2 hours ago, Gnash said:

People don't get demonised for not wanting to work

I think they do, though - I mind speaking to a Glasgow guy who's a bit older than me - we got on really well until he was going on about how 'young folk dinnae want tae work', and I said that a lot people (including me) work because they have to - who actually wants to work? Certainly not me.

The guy just couldn't get his head around it, and didn't speak to me for ages - for the specific reason that I said I don't want to work.  He was a nice guy too.

• Replies 131
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A sizeable amount of jobs in the developed world are totally pointless. Give it 20 - 30 more years and there wont be enough jobs to go round for the majority anyway. Unless you are doing something which requires human interaction such as health care, or are using intelligence and creativity to innovate then a fucking robot will be able to do it soon.

People like to kick up a fuss because they've had to work hard all their life. Surely the point is things get easier for each generation? There should be a 24 hour working week as standard and universal basic income by now. 

I know for a fact most of the Eastern European's at my work think the Scottish workers are a bunch of lazy b*****ds.

I am a forklift driver and last week a new lad started beside me, he is Bulgarian. We were getting on fine at first when I was showing him the ropes. As the week went on though everytime we had finished loading a wagon he would get off his forklift and start sweeping the floor or something similar. I told him he didn't need to do that but he said he liked to keep busy. You get 10-15 minutes in between loads and I take this time to f**k about on my phone or go out to smoke but now I feel like I've got to tidy up too or I will look bad. Over the course of the week I became absolutely seething at his constant cleaning so when he went for his lunch on Friday I threw the brush on the roof, hid the bin and made as much mess as possible all afternoon. By the end of the day he was all stressed out at the mess and got on his hands and knees to sweep dust and bits of cardboard up with his bare hands. Even though I told him cleaners or warehouse staff would sort it. 

Can't understand people with this attitude towards work. People who run about the workplace trying to look keen and hard working is my pet hate in life and makes me more angry than it probably should. 

I think work ethic is a good thing - and it's absolutely human nature.

I definitely enjoy my job and if we won the lottery I would still work (but would obviously take more holidays and tailor my work to suit me perfectly).

Are those who don't want to work happy enough for others you do it so they can benefit? That's a pretty morally corrupt way to look at life I reckon.

I think they do, though - I mind speaking to a Glasgow guy who's a bit older than me - we got on really well until he was going on about how 'young folk dinnae want tae work', and I said that a lot people (including me) work because they have to - who actually wants to work? Certainly not me.
The guy just couldn't get his head around it, and didn't speak to me for ages - for the specific reason that I said I don't want to work.  He was a nice guy too.

I think I'm with the old guy with this one.

I think it's more about people wanting to be creative and inventive in their leisure time, but by the time you've worked a full shift, travelled to and from work, and spent a 'free' hour in the middle of the working day miles from where you'd like to be, you're too fucked to do enough of the stuff you want to do - then you spend your weekend catching up on things, and catching up on much-needed rest.  It's a grind, and the sheer drudgery of it can be quite soul destroying.

I feel sorry for you.

Myself and the majority of people I know work roughly 9-5pm, Monday to Friday and have have enough time and money to enjoy leisure activities and time with their family.

Just because you're absolutely scunnered with your work /life, don't assume everyone is underpaid, overworked and unhappy

I enjoy working and the routine that comes with it and have always had job satisfaction from what i have done. It's people that bother me and i have had to work with my fair share of absolute morons in my younger years especially which resulted in me going in to work absolutely hating it which is an awful feeling and feels inescapable. 

I'm not sure what I'm going to be doing in a years time as i have just graduated, but i have a cushy job for the time being that pays well and i get next to no hassle from co workers or the boss and pretty much work unsupervised. I think the entire education system is wrong and kids are shot out into the world at 17/18 without really having a clue about the working environment and what is required of them. 

12 minutes ago, Am Featha *****h Nan Clach said:

I feel sorry for you.

Myself and the majority of people I know work roughly 9-5pm, Monday to Friday and have have enough time and money to enjoy leisure activities and time with their family.

