Labour councillors in Aberdeen suspended over Tory coalition

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is a fucking disgrace of the highest nature.

The labour councillors in power could not bear to let go of their positions.

Basically SNP by far had the most elected councillors but not enough for a majority and neither Tory or Labour had enough counsellors to form a council. So they made an offer to a Lib dem to become independant and therefore give them enough members to make a council of Labour, Conservative and Independent.

As a sweetner to Labour, who were destroyed due to their previous performance as ACC, they were allowed to keep their positions as per the previous council setup simply to keep SNP out. Instead of accepting the vote of no confidence they claim a historic victory by staying put.

Labour for the past 5 years have continually ignored the public in Aberdeen and just done whatever they feel like to the detriment of the city. Agreeing backhanders from developers etc to build huge office blocks in sensitive areas, spending tax payers cash to fix their back gardens etc

They have single handedly choked Aberdeen to death.

Having been answerable to no one for the past 5 years they decided to defy their parties orders and plough on anyway.

A coalition ONLY, to keep the SNP out of power in the council,which was exactly what the majority of people in Aberdeen voted for.

53 minutes ago, red23 said:

It is a fucking disgrace of the highest nature.

The labour councillors in power could not bear to let go of their positions.

Basically SNP by far had the most elected councillors but not enough for a majority and neither Tory or Labour had enough counsellors to form a council. So they made an offer to a Lib dem to become independant and therefore give them enough members to make a council of Labour, Conservative and Independent.

As a sweetner to Labour, who were destroyed due to their previous performance as ACC, they were allowed to keep their positions as per the previous council setup simply to keep SNP out. Instead of accepting the vote of no confidence they claim a historic victory by staying put.

Labour for the past 5 years have continually ignored the public in Aberdeen and just done whatever they feel like to the detriment of the city. Agreeing backhanders from developers etc to build huge office blocks in sensitive areas, spending tax payers cash to fix their back gardens etc

They have single handedly choked Aberdeen to death.

Having been answerable to no one for the past 5 years they decided to defy their parties orders and plough on anyway.

A coalition ONLY, to keep the SNP out of power in the council,which was exactly what the majority of people in Aberdeen voted for.

Thanks for your take on things.

I followed this earlier on Twitter without knowing the absolute ins-and-outs if it but at least I was aware that Kezia had declared 'no deals' unlike the vast majority of the folk who were commenting who kept going on about the Ayrshire SNP/Tory alliance as if that was the main point of the story.

Interesting that you already viewed the Labour folk as utter shites though.

Thanks for your take on things.

I followed this earlier on Twitter without knowing the absolute ins-and-outs if it but at least I was aware that Kezia had declared 'no deals' unlike the vast majority of the folk who were commenting who kept going on about the Ayrshire SNP/Tory alliance as if that was the main point of the story.

Interesting that you already viewed the Labour folk as utter shites though.

She is only saying this to garnish support pre GE

Speaking as an Aberdonian, I can only say we fucking deserve everything we get.  For five years we have put up with the shower of shite that was the city council but given the chance to kick them out we completely f**k it.  Marie Boulton got re-elected ffs.  Barney Fucking Crockett!

The next five years will see Aberdeen continue to go backwards, cementing its place as the laughing stock of Scotland.  All the while millionaires in their Deeside mansions tutting about the regeneration of Dundee and Glasgow and blaming the Scottish government for local service cuts, ignoring the council sitting on a mountain of money like a fucking dragon.  

I'm fucking scunnered of Aberdeen,I really am   :(  

Speaking as an Aberdonian, I can only say we fucking deserve everything we get.  For five years we have put up with the shower of shite that was the city council but given the chance to kick them out we completely f**k it.  Marie Boulton got re-elected ffs.  Barney Fucking Crockett!
The next five years will see Aberdeen continue to go backwards, cementing its place as the laughing stock of Scotland.  All the while millionaires in their Deeside mansions tutting about the regeneration of Dundee and Glasgow and blaming the Scottish government for local service cuts, ignoring the council sitting on a mountain of money like a fucking dragon.  
I'm fucking scunnered of Aberdeen,I really am   [emoji20]  

Aberdeen :lol:

Labour are an utter shambles.

Just when Corbyn starts to make some headway in the polls, Abbot fluffs her figures, manifesto is leaked, Len McCluskey admits defeat and now Kezia has lost control of the branch office.

Tory councillors are firing off BNP/ EDL type-tweets left, right and centre and still Labour fails to make hay while the sun is shining - relatively speaking for them - and manages a shambles of their own.

I'm fucking scunnered of Aberdeen,I really am   [emoji20]  

This is pretty much how I feel. Their sense of entitlement is entrenched. Instead of accepting defeat they have done a deal with the Tories to cling on to power and keep out the SNP.

Refused a 50million offer from Ian Wood to regenerate the city centre. Spent money on a public vote to decide what to do for the city centre and then refused to accept the result and instead did......well nothing really.

Built that monstrosity in front of the marischal building despite protests in the street.

An utter, utter shambles. I'm glad I left aberdeen, for a city that thousands of millions of pounds of oil money has washed through it really is a shithole.

Saddens me tbh

What an utter mess Labour are. Rumours online that the 'rebel' councillors won't be independents but are rebranding as 'Aberdeen Labour' :lol:

http://www.scotsman.com/news/politics/general-election/labour-suspends-aberdeen-councillors-over-tory-coalition-deal-1-4447944

Mr Lumsden defended the deal and said the “Unionist coalition” would work for the benefit of the city.“Aberdeen needs councillors to work together across party lines for the benefit of all who live here,” he said.“The city has gone through a difficult period due to the downturn in oil and gas and we need stability and strong leadership.“Crucially, we now have a Unionist coalition that will put the interests of Aberdeen first, not obsess over a second independence referendum. However, the reckless threat of disciplinary action against Aberdeen Labour from Kezia Dugdale today could put that stability at risk.”

18 minutes ago, oaksoft said:

I hate to be picky but clearly the majority opinion in Aberdeen was for someone other than the SNP wasnt it?

Really ? Almost every election in history has resulted in a majority for someone other than the winner.

Archived