Dundee United VS Hamilton | Hamilton VS Dundee United

Keep seeing folk going on about how the playoffs favour the Premiership side and sob stories about poor United running out of steam after playing 6 playoff games.

Hamilton played 38 league games. United played 36. Hamilton travelled to Dingwall the night United hosted Falkirk and then played a must win game against us the following Saturday - giving them 1 less day rest than United before the first leg.

If the team who finished 2nd makes the playoff final they end up playing 40 games for a place in the Premiership - the same as the Premiership side will play. If you finish 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league, it's hardly unreasonable to expect to have an extra hurdle in the way to gain Promotion.

This whole titled in the Premiership sides favour is a total myth.

16 minutes ago, Mr Gandosaur said:

Keep seeing folk going on about how the playoffs favour the Premiership side and sob stories about poor United running out of steam after playing 6 playoff games.

Hamilton played 38 league games. United played 36. Hamilton travelled to Dingwall the night United hosted Falkirk and then played a must win game against us the following Saturday - giving them 1 less day rest than United before the first leg.

If the team who finished 2nd makes the playoff final they end up playing 40 games for a place in the Premiership - the same as the Premiership side will play. If you finish 3rd or 4th in a 10 team league, it's hardly unreasonable to expect to have an extra hurdle in the way to gain Promotion.

This whole titled in the Premiership sides favour is a total myth.

Excellent point. The fact the Premiership season is longer seems to escape all the pundits. If you finish 3rd or 4th in a ten team league you should thank your lucky stars that you still have a chance of promotion after the 36 games. I think it should be kept to second bottom v 2nd through all the divisions. No harm to Brechin City but finishing 4th out of 10 teams should not result in promotion. We are rewarding mediocrity.

Edited by Owsley

I wonder if one thing that does help the Premiership team is the standard of opposition they have faced over the course of the season. Hamilton looked sharper on the ball and more composed in possession. They also handled anything we tried fairly comfortably. Playing a higher standard of opposition would posit;y give you a slight edge in that respect. 

Do Hamilton fans expect much of an overhaul in the close season? The Premiership next year will be even tougher you would think.

Wasn't exactly a surprising outcome that the Premiership team stayed up. The three Championship playoff teams are all utter shite.

One of those where you look back and kick yourself for not throwing some decent money on it.

Edited by Alan Stubbs

I don't think Hibs have been particularly good this season even though I'm realistic about the level of football that I've watched.  There's been times when I've wondered how they managed to maintain such a strong position in the Championship.  Watching those play off games has made me understand why, the quality has been genuinely :lol:.

1 minute ago, The Diabolical One said:

I don't think Hibs have been particularly good this season even though I'm realistic about the level of football that I've watched.  There's been times when I've wondered how they managed to maintain such a strong position in the Championship.  Watching those play off games has made me understand why, the quality has been genuinely :lol:.

Agree with this. The Championship has been low on quality this season. And although I am pleased for Brechin, can't see them adding anything quality wise next season.

9 minutes ago, Owsley said:

Excellent point. The fact the Premiership season is longer seems to escape all the pundits. If you finish 3rd or 4th in a ten team league you should thank your lucky stars that you still have a chance of promotion after the 36 games. I think it should be kept to second bottom v 2nd through all the divisions. No harm to Brechin City but finishing 4th out of 10 teams should not result in promotion. We are rewarding mediocrity.

Agree 4th going up isn't right. It works both ways though. Why after finishing second bottom in a twelve team league should Hamilton not be thanking their lucky stars they got another chance. The way Hamilton celebrated yesterday was ridiculous in the grand scheme of things (celebrating mediocrity). One up one down was wrong - let's not let it shape our thinking.

The lower league play offs actually serve their intended purpose, which is to give all teams something to play for over the course of the whole season. That generally happens. It can result in some fairly undeserved outcomes though. 

12 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

I wonder if one thing that does help the Premiership team is the standard of opposition they have faced over the course of the season. Hamilton looked sharper on the ball and more composed in possession. They also handled anything we tried fairly comfortably. Playing a higher standard of opposition would posit;y give you a slight edge in that respect. 

Do Hamilton fans expect much of an overhaul in the close season? The Premiership next year will be even tougher you would think.

Can't see a massive overhaul to be honest. We really need another forward as Bingham isn't really up to it but we have unearthed a couple of good uns' in Gogic, who is a terrific prospect, and Skondras who i hope signs on again. I can see a couple stepping up from the U20s, namely Cunningham and Tierney who are good prospects.

I've always thought stumigoo was a good guy for an arab but to hear he abused fellow dabs puts him right up in my estimations. 

Once Dundee becomes a one club city after Utd get hit with the inevitable administration and subsequent liquidation, I would like to invite @stumigoo to bring his newborn to the dark blue side once he repents for his sins and admits the error of his ways.

3 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

The way Hamilton celebrated yesterday was ridiculous in the grand scheme of things (celebrating mediocrity).

After being written off every season we've been a Premiership club as nothing more than 12th placed cannon fodder, is it any wonder we celebrated? It's a big GIRUY to all the doubters if anything. We were also celebrating the fact that it's the 1st time the club has achieved 4 consecutive seasons in the top flight post WW2. With such limited resources and mediocre fan base, that has to go down as a great achievement. And don't tell me Airdrie wouldn't have been celebrating in that manner if they'd been in our shoes yesterday.

The play-offs were introduced in 13/14 - a season that Hearts started with -25 (?) points and Sevco were probably going to get promoted to the second tier. If they were going to rig it, surely it'd be done so that they could've had 2 big teams that were most likely gonna be in Championship both in a good chance of going up?
If it were rigged, they'd have reconstructed by now to let massive clubs replace us minnows.

I've always thought stumigoo was a good guy for an arab but to hear he abused fellow dabs puts him right up in my estimations. 
Once Dundee becomes a one club city after Utd get hit with the inevitable administration and subsequent liquidation, I would like to invite [mention=12809]stumigoo[/mention] to bring his newborn to the dark blue side once he repents for his sins and admits the error of his ways.

You want my baby to be ginger AND a Dundee fan? That's no life for a human being.

Nah. Unless we see a hilarious brain fart of a season from someone like Dundee United, Inverness or St Mirren have the past 3, I can't see us doing it. We added well during this season with Skondras, Gogic and Templeton, but last summer's dealings were fairly meh.
Looks like we're losing two 'keepers and we probably need a couple of strikers, maybe a centre-back as well.
We're only here for the party anyways.

6 minutes ago, stumigoo said:

You want my baby to be ginger AND a Dundee fan? That's no life for a human being.

Ah, but if s/he becomes a Dundee fan, s/he doesn't have to aspire to be a human being, too.

1 minute ago, accies1874 said:

Nah. Unless we see a hilarious brain fart of a season from someone like Dundee United, Inverness or St Mirren have the past 3, I can't see us doing it. We added well during this season with Skondras, Gogic and Templeton, but last summer's dealings were fairly meh.
Looks like we're losing two 'keepers and we probably need a couple of strikers, maybe a centre-back as well.
We're only here for the party anyways.

What's the story with Woods? Is he out of contract or has there been a falling out behind the scenes?