Jump to content

Brechin 1 v 2 Alloa, Alloa 4 v 1 Brechin


Recommended Posts

What an unbelievable 10 days that's been. Feel totally worn out just watching that. The players must be shattered. We'll done City, that was a fantastic achievement. To think that just less than two years ago Darren only had 6 or 7 signed players to start with then 14 months ago we were staring relagation in the eye to taking us to the championship. That is some achievement in its self.
Bring it on, can't wait and will enjoy every moment win or lose.
Lastly, thought the Alloa fans were great at the end.
Good luck for next season.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Absolutely incredible stuff, for the second week in a row. What a tremendous achievement by the management and players. When I trudged out of Balmoor last February having gone 10 points adrift of safety with just 10 games to go, I was resigned to the fact we were league 2 bound. Now barely 15 months later we are now in the Championship. It's been an incredible turnaround.

 

Next season is going to be very tough, there's no doubt about that. We'll be hot favourites to go straight back down but after a decade in the same division it's now time to put our wits up against the 'big boys'.

 

Hard lines to Alloa, they were undoubtedly the 2nd best team in the league but City turned up when it mattered most. I'm sure they will bounce back and challenge again for the league next season.

 

What a way for Jamesy Dale to sign off. Scores an absolute pearler of a goal (where did the technique come from?!), puts in what was a man of the match performance in my opinion then puts away the winning penalty. Any way we can stop him returning to England?!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, CITY1974 said:

Well done to both teams for serving up a cracker ..Alloa have done us twice before in Play Offs so we were due them one .. 6 great goals .I genuinely think without our horror injury epidemic mid season we d finished 2nd or 3rd..Ill be first to admit I hated Darrens defensive tatics for most of the season but know its all paid off .Good to see so many brechiners down yesterday hopefully a few will keep coming back ... 

As for nxt season we ll just treat it as an adventure we know it ll be hard but just getting up means everything ... Don t know if i d release any of them Caldwell especially i think deserves a 2nd chance he was well up for it yesterday but unfortunatly got hooked in a tatical switch.Will club have made money for getting promotion ?.

It will be very interesting to see what happens with who is going and probably more importantly who is coming in, as for Caldwell yes I think he has the skill just not motivation or desire and we cannot afford passengers who decide what games they are going to try in so I would let him go. Committee have some big decisions to make with regard budget for players and are no doubt pulling together a plan based on projected increases to gate monies etc etc. A very very difficult season ahead for the City 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Congratulations Brechin. Really didn't see that one coming but it's a great achievement to beat Raith and Alloa, who must have been strong favourites in each tie.

It's looking like a very tough Championship but Dumbarton have shown the other diddies how it's done. Enjoy.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, theycallmetrinity said:

What an unbelievable 10 days that's been. Feel totally worn out just watching that. The players must be shattered. We'll done City, that was a fantastic achievement. To think that just less than two years ago Darren only had 6 or 7 signed players to start with then 14 months ago we were staring relagation in the eye to taking us to the championship. That is some achievement in its self.
Bring it on, can't wait and will enjoy every moment win or lose.
Lastly, thought the Alloa fans were great at the end.
Good luck for next season.

Never really get that one,'will enjoy every moment win or lose',if you get beat 4 in the first 4 games will you enjoy every moment,I hate getting beat one game,never mind the number of games Brechin will probably get beat next season.I heard Darren Dodds say he'll get the same squad signed up,ouch, don't fancy your chances.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

It's all about the occasion and the achievement, yes brechin will no doubt be odds on favourites to come down again, and yes, we will probably get a spanking from some of the teams in our new league. 

 

I see this as an over achievement of the club, the guys should be immensely proud of what they have achieved. We have a good core team, a core which should be retained and improved on, what do you want Darren to do rip up the whole team and start again? Why would we do that with a team which finished 4th, and won promotion the hard way? If it ain't broke... 

 

You can't say you wouldn't be excited to see your club promoted and into the second tier of Scottish football? That's what I don't really get!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Never really get that one,'will enjoy every moment win or lose',if you get beat 4 in the first 4 games will you enjoy every moment,I hate getting beat one game,never mind the number of games Brechin will probably get beat next season.I heard Darren Dodds say he'll get the same squad signed up,ouch, don't fancy your chances.

Had we not had the injury crisis mid season to quite a few of our key players then we would have comfortably been in the play offs. I think we showed enough in the first half of the season  and at the end to prove that the team was pretty good.  We do obviously need some more quality additions but I am sure Darren is on the case. We will surprise a lot of people of that I am sure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, theoriginalhedge said:

Had we not had the injury crisis mid season to quite a few of our key players then we would have comfortably been in the play offs. I think we showed enough in the first half of the season  and at the end to prove that the team was pretty good.  We do obviously need some more quality additions but I am sure Darren is on the case. We will surprise a lot of people of that I am sure.

