West Region summer transfer speculation 2017

glensmad

1 hour ago, superpollok said:

In the 3 full seasons Tony has been at the club he has won

in first season super first and ET

second season - league cup

third season - WoS cup

Add in our first appearance in the Scottish final for 20 years and I doubt there is any other manager except Sloan who has won more in that time. 

I agree it's been a steady climb, and the main thing that is missing is a push at the league title, which hopefully is the next step this season.

Last season many Pollok supporters, including myself, were critical of the way we were playing, favourites getting played and the lack of depth in the squad.

these things seem to have been addressed in how we have recruited this summer, so it's obvious that that Tony and the rest of his team recognised what was needed to make the next step, it's just now delivering that. I do think he will feel pressure, but that isn't to do with the signing policy, just the pressure of being the manager of a football club. 

Would've said that Glenafton eclipsed that last season alone ... but it's not too shabby

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Massive pressure on Pollok. My long time Pollok supporting work mate commented by the end of this season it will be ten years since they won the top league and twenty years since last won Scottish. That's a massive amount of time for Pollok to have went without winning one of the big two, almost unthinkable not so long ago. Along with Talbot, and one or two other teams that's unacceptable at that club his thoughts and one many will agree with including me.

Everything else is secondary, great for most other teams but being one of leading lights in junior football for the last forty years everything is looked in a totally different light.

It's clear as day if they don't win either league or scottish that it, can't do anymore and would be time for someone else to have a go his thoughts and one again i could not disagree with.

I've stuck a good chunk of money on Pollok to win league and double, I do hope I'm wrong just can't see past it!

Massive pressure on Pollok...

You're like a cracked record now, Brian. We get it that you don't like Tony McInally and that you think that Pollok are a real threat to Rob Roy this season, so you're trying to constantly raise expectations to try and put some pressure on them. But it's a bit boring reading the same thing over and over.

10 hours ago, geo 1909 said:

I heard pollok are getting their money from one of the guys who was involved at the medda, just look at the mess they were left in

Utter and complete nonsense. Lok have no "sugar daddy" ... Or mommy for that matter.

3 hours ago, superpollok said:

In the 3 full seasons Tony has been at the club he has won

in first season super first and ET

second season - league cup

third season - WoS cup

Add in our first appearance in the Scottish final for 20 years and I doubt there is any other manager except Sloan who has won more in that time. 

I agree it's been a steady climb, and the main thing that is missing is a push at the league title, which hopefully is the next step this season.

Last season many Pollok supporters, including myself, were critical of the way we were playing, favourites getting played and the lack of depth in the squad.

these things seem to have been addressed in how we have recruited this summer, so it's obvious that that Tony and the rest of his team recognised what was needed to make the next step, it's just now delivering that. I do think he will feel pressure, but that isn't to do with the signing policy, just the pressure of being the manager of a football club. 

Pollok Juniors management job is one of the biggest in Junior football and always goes hand in hand with pressure.
From what I have seen it looks like Tony is doing a slow but fine job, building as he goes along.
incorporating the Pollok Soccer Academy was a great idea and will hopefully bring dividends for Pollok in the future.
The Pollok team last year, I personally thought, was slow paced but this new team looks younger and willing to attack constantly from all angles.

Would Tony get sacked if they don't win the league or Scottish, that's not for any of us to say but I do expect them to be in the latter stages of each competition.  Pollok committee and fans have shown faith in Tony and they see what his plans are in the team and their future and I think everyone is on the same page to let him continue for a few years yet, personally I totally agree with this. There is a plan in place to build a strong powerful unit right through the core and not just the first team but a unit that the whole community wants to be a part of.

1 hour ago, rednblack said:

Massive pressure on Pollok. My long time Pollok supporting work mate commented by the end of this season it will be ten years since they won the top league and twenty years since last won Scottish. That's a massive amount of time for Pollok to have went without winning one of the big two, almost unthinkable not so long ago. Along with Talbot, and one or two other teams that's unacceptable at that club his thoughts and one many will agree with including me.

Everything else is secondary, great for most other teams but being one of leading lights in junior football for the last forty years everything is looked in a totally different light.

