Forfar Athletic 2017-18

• Replies 2.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
On 5/23/2017 at 19:30, victormeldrew said:

1) He has no interest in the development squad.

Well that doesn't bode well as our Chairman has been very insistent that whoever takes over MUST work with our development squad to bring youth players through and that we'll be relying heavily on youth players next season.

From Bollan's perspective, this would be some opportunity. Not quite sure why Raith would go for him though. 

Who would you guys want to take over if he goes? 

Are the youth guys (Sellars and Gray) well enough thought of to make the step up? Just missed the boat for SP and Foxy.

Not many other names are jumping out at me. 

2 minutes ago, Loondave1 said:

Dick is going to Raith on one thread GB going on another and Darren Dods disnae get a mention how does that work then ?

Wouldn't want to take the step down probably.

4 hours ago, Wet Wullie said:

From Bollan's perspective, this would be some opportunity. Not quite sure why Raith would go for him though. 

Who would you guys want to take over if he goes? 

Are the youth guys (Sellars and Gray) well enough thought of to make the step up? Just missed the boat for SP and Foxy.

Not many other names are jumping out at me. 

Danny Lennon, Darren Young, Jimmy Calderwood, Archie Knox...

10 minutes ago, dee_62 said:

Big Sam jumped ship at Palace as soon as GB was linked with Rovers. #JustSaying

As long as he can bring a smile back to the fans then (and stop season ticket holders from staying away from home games) that would be a good start .

Just out of curiosity whats Bollan done that you guys don't like. I am in the miniority of Airdrie fans that would have given him another season so would like your views on him. 

Just from the outside looking in he got you guys back up albeit the hard way when the title looked in Forfar's possession. The youngsters being played is always something I have found hard to slate a manager for. He plays them and they ain't good enough then he gets the bullet. Its a cut throat business and for a manager surely his priority must be results to keep him in a job. 

Just out of curiosity whats Bollan done that you guys don't like. I am in the miniority of Airdrie fans that would have given him another season so would like your views on him.  Just from the outside looking in he got you guys back up albeit the hard way when the title looked in Forfar's possession. The youngsters being played is always something I have found hard to slate a manager for. He plays them and they ain't good enough then he gets the bullet. Its a cut throat business and for a manager surely his priority must be results to keep him in a job. 

You may get a mixed response with that question. For me, the football we've played at times this season has been great. We really tried to batter teams up until New Year. Good to watch, even with the odd wobble in our early unbeaten run. Looked like the players had a great bond. Particularly with the consecutive last minute 4-3 wins v Cowdenbeath and Clyde. But come January, for whatever reason, he decided to change the team's approach. Any wins after that were more scrambled affairs and the 11 point lead fizzled away. It was only the Elgin demise and some poor Arbroath results that kept us on top for so long.

He played players out of position to get his "strongest" 11 out. It wasn't working but he persisted. He allegedly fell out with a senior player or two and only once we got to the playoffs did we look like a team that could attack again. He doesn't engage well with the fans, which is always a worry. If there was a bit of banter, the fans are generally more forgiving.

Initially playing a few of our youngsters, that pretty much stopped at the Jan transfer window too.

I'm still undecided as to whether him going would be a good or bad thing. But having to wait on Rovers to decide is not really on. We should be looking to sign some of our current squad back up but can't do that till a decision is made by our manager and one of our competitors in the league. Think the board should be pushing for a quick answer.

1 hour ago, dee_62 said:

You may get a mixed response with that question. For me, the football we've played at times this season has been great. We really tried to batter teams up until New Year. Good to watch, even with the odd wobble in our early unbeaten run. Looked like the players had a great bond. Particularly with the consecutive last minute 4-3 wins v Cowdenbeath and Clyde. But come January, for whatever reason, he decided to change the team's approach. Any wins after that were more scrambled affairs and the 11 point lead fizzled away. It was only the Elgin demise and some poor Arbroath results that kept us on top for so long.

He played players out of position to get his "strongest" 11 out. It wasn't working but he persisted. He allegedly fell out with a senior player or two and only once we got to the playoffs did we look like a team that could attack again. He doesn't engage well with the fans, which is always a worry. If there was a bit of banter, the fans are generally more forgiving.

Initially playing a few of our youngsters, that pretty much stopped at the Jan transfer window too.

I'm still undecided as to whether him going would be a good or bad thing. But having to wait on Rovers to decide is not really on. We should be looking to sign some of our current squad back up but can't do that till a decision is made by our manager and one of our competitors in the league. Think the board should be pushing for a quick answer.

This pretty much sums up my feelings and views on GB. The only point I'd pick up on is the comment about engaging with the fans. Sure, he's a more serious character than say Dick  but is actually more approachable than you think. I had a long and pleasant chat with him at the strip launch last summer and a couple of more brief chats at the community coaching. He also introduced the mascots getting in the dressing room to meet the players.

If he goes to Raith Rovers I'll wish him well as it's a step up but will be more disappointed at the timing rather than his actual leaving. A bad time given that squad building is already two weeks behind most other clubs in League 1 then further delayed by a couple of weeks to appoint his replacement.

I gave Gary a chance when he came and would be happy if he stays. I didn't altogether disagree with Dick's sacking but did wholeheartedly disagree with the way it was done. GB wouldn't have been my choice but we played better under him to begin with so that was a start even if results took time to materialise. The first half of the season we were immense until he decided we should defend our lead rather than kick on. It all came back in the playoffs though.

2 hours ago, diamond_for_life said:

Just out of curiosity whats Bollan done that you guys don't like. I am in the miniority of Airdrie fans that would have given him another season so would like your views on him. 

Just from the outside looking in he got you guys back up albeit the hard way when the title looked in Forfar's possession. The youngsters being played is always something I have found hard to slate a manager for. He plays them and they ain't good enough then he gets the bullet. Its a cut throat business and for a manager surely his priority must be results to keep him in a job. 

Most fans knew what we were getting, most still don't like it, i have felt that something has been amiss since he arrived.

The players walking out after he signed wasn't the greatest of starts and it went from bad to worse after that.

He brought in his own players this season (sadly at the expense of the U/20's) some have been terrific others worse  than the guys he got rid off (Sanny-Yano-Hay)

Did well to get us into a wonderful position to win the league, then as has been said before changed the mentality of the team and suffered badly.

Personally i feel we need someone who can connect with everyone at the club, sadly he does not fit that bill with me.

22 hours ago, Port Talbot Loons said:

GB off to Raith hopefully and let's get Stewart Petrie and bring him back to where he belongs!

We had Stewart Petrie signed as assistant Manager but our BOD in their wisdom punted him due to lack of experience! Given the appalling way he was treated I would think Station Park is very low on his list.

I wish him success at Montrose building his own team and showing our Board just what a mistake they made.

Archived