Hedge,I think it's a great achievement for Brechin to get promoted,we all want to play at the highest level possible,but it's catch 22, you get beat often in this League higher,I've personally expeirence with Stranraer and after about 6 home games the glory hunters are gone,your left with the diehards and the euphoria of the play offs are a distant memory.I think Brechin with there home crowds cannot pay wages to the better players,but there again with this squad are they good enough so that's the situation your left with.Remember my own club nearly went bust chasing the dream,I really hope the board keep within there limits and I wish you's well.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, Car54wherareyou said:

Hedge,I think it's a great achievement for Brechin to get promoted,we all want to play at the highest level possible,but it's catch 22, you get beat often in this League higher,I've personally expeirence with Stranraer and after about 6 home games the glory hunters are gone,your left with the diehards and the euphoria of the play offs are a distant memory.I think Brechin with there home crowds cannot pay wages to the better players,but there again with this squad are they good enough so that's the situation your left with.Remember my own club nearly went bust chasing the dream,I really hope the board keep within there limits and I wish you's well.

I see where you are coming from and most of what you are saying makes sense. However there are one or two points to consider. Our support is already down to the diehard category with many of the glory hunters dropping like flies during our lean spell mid season. I don't think we have ever relied on our home support to finance anything within the club.  The visiting support though is a different matter.  Going up a league should attract a few larger away supports  in the championship .I know you will disagree from experience but logistics would probably favour us as Stranraer is quite a thought for the likes of Falkirk and Dunfermline fans who usually take a decent crowd. 

We will have to look to up our sponsorship potential this season.  Not easy in this financial climate but certainly not impossible. Our matchday hospitality will need to be re-thought to maximise potential income ....again not an impossible task.   The board must stick to their limits yes ( as they have done for years  very well )  but realistically I think even they must know that they have to move up a level and set the bar that bit higher in order to compete.  Not in a wreckless way by any means but in a realistic and sensible manner. There is money out there as I have witnessed in my own business life it is just a case of tapping into it and trying to give them value for money. 

The players will expect a bit more money naturally but I don't think the current squad will be too difficult to deal with. Experienced pros however can sometimes be  a different kettle of fish. That said , we have a great reputation for looking after players and the word soon gets around . We have been lucky in the past when our players have convinced others to come here.   Loan deals might be an option . Not always ideal but sometimes you unearth a gem like Craig Wighton for instance. 

It is certainly going to be a challenge of that we are in no doubt but I feel we are in a better position this season than at any other time we have been promoted to the championship / 1st Division. We have the nucleus of a decent team.  We have a management team  who are hopefully not going anywhere and will build on what they started, unlike the last time.  Also if I am not mistaken I think we enter the cups at an advanced stage which gives us a better chance of a good tie. 

  We have to remain positive .  All is certainly not as bleak as some folk think.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I'd like to add to all the comments on what a great game this was. I found myself home alone on Saturday evening and like a bit of a sad Billy Nomates I settled down to watch this on BCC Alba! Best game of football I've seen in years.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nxt season is up to the committee. Spend big n take a massive chance financially, or spend n take what ever we can do. No matter the decision we're up against it. Whatever they choose to do we need to back to the hilt no doubt about that and be realistic with our hopes

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The nxt season is up to the committee. Spend big n take a massive chance financially, or spend n take what ever we can do. No matter the decision we're up against it. Whatever they choose to do we need to back to the hilt no doubt about that and be realistic with our hopes

Think we need to spend within our means if I remeber rightly last time we got promoted to this level we took a massive gamble financially on some players and ended up with debt when were relegated the following season
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, theoriginalhedge said:

 We have to remain positive .  All is certainly not as bleak as some folk think.  

f**k it. Who cares if you come straight down again. So long as everybody gives it their best, that's all you can ask for, same as any other season.

...and you're almost certain to humiliate someone like Dundee United at some point too  ;)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, hedgeinthesouth said:


Think we need to spend within our means if I remeber rightly last time we got promoted to this level we took a massive gamble financially on some players and ended up with debt when were relegated the following season

 Aye that was a gamble right enough . It wasn't only the players we took a gamble on but also a rookie manager.   Comparing that to what we have today might be a bit harsh.  We currently have a core of guys who work hard for each other as a team and a manager who knows how to get the best out of them.  Back then we had a "manager " with no experience thinking that Gary Bollan and Gerry Britton could  bail him out at the combined age of about 80. 

Edited by theoriginalhedge
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sadly it's money if we want to compete,whether it's paying what we have a bit more or bringing in what we can't afford. Absolutely fantastic achievement that leaves us in a position where we don't want to f**k the club. Hopefully the board will get a realistic solution that suits the club

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...