It's clear as day if they don't win either league or scottish that it, can't do anymore and would be time for someone else to have a go his thoughts and one again i could not disagree with.

I've stuck a good chunk of money on Pollok to win league and double, I do hope I'm wrong just can't see past it!

You just keep telling yourself Tony is under pressure if it makes you happy. If we do manage to win the league and double you can give Cumbernauld Rob Roy some money to try get back to Kirky :) 

22 hours ago, rednblack said:

Of course but most haven't done it to such a massive extent in one full go , 10 big signings in a short space of time is massive investment and massive pressure , always been big pressure at pollok but never more so than this season.
Will say one thing despite the big signings and how i expect them to win the league i don't this team will have the fear factor of Pollok teams from ten / twenty years ago . Will be interesting to see how it goes , if it gets to the point of naming people on the bench who aren't even in the country then the game really is a bogey with that squad emoji4.png

Games a bogey with the squad but on the other hand you think they will win the league? :blink:

29 minutes ago, muller said:

Games a bogey with the squad but on the other hand you think they will win the league? :blink:

you're looking for sense and logic in the last place you're going to find it - the postings of R&B.

The Pollok Board faced a huge task as Willie Irvine destroyed much of the club in his short and disastrous reign.It was a massive error of judgement in appointing him and it has taken years to rebuild things.The club and fans are totally behind Tony and recognise what he has already achieved.It takes time and patience and no-one is looking to chop and change as a knee jerk reaction just because he doesn't win major trophies in a short space of time because of new signings or otherwise.Much as supporters of other clubs want to put him under pressure the vast majority of Lok fans are delighted with what he has achieved and what the club is doing whether on or off the park from the ongoing affiliation with Pollok United,review of stadium possibilities,commercial backing or otherwise.Pollok are in a very strong place win,lose or draw on the park whether fans of other clubs like it or not.

43 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

The Pollok Board faced a huge task as Willie Irvine destroyed much of the club in his short and disastrous reign.It was a massive error of judgement in appointing him and it has taken years to rebuild things.The club and fans are totally behind Tony and recognise what he has already achieved.It takes time and patience and no-one is looking to chop and change as a knee jerk reaction just because he doesn't win major trophies in a short space of time because of new signings or otherwise.Much as supporters of other clubs want to put him under pressure the vast majority of Lok fans are delighted with what he has achieved and what the club is doing whether on or off the park from the ongoing affiliation with Pollok United,review of stadium possibilities,commercial backing or otherwise.Pollok are in a very strong place win,lose or draw on the park whether fans of other clubs like it or not.

Think without doubt if Pollok want to get back to the very top where they used to be then this way, in todays environment, I personally think is the best way.  The Committee and fans believe in a manager and coaching staff that they have appointed and are without doubt giving him time.  He has already produced trophies and has brought stability on and off the park as well as the committee.

I'm not privy to other on-going such as on and off the park in commercial etc.. but one thing for sure as a guy who played in junior football and knows what expected at that level, I for one know with the connection with Pollok Soccer Academy, Sena will not be the last Youth to make the Junior grade at a young level.

Regards Willie Irvine, don't know him or the story but I take it he was at the helm when Pollok went down or got rid of the social club ?
Still shake my head when I read all this happening to such a giant in the junior game.

4 hours ago, classof2010 said:

There is 3 teams at least with just as good a squad as pollok. Talbot beith and the Glen's for sure

I would say Pollok have a squad now as good as at least 3 other teams, Talbot, Beith and the Glens.
These 3 squads and more have been strong for a number of years, Pollok's hasn't, well indepth, that's for sure.

Lets all hope this makes out for a great league and games and pure excitement.
Oh and I think Kilbirnie are moving along under the radar and haven't heard much about Hurlford either so all fun at the fair.

