Brechin 1 v 2 Alloa, Alloa 4 v 1 Brechin

• Replies 537
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, DumbartonTheSons said:

The lad Gale was impressive and seems highly rated.

I heard Graeme Smith mention that he (Gale) had considered returning down south. Where did Brechin sign him from? 

Forfar!

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

@hawk you get a ball today?

Haha. No. I was merely wondering what the consensus would be. Arguably one of the players of the year in league 1 this year pops up in their most important game with a hat trick and ends up unfortunately on the losing side. Usually you would want to keep the ball if it was any other game but given the end result, i personally would want to kick it to f**k. 

Saw the game from 2nd half on and it was a good game . Did post a while ago that Brechin should not be counted out when most thought Alloa/Airdrie would produce the winner. So well done to Brechin and I was delighted to see Liam Watt score a cool peach of a goal, especially after the way he was treated by our previous "management". Penalties finally went gainst Alloa but after last Saturday I am not too caring about the losers. Next season should be interesting with a solid bunch of competing sides, if we get shot of our chancers.

Well done Brechin. Brought a decent support with them and pretty noisy too. I'm sure they'll all enjoy their night and it's one for the memory bank of a lower league supporter, although unfortunately that's the case for the losing side's supporters too.

Great game as a single spectacle and just like last week Alloa were rotten on the Wednesday and good on the Saturday. Could've easily been 4-3 or 5-4 last week against Airdrie too had it not been for both keepers pulling off some great saves to keep their respective sides in it. Looked like a clear foul on Parry for Brechin's third but not going to complain about it, those are the breaks you get for/against your team all throughout the season in these leagues and it just so happened in such a vital fixture.

Would've liked to see Longworth come on today, perhaps for Kirkpatrick as we just didn't seem to have a lot of composure in the latter stages when it mattered and he's good with the ball at his feet as well as in the air. Also thought Holmes would've been a penalty taker, he's our best at them and didn't even take the sudden death one.

Be interesting to see who we can keep now that we're staying in League One, and a tougher one than this season in my opinion. Would expect Waters to leave, perhaps to St. Mirren and team up with Jack Ross again. I doubt Graham or McKeown would've been at the right pace for the Championship but perhaps both (and Marr) might stay now. Possibly Longworth too if he's assured of getting some more game time. I quite like the look of Martin too, he's a bit like a younger version of Flannigan and could prove to be a good addition to the first team squad throughout the coming seasons. I'd expect Goodwin to be kept on as manager too, although Mulraney is prone to the odd knee-jerk reaction so not counting on it, especially with Hartley out of a job although I doubt he'd drop down to League One level again anyway.

Anyway, good luck next season Brechin and we'll just have to enjoy Station Park and the Smokies next season instead of Inverness and em...Greenock. Oh well, every cloud I suppose! Also, we'll probably have a New Year 'derby' with Queens Park instead of one with Falkirk.

Surely to f**k Goody will still be in charge next season  :o

Martin's looked very promising indeed in the game time he's had. Tricksy wee bugger.

At the end of the day it's not going to change my life Airdrie win or lose. But it's good to have a team to support. We must dive head first into the transfer market and get a new keeper and defence.

Guest bernardblack
Well that was painful, well done to brechin good luck in the championship.

Hard one to take but we have won in way on other occasions.

I felt brechin were better over the course of the 2 ties, we gave it our all and thats all you can ask.

James dale had a great game rated him last time i seen him aswell, he had an exceptional game today.

Hope the guy in the crowd that collapsed is ok.

Dale always looked quality when he got a game (naturally Dick Campbell didn't like anyone who tried to play composed football)

Congrats to Brechin, that's some turn around from last season.

This might sound controversial, but the current SPFL set up is not helping Scottish football, We have approximately 10 clubs that can sustain full-time football based on their fan-base, another 10 or so capable of surviving at full-time based on their league position, another 10 who could potentially sustain full-time football if they achieved Premiership status. In the bigger picture, what we need is an expansion of the top two top leagues to allow a second tier that can accommodate a mixture of full-time and part-time sides where "smaller" clubs can aim to progress without making themselves financially vulnerable... 

Gutted I missed this; sounded a cracker! Hope Alba repeat it.
Commiserations Alloa but well done Brechin; some achievement. Love a trip to the Glebe so looking forward to meeting you next year!

Shoot the facker - must translate to hit the post in Gaelic.

Well done Brechin. I don't remember them being in the second tier before.

Either that or the commentator had money on him to score, and thats what hes go do to him?

Brechin City are second tier virgins since we moved to four divisions. Quite a few part-time sides have tried but eventually failed. QOS and Dumbarton have done well. Good luck to Brechin!

Brechin City are second tier virgins since we moved to four divisions. Quite a few part-time sides have tried but eventually failed. QOS and Dumbarton have done well. Good luck to Brechin!

No they aren't.

Ouch.

Despite the deflation at the end, it would've been completely wrong not to stay behind and applaud the players' efforts after that. Last week's game with Airdrie had loads of nerves and drama, but this one surpassed it. It was some game. 

Well done to Brechin - to be honest I was surprised when I heard they got through against Raith last weekend, but today they showed how they managed it and I was impressed by them. Given the second half of the season Brechin have had, it's pretty amazing that they're going up but good luck to them.

It was cruel on us today, but the play-offs add a lot of edge and I still love a penalty shoot out. Well maybe not all of them.

In 2nd league of four in 2004-05...

Archived