Just because you're absolutely scunnered with your work /life, don't assume everyone is underpaid, overworked and unhappy

I don't think I said I was scunnered with my work life, or that everyone is underpaid, overworked and unhappy.

Fair enough if you've bought into it.

Thanks for the sympathy - that'll keep me going for a wee while.

Work is actually good when you first start out as it lets you meet new people and, if you're still living with your folks, you get to keep most of the money and do what you want with it.

It doesn't take long to become utterly soul-destroying though. It's a total waste of life.

People that enjoy work are definitely for the watching. Utter weirdos, the lot of them.

I enjoy work, because I get to earn decent money for doing very little, the social aspect of my job is actually quite enjoyable and since I, to a certain degree, am in charge of staffing, I can work whatever days I want.

Basic premise is you need to earn money to live. Those that think the state is somehow going to provide endless resources for them sit and enjoy the safety of their current lifestyle for providing nothing in return are deluded.

Some jobs are shit, some are less so. All have some degree of grief. If you think you're getting paid wads for doing f**k all, I'd suggest you keep a keen eye on your back.

Have been self employed for 12 years. Have had good times and bad times. I've worked myself into the ground when I'm busy, have annoyed the life out of myself and everyone I love when it's been slow. Both the best and worst career move I've ever made all wrapped up in one. Difference is I've got no one to blame it on but me.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that those on this thread that complain most about work are working for big companies where the labour resource is neither properly explained nor understood in what is a hugely competitive world.

Not suggesting that the current hugely competitive world is the right model, but globally it is where we are now, it is what it is, and it ain't changing any time soon. And that holds whether it is Teresa, Jeremy or Nicola in no.10 for the next 5 years.

Soz folks.

Hate work but there's f**k all else to do to see the weekdays in. Used to work unlimited overtime but for what, made plenty money but what a waste. Missed out on so much. Think I've worked 3 Saturday mornings in 10 years, quite sufficient imo

1 hour ago, alta-pete said:

Basic premise is you need to earn money to live. Those that think the state is somehow going to provide endless resources for them sit and enjoy the safety of their current lifestyle for providing nothing in return are deluded.

Some jobs are shit, some are less so. All have some degree of grief. If you think you're getting paid wads for doing f**k all, I'd suggest you keep a keen eye on your back.

Have been self employed for 12 years. Have had good times and bad times. I've worked myself into the ground when I'm busy, have annoyed the life out of myself and everyone I love when it's been slow. Both the best and worst career move I've ever made all wrapped up in one. Difference is I've got no one to blame it on but me.

I'll go out on a limb and suggest that those on this thread that complain most about work are working for big companies where the labour resource is neither properly explained nor understood in what is a hugely competitive world.

Not suggesting that the current hugely competitive world is the right model, but globally it is where we are now, it is what it is, and it ain't changing any time soon. And that holds whether it is Teresa, Jeremy or Nicola in no.10 for the next 5 years.

Soz folks.

I don't think there's been a single post on this thread that's said we don't need to work.

8 hours ago, Falcor Roar said:

A sizeable amount of jobs in the developed world are totally pointless. Give it 20 - 30 more years and there wont be enough jobs to go round for the majority anyway. Unless you are doing something which requires human interaction such as health care, or are using intelligence and creativity to innovate then a fucking robot will be able to do it soon.

People like to kick up a fuss because they've had to work hard all their life. Surely the point is things get easier for each generation? There should be a 24 hour working week as standard and universal basic income by now. 

Utter pish. So if you're lucky enough to be in a job that robots could do, you're free to piss about doing hee-haw for a very generous 24 hours a week - your only responsibility presumably being keeping the robot from killing anyone - while the mugs who chose the "looking after people" role still need to bust a gut to cope with the twin problems of plummeting birth rates and everyone living longer?

Working is fairly pish.....working for a big company means you're working to make other people (shareholders /directors ) rich. I'm currently self employed n whilst the money is a bit pish compared to my previous jobs at least it's mine and none of it goes to morons in marketing.....

Archived