Labour councillors in Aberdeen suspended over Tory coalition

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I hate to be picky but clearly the majority opinion in Aberdeen was for someone other than the SNP wasnt it?

You are quite the imbecile.

12 hours ago, Crùbag said:

Labour are an utter shambles.

Just when Corbyn starts to make some headway in the polls, Abbot fluffs her figures, manifesto is leaked, Len McCluskey admits defeat and now Kezia has lost control of the branch office.

Tory councillors are firing off BNP/ EDL type-tweets left, right and centre and still Labour fails to make hay while the sun is shining - relatively speaking for them - and manages a shambles of their own.

Far-right, right and centre surely?

I've not been following this that closely so maybe I've picked this up all wrong but it doesn't seem right that you can be elected as a councillor with a particular party, win a seat and then be chucked out of the party/resign and stay in position as an independent. Shouldn't these be contested again? Especially in Aberdeen where this is the case for most of the councillors!

I've not been following this that closely so maybe I've picked this up all wrong but it doesn't seem right that you can be elected as a councillor with a particular party, win a seat and then be chucked out of the party/resign and stay in position as an independent. Shouldn't these be contested again? Especially in Aberdeen where this is the case for most of the councillors!

morally, yes.
Legally, no.

Sadly.

Jennifer Stewart has told my dad that she joined the coalition because the voters said to her on the doorstep that they didn't want a second independence referendum and to keep the SNP out at all costs. 

Jennifer Stewart has told my dad that she joined the coalition because the voters said to her on the doorstep that they didn't want a second independence referendum and to keep the SNP out at all costs. 

693adef086c8b37922f6063ce182d97e.jpg

The Lib Dems in Perth are apparently saying the same. Seems to be the default reasoning for all.

21 minutes ago, DrewDon said:

Aberdeen City Council does not have the ability to call (or block) a second independence referendum.

So the SNP got the biggest numbers, but not enough for a majority, so the also rans all clubbed together to keep them out? Pathetic.

The Tories and Labour must be absolutely seething at the SNP if they're willing to abandon all their principles and jump into bed with each other. Slags.

A little lesson from Canada on where this is probably heading. A couple of decades ago, can't remember exactly when, the BC version of the Tory party (funnily enough called Conservatives) was absolutely swept from the board in a BC election. Most of them simply abandoned ship and joined a resurgent equivalent of the Lib Dems (called the Liberals). The NDP (old labour) stayed as is. 

The very next election the Torys had completely taken control and they were now just as right wing as the party that was ostensibly the Torys. 

I personally think we're about five years away from Labour ceasing to exist in Scotland with the old guard invading the Tories. I just don't believe they have any ideals at all other than sticking their snouts in the trough, so they'll just go along with whatever their Tory buddies want. 

16 hours ago, oaksoft said:

I hate to be picky but clearly the majority opinion in Aberdeen was for someone other than the SNP wasnt it?

As a local, I can truly say that the majority desperately wanted anyone other than the existing incompetents - Labour.

Wouldn't be surprised if Willie ( I didn't know the land belonged to my father) Young  makes a reappearance.

54 minutes ago, topcat(The most tip top) said:

Neither does Edinburgh City Council which presumably explains why Labour and the SNP were able to coexist in coalition even while Indyref 1 was in progress.

East Ayrshire doesn't either....

2 hours ago, Blootoon87 said:

So the SNP got the biggest numbers, but not enough for a majority, so the also rans all clubbed together to keep them out? Pathetic.

The Tories and Labour must be absolutely seething at the SNP if they're willing to abandon all their principles and jump into bed with each other. Slags.

The SNP has done exactly the same in the past. I'm sure if the tories were the largest group in the council and labour and SNP formed a coalition, you might not have been quite as vociferous in your disgust. 

That's PR I'm afraid.

Some Labour supporters are going mental about this based on what I've read elsewhere and are even speculating whether Dugdale is an SNP agent sent in to destroy their party. In the general election they will need people leaning Tory to ignore the Corbyn factor and vote tactically for them to stop the SNP to win back a few seats in the central belt, so appearing to prefer the SNP to the Tories in local government achieves what exactly for them in strategic terms?

Archived