I would say Pollok have a squad now as good as at least 3 other teams, Talbot, Beith and the Glens.
These 3 squads and more have been strong for a number of years, Pollok's hasn't, well indepth, that's for sure.
Lets all hope this makes out for a great league and games and pure excitment

I said the 4 clubs had strong squads pollok got to hit ground running with so many new faces the others still have nucleus of first 11 from last few years and in Talbot and beiths case the new additions look to have made them stronger never write of Talbot they might have lost 4 good players but they have made some very good signings to replace them I'm looking forward to seeing beiths middle to forward this season mckenna n milliken added to what is already there makes me confident of a good season I've not mentioned hurlford but I do expect them to be in there this season

If your a pollok fan you should be rubbing your hands at the forth coming season,i think pollok have pinpointed the players they need to be succesful and went and got them,i cant see how that brings extra pressure,rather the oppisite,it shows ambition to the fans and if you have the resources like pollok,use them.Speculate to accumulate i think thats correct phrase,go on a winning run and you'll see four figure attendances at newlandsfield every home game,recoup the money spent and good prospects of silverware at seasons end,where's the pressure?

13 minutes ago, Bestsinceslicebread said:

Think without doubt if Pollok want to get back to the very top where they used to be then this way, in todays environment, I personally think is the best way.  The Committee and fans believe in a manager and coaching staff that they have appointed and are without doubt giving him time.  He has already produced trophies and has brought stability on and off the park as well as the committee.

I'm not privy to other on-going such as on and off the park in commercial etc.. but one thing for sure as a guy who played in junior football and knows what expected at that level, I for one know with the connection with Pollok Soccer Academy, Sena will not be the last Youth to make the Junior grade at a young level.

Regards Willie Irvine, don't know him or the story but I take it he was at the helm when Pollok went down or got rid of the social club ?
Still shake my head when I read all this happening to such a giant in the junior game.

The Academy is a great development for Lok and the social club sale wasn't anything to do with Irvine-it simply wasn't a viable commercial operation anymore as urban social clubs especially in Shawlands area competing against 50 odd pubs and clubs of all types no longer work-it had its day and the club made a return on the sale to move forward while allowing the new operator to turn it into a superb modern bar/restaurant.A shame but unless you are in a small rural/village location where there isn't anything else going on a junior social club holds little appeal to consumers these days.

8 minutes ago, Duraglit shareholder said:

If your a pollok fan you should be rubbing your hands at the forth coming season,i think pollok have pinpointed the players they need to be succesful and went and got them,i cant see how that brings extra pressure,rather the oppisite,it shows ambition to the fans and if you have the resources like pollok,use them.Speculate to accumulate i think thats correct phrase,go on a winning run and you'll see four figure attendances at newlandsfield every home game,recoup the money spent and good prospects of silverware at seasons end,where's the pressure?

Well said that man.Lok are very ambitious,professionally run at every level by those who love the club and just want to do well.There will always be knockers but for most Tony McInally is an intelligent,astute,passionate man who we want to see at Newlandsfield for years.

13 minutes ago, Lokloyal said:

The Academy is a great development for Lok and the social club sale wasn't anything to do with Irvine-it simply wasn't a viable commercial operation anymore as urban social clubs especially in Shawlands area competing against 50 odd pubs and clubs of all types no longer work-it had its day and the club made a return on the sale to move forward while allowing the new operator to turn it into a superb modern bar/restaurant.A shame but unless you are in a small rural/village location where there isn't anything else going on a junior social club holds little appeal to consumers these days.

Thanks Lok

The academy developed and started by Andy Elliott and others, (I believe), is now a institution that Pollok FC couldn't ignore any longer and realised the benefits with a merger that can see youth being developed to a higher standard. I have witnessed it first hand and watch First team coaches come in and help take some coaching sessions and I know this will pay big big dividends for Pollok Fc and the committee and fans.  There has always been a connections with some boys teams but nothing like on this scale, with first team coaching coming to help train the youths and youth taking spells with the first team training to show them what is expected of the youth at that level.  I can only see a bright future for Pollok Fc by the way they are going about their business.

I now want to see the coaches of the youth teams come to first team sessions for ideas and to learn the level of expectation and training. Each age group should be developed so that they can easily and seamlessly move into the higher section, i.e. u17's into U19s then to U21s and then seamlessly into the u21s.  It will all bowed well once everyone is on the same page with this understanding. The merger is there for a reason so it should all be made to work and if other junior teams do this then wouldn't it be great that New Season Thread has a lot of chat about youths coming through the ranks to join the first teams.

Archived