Ruth Davidson.

Im_Rodger

• 4 weeks later...

I find it hard to see the Tories giving her a high profile in next year's election - I can't see her "just an ordinary person" routine impressing many folk after the events of the  last year. That would just leave Ross appealing to the "staunch" vote.

41 minutes ago, btb said:

I find it hard to see the Tories giving her a high profile in next year's election

I can. Those who follow her venal manoeverings have a low opinion of her, but most people won't be aware that she's moved to the House of Lords, or hardly spoke to her constituents, or runs away from every tough interview. Or even that she's no longer leader of the Tories in Scotland. They still see her as that jovial, tank-straddling plain speaker, and no-one in the media reminds folk of the truth.

Plus, who else from the Tories is going to get a high-profile role? Murdo Fraser?

On 09/09/2020 at 13:34, Academically Deficient said:

•MSP

•Temp leader of Tories at Holyrood 

•Columnist, Mail on Sunday 

•Radio talkshow presenter

Have I missed anything?

Spends as much time with her family as an astronaut on a long-term contract.

She's in those pishy Bank of Scotland ads too.... 

• 1 month later...
I can. Those who follow her venal manoeverings have a low opinion of her, but most people won't be aware that she's moved to the House of Lords, or hardly spoke to her constituents

Speaking as an Edinburgh Central constituent: “Thank heavens for small mercies”

On 15/08/2020 at 11:02, Academically Deficient said:

This is it for me. What is the realistic ceiling for a Tory MSP?  Especially with support for independence rising.

It's a lifetime gig in the Lords, a title, a few directorships at Tory friendly corporates and a lucrative sideline as a tv personality/house trained jock.

When you think of actual tangible achievements you can attribute to her though, what are they?

Even I've contributed more to society, and that's saying something.

When we do gain Independence I very much doubt that Scots will be welcome at englands political table.

Sun headlines screaming in bold, ' Scotch foreigners voting on english laws' comes to mind.

So all going well Goldie and the Blurt and all other Scots unelected arselickers in the HOL might not have a cosy job for life.

Edited by SandyCromarty

3 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

When we do gain Independence I very much doubt that Scots will be welcome at englands political table.

Sun headlines screaming in bold, ' Scotch foreigners voting on english laws' comes to mind.

So all going well Goldie and the Blurt etc etc might not have a cosy job for life.

Yet another positive for Yes.

As for the Sun, and I agree with you, the response should be:

STREWTH COBBER!!! AUSSIE BORN, US CITIZEN PHONE HACKER  TELLS UK HOW TO VOTE AND HAS BEEN EFFECTIVELY RUNNING THE GOVT FOR 40 YEARS IN HIS OWN FINANCIAL INTERESTS SHOCK!!!

30 minutes ago, SandyCromarty said:

This is it for me. What is the realistic ceiling for a Tory MSP?  Especially with support for independence rising.

It's a lifetime gig in the Lords, a title, a few directorships at Tory friendly corporates and a lucrative sideline as a tv personality/house trained jock.

When you think of actual tangible achievements you can attribute to her though, what are they?

Even I've contributed more to society, and that's saying something.

So all going well Goldie and the Blurt and all other Scots unelected arselickers in the HOL might not have a cosy job for life.

Must've missed the first post which it true as far as it goes, but I agree with what Sandy  says if&when independence happens I reckon it'll be game up for the Scottish members.

26 minutes ago, btb said:

Must've missed the first post which it true as far as it goes, but I agree with what Sandy  says if&when independence happens I reckon it'll be game up for the Scottish members.

I would hope so. However, when the UK began breaking up in the 20s, I think the Irish peers remained and were just not replaced.

14 hours ago, btb said:

There's a whole swathe of  Scottish peers.

24 Labour,      15 Conservative,     10 Lib Dems        10 Crossbenchers   

And 11 hereditary peers living in Scotland

And have absolutely no doubt that these unelected leeches will fight tooth and nail against Scotland becoming Independent.

14 hours ago, Antlion said:

I would hope so. However, when the UK began breaking up in the 20s, I think the Irish peers remained and were just not replaced.

Interesting, I googled but could not find any definitive answer, it could come down to residency, for instance the Blurt taking formal residency in London could delay possible HOL expulsion, when I say expulsion my argument there is based on the social difference from Ireland in the 1920's and to Scotland nowadays with regards to social media, on gaining independence there will be a widespread severe backlash against Scots in political office in England generated in the Daily Mail type right wing conservative media which will accelerate on social media, england for the english will be the shout.