckon the plastic pitches lead to more injuries in the first place. The surface is much more common in the lower leagues now which should mean less call offs during the winter. Our training is done at Station Park & I believe one of our players does his running on grass & is only used on plastic pitches if really needed as it aggravates his back. They make sense for revenue etc & are much better than they used to be but think they will continue to divide opinion of players & supporters alike.

3 hours ago, victormeldrew said:

Plastic V Grass.

We've been on plastic for how many years now?  6?

Not many long term injuries in those years, also the point about expected call-offs when on grass doesn't make sense either as most of the injuries picked up this season were around October/early November.  Raith have also been ravaged by injuries this season and they're on grass and IIRC Arbroath were down to bare bones when they turned us over 0-5, that was October I think.  Just one of those things I'm afraid.

2 hours ago, peternapper said:

Interesting idea on having the pitch available more adds to the injury list, as mentioned it probably means less time between games to recover, there is also some that reckon the plastic pitches lead to more injuries in the first place. The surface is much more common in the lower leagues now which should mean less call offs during the winter. Our training is done at Station Park & I believe one of our players does his running on grass & is only used on plastic pitches if really needed as it aggravates his back. They make sense for revenue etc & are much better than they used to be but think they will continue to divide opinion of players & supporters alike.

Back in my day, playing on grass was absolute hell on my lower back,  the old scouring pad "astro" at McDairmid had no effect.  Not disputing your comment, just pointing out that one mans meat etc.

20 hours ago, mo83 said:

Jim weir today saying a couple of forfar players are" offering us nothing"... no holding back with jim speaks his mind at least.

For anyone who hasn't seen Jim's full post-match comments versus Stranraer, they can be found here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/19/there-are-certainly-a-group-in-there-who-arent-the-future-of-the-football-club-forfar-gaffer-jim-weir/

Out of curiosity, how have Conner Duthie and Scott Lochhead done at Station Park so far? Where have you guys been playing them about? 

I noticed they were two of the ten who were out on Saturday; are they both injured?

All the Best for the rest of the season! 

55 minutes ago, dafcburty said:

For anyone who hasn't seen Jim's full post-match comments versus Stranraer, they can be found here:

https://jordanburtfootball.com/2017/12/19/there-are-certainly-a-group-in-there-who-arent-the-future-of-the-football-club-forfar-gaffer-jim-weir/

Out of curiosity, how have Conner Duthie and Scott Lochhead done at Station Park so far? Where have you guys been playing them about? 

I noticed they were two of the ten who were out on Saturday; are they both injured?

All the Best for the rest of the season! 

It would be unfair to judge either so far, both have shown moments but I suspect they are not really what we need at the moment and we are not really what they need. If we could get a more settled team line up and something approaching a striker then we might see more from them.

22 minutes ago, nofixedability said:

It would be unfair to judge either so far, both have shown moments but I suspect they are not really what we need at the moment and we are not really what they need. If we could get a more settled team line up and something approaching a striker then we might see more from them.

Interesting where you guys are playing Duthie especially as he's been used more as a LB than a LM under Allan Johnston. He was a striker initially when he joined us from Hibs, also. 

1 hour ago, Loonytoons said:
1 hour ago, dafcburty said:
Interesting where you guys are playing Duthie especially as he's been used more as a LB than a LM under Allan Johnston. He was a striker initially when he joined us from Hibs, also. 

We need a left back and striker!

He was quickly converted to LM when he came to the Pars; then last year he got moved to full-back while in the U20s. He played mainly at LB but also played RB for our first-team last year. His only appearance this season came at LB but he was sent-off. A very versatile player and it has been interesting to see how Forfar are deploying him, as well as Lochhead. 

1 hour ago, dafcburty said:

He was quickly converted to LM when he came to the Pars; then last year he got moved to full-back while in the U20s. He played mainly at LB but also played RB for our first-team last year. His only appearance this season came at LB but he was sent-off. A very versatile player and it has been interesting to see how Forfar are deploying him, as well as Lochhead. 

Duthie came into the team against Raith Rovers - he replaced McBride at left mid, while Kennedy came in on the same game and replaced Quigley at LB.  Good performance from Duthie in that game, had an early chance and a good overall team performance getting us a draw.  He then played in the away win over Albion Rovers.  He was substituted in both games.  Lochhead then came in for him in the starting line up for the win against East Fife and the defeat to Formartine.  Kennedy picked up his injury but it was Quigley who came in at left back in the last 4 games.  Duthie has appeared as a midfield sub a couple of times since then.  He looks ok out wide but not really influencing the game much.  From the very few times I've watched them, Lochhead looks the better prospect. (but he's still to shine too)

Just had a chance to listen again to the Jim Weir post match interview. He sounds like a guy who thought he was buying a Rolls Royce off e.bay and ended up with a Hillman Imp.

I'm not sure telling the players that "Some of them are getting a game because we have nobody else" is the best way to motivate the squad.

Let's hope that come January there is some money left in the kitty for Jim to bring some players in and move on the players he feels are not contributing , otherwise his words might come back to haunt him.

6 hours ago, Lichtie78 said:

Jim Weir coming out and slating his players to bits absolutely reeks of Terry Butcher at Hibs, which ended really well.

Apples and pears though.

Full time club with players on 2 or 3 year contracts versus part time players with almost all players with just over 6 months of their contract to run.  First scenario, players have the power, second scenario, it's the manager, especially one who has inherited the team that wasn't performing in the first place.

Archived