Season 2016/17, success or fail?

On face of it Thistle achieved their target of Top 6.
Got to the quarter finals of the cup for the first time in ages too.
We had an awful start to the season in terms of results and we're sitting bottom just before Christmas.
Up until the last five games we had a decent defensive record and along with Doolans 2017 goals we deserved our top 6 place.
We still struggle against the top teams and even St Johnstone this season though.
We also have the embarrassing situation of not taking any points from a hapless Rangers team and the two late defeats at Firhill to cope with.
Looking at the points won there is certainly lots of room for improvement but I'm happy overall despite no stand out performances. I think we only scored three goals or more on one occasion this season but that was balanced with the improvement at the back.
A few stand out performers for me in Cerny, Doolan, Lindsay and the January addition of Niall Keown.
I would give us a B- overall.
Good work but could do better.

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, R.Mutt said:

This was just my opinion.

I was hoping to at least reach the play off in Europe so the campaign was a failure in my eyes. We had an awful away journey to Luxembourg abd didn't play to our full potential at Pittodrie against Maribor. Mistakes we'll have learned from. I have confidence we'll reach play off spot and it would be massive to get to the group stages.

League Cup was an absolute failure - Celtic slapped us and we had no answer. We better have the answers on Saturday.

We have had a good season. It will be a great season if we can beat Celtic.

fair enough with your opinion but I don't agree with it

Before the start of this season with the new Europa League only 4 teams have qualified from the 1st round so that shows how incredible tough to qualify although we should always aim for it. I think 3rd round is where we should get knocked out going with wages but we didn't get the breaks/take the chances along with a dreadful ref against Maribor. 

Last season was an absolute failure in the cups but getting to two finals is not a failure imho - you are looking at one game which we failed to turn up and hopefully they will put that right on Saturday but if not it should still be classed as a fantastic season

5 minutes ago, Milners said:

fair enough with your opinion but I don't agree with it

Before the start of this season with the new Europa League only 4 teams have qualified from the 1st round so that shows how incredible tough to qualify although we should always aim for it. I think 3rd round is where we should get knocked out going with wages but we didn't get the breaks/take the chances along with a dreadful ref against Maribor. 

Last season was an absolute failure in the cups but getting to two finals is not a failure imho - you are looking at one game which we failed to turn up and hopefully they will put that right on Saturday but if not it should still be classed as a fantastic season

Ok I can see your point on Europe - and it's great to reach the finals but not a success unless we actually win the cup.

Not taking away a fantastic season in the league...

Hoping for us to be the Scottish Cup invincibles by full time on Saturday.

Aberdeen - successful

Celtic - successful

Dundee - successful

Hamilton- successful

Hearts - failure

Inverness - failure

Kilmarnock - successful

Motherwell - failure

Partick Thistle - successful

Rangers - failure

Ross County - successful

St. Johnstone - successful

1 hour ago, MikeyWellFan said:

Aberdeen - successful

Celtic - successful

Dundee - successful

Hamilton- successful

Hearts - failure

Inverness - failure

Kilmarnock - successful

Motherwell - failure

Partick Thistle - successful

Rangers - failure

Ross County - successful

St. Johnstone - successful

In what universe were Dundee successful? We've been utterly fucking shite. 

Premiership - :lol:
League Cup - Emptied out by Alloa after a reasonable performance in the group stages
Scottish Cup - Bodied by Celtic which is no real disgrace but reducing ourselves to hatchet men to compete with them was disappointing

All in all, hard to think of anything positive from this season really.

On 2017-5-21 at 09:20, Bri RCFC said:

Winning the development league and finishing strongly in 7th can't be seen as a failure, aiming for top 6 but just missing out, don't really think that's a failure either given the competitiveness of the league this season. Id take a 7th place finish for next season right now, especially if Accies loose the play off!

^^^^That just about sums it up for County imo.

We were aiming for top 6 but tbf our midfield was too unsettled to achieve it, plus I thought PT were well deserving of their top 6 spot.

Liam has been amazing this season he contributes so much more than just goals to the team. Craig Curren was a huge miss for us with his injury problems at the start of the year but he's back to his best as far as I could tell these last few weeks. 

Amazing achievement for the development team and one that you can tell the whole club has been working hard towards. Two or three of them getting 10 or 15 appearances in the first team next year would be another great achievement. 

Great discounts being offered for next seasons season tickets too so hopefully an increase in uptake there too, I'll be taking advantage of the early bird 10% discount anyway.

frankthetank22 

On 21/05/2017 at 09:20, Bri RCFC said:

Winning the development league and finishing strongly in 7th can't be seen as a failure, aiming for top 6 but just missing out, don't really think that's a failure either given the competitiveness of the league this season. Id take a 7th place finish for next season right now, especially if Accies loose the play off!

16 hours ago, frankthetank22 said:

^^^^That just about sums it up for County imo.

We were aiming for top 6 but tbf our midfield was too unsettled to achieve it, plus I thought PT were well deserving of their top 6 spot.

Liam has been amazing this season he contributes so much more than just goals to the team. Craig Curren was a huge miss for us with his injury problems at the start of the year but he's back to his best as far as I could tell these last few weeks. 

Amazing achievement for the development team and one that you can tell the whole club has been working hard towards. Two or three of them getting 10 or 15 appearances in the first team next year would be another great achievement. 

Great discounts being offered for next seasons season tickets too so hopefully an increase in uptake there too, I'll be taking advantage of the early bird 10% discount anyway.

cba checking back to start of season, but I'm sure there were many teams whose fans were expecting / aiming for / hoping for top 6, including Inverness and Dundee.

County did not click on too many occasions quite to grab enough points, but were not far off.

Like many fans, the County fans have had shredded nerves and frustrations until County ultimately secured a deserved 7th.

Success

Archived