Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

Guy on the Airdrieonians site says that it's been reported on a St Mirren site that Andy Ryan has singed for them today. Could be bullshit but I've got a bad feeling !!!!

Edited by Nipper

Worried that Ryan's replacement is the big guy the club signed recently and has been playing for the under 20's. Cissoko Habib. 

I'd imagine he'll just be a back up striker (mckays replacement)

Ideally nobody DO, maybe I'm too optimistic!

But if it came to it I'd be looking at someone who's got at least a bit of a scoring record. Mackin, like you've said, can lift it to 10 a season but that's not getting us promoted. I also think he'd go back to Alloa before he'd move to us anyway having had a better time of it there and been there more recently.

If you're pushing for a name someone like Shaw from Hibs (who scored goals in a Stennie team that got relegated) would maybe be in the Ryan mould - though would obviously be a loan. If we're in the situation where Ryan has moved on though I'd imagine it would increase the first team budget for this season and if that's the case I'd be looking for permanent signings rather than loans. That's one policy where I think TW was spot on. Maybe Boyd who was on loan at the Rovers in the first half of last year?

In all honesty, if Ryan leaves we won't get a like for like replacement. We've not had a 20+ goal striker for years (from open play anyway) so we're daft if we think we're going to find another one - quite frankly our recruitment isn't good enough. I'd keep him at all costs.

If Habib was being considered as a first-team option for next season, would he not maybe have featured at least as a sub at some point to test him out?  Or could we not use trialists that late on in the season?  

With the rumours of various clubs chasing Andy Ryan what do you think would be a reasonable transfer bid for the club to accept? Personally I would hope we don't accept a paltry offer of less than 50k but knowing the people who run our club we will. 

20 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

With the rumours of various clubs chasing Andy Ryan what do you think would be a reasonable transfer bid for the club to accept? Personally I would hope we don't accept a paltry offer of less than 50k but knowing the people who run our club we will. 

If TW remains Chairman I cant see him letting Ryan go cheaply.

i have to say that I am becoming disgusted by the way the fans are being treated by the club. 9 days on from the end of our season and not a cheep on anything. I don't mind watching a team which plays a lot of rubbish but I'm, at this late stage of my supporting my team,  getting cheesed off by the contempt being shown to us by the club.

Edited by waysider

18 minutes ago, waysider said:

i have to say that I am becoming disgusted by the way the fans are being treated by the club. 9 days on from the end of our season and not a cheap on anything. I don't mind watching a team which plays a lot of rubbish but I'm, at this late stage of my supporting my team,  getting cheesed off by the contempt being shown to us by the club.

Can't see many clubs in the championship being able to afford 50k. Yes it's a bit strange that nothing has been put out by the club.You would think they would want the fans to stay connected but it's been going that way for a while.

Does anyone know what St Mirren got for Mallan ?

Edited by Nipper

20 hours ago, glenburn bud said:

One or two people supposedly in the know have said that we have made an offer for the boy Ryan and that the deal has a sell on clause. Nothing official mind you but I'm guessing that there might be an element of truth in the story.

Ryan wouldn't have scored any of his goals without the help of Kevin Schmidt and Jack McKay. You'd be much better off signing those two TBH

Whatever happens with Ryan, unless we get extremely lucky we are not replacing him with 1 player.   

If we are to replace his 20 goals we'd need to get a 10 goal midfielder (in place of Hutton - here comes a negative mark from copper),  a 10 goal winger (in place of Brown, and a 10-15 goal striker (possibly Mackin?).

This football game is easy.

St Mirren can afford him as they sold Mallan.

Worst thing we can do now is resign Hutton and Brown or we'll checkmate ourselves.

I wouldn't be surprised in the slightest if Kyle Hutton is one of our first signings.

The Ryan situation is disappointing, but not unexpected - I think had we been promoted we MAY have held onto him, but the lad is far too good to spend another season in League 1.

Waysider - I'm not too bothered about not hearing much as there won't be much to say at the minute, but something like this wouldn't have been the worst idea: http://www.airdriefc.com/news/2016/05/loanees

Hugh, Re a price for Ryan, the difference between 3rd/4th in our league and rock bottom of the league above is huge (https://stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/aberdeen/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/) and Ryan can be the difference between promotion and no promotion - so less than 100k wouldn't make sense to me if I was TW and going into year 2 of a 3 year plan.

DBM - nicely put - what I was trying to say but a bit clearer I think. Our whole recruitment takes a different turn if we lose Ryan. St Mirren taking in 200k is the worrying part for me, sooner they have their budget spent the better!

5 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

Waysider - I'm not too bothered about not hearing much as there won't be much to say at the minute, but something like this wouldn't have been the worst idea: http://www.airdriefc.com/news/2016/05/loanees

Hugh, Re a price for Ryan, the difference between 3rd/4th in our league and rock bottom of the league above is huge (https://stv.tv/sport/football/clubs/aberdeen/1331865-spfl-sides-to-share-record-21m-prize-money-payout-in-201516-season/) and Ryan can be the difference between promotion and no promotion - so less than 100k wouldn't make sense to me if I was TW and going into year 2 of a 3 year plan.

DBM - nicely put - what I was trying to say but a bit clearer I think. Our whole recruitment takes a different turn if we lose Ryan. St Mirren taking in 200k is the worrying part for me, sooner they have their budget spent the better!

Seems to me there is something to say- who owns the club? In my view in the long run more important than individual deals for players.

i have to say that I am becoming disgusted by the way the fans are being treated by the club. 9 days on from the end of our season and not a cheep on anything. I don't mind watching a team which plays a lot of rubbish but I'm, at this late stage of my supporting my team,  getting cheesed off by the contempt being shown to us by the club.

Our season is barely 1 week finished. Players, as well as staff, from almost every club will be thinking about their holidays and not contracts. Agents will be touting various players around clubs in any case. I for one am not feeling in any way that I'm being treated contemptuously by the club. I'll give it a few weeks before I start to worry about our squad.

23 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

100k is fanciful to say the least. Remember the level we're at here (and I include St Mirren in that). We recently sold Mallan and McAllister for a combined value that was a fraction of what we wanted as fans. 

Unfortunately though,  that's the environment we operate in. We had Mallan more or less robbed from us. The likelihood is that this will happen with Andy Ryan too. Be it to us or someone else. I'd imagine around 30k and a healthy sell on is realistic. 

In these days of undisclosed fees, you'll never get the truth, though. 

Edited by djchapsticks

7 minutes ago, Mybitchunderprotest said:

Our season is barely 1 week finished. Players, as well as staff, from almost every club will be thinking about their holidays and not contracts. Agents will be touting various players around clubs in any case. I for one am not feeling in any way that I'm being treated contemptuously by the club. I'll give it a few weeks before I start to worry about our squad.

On the other hand players are being released (which is a standard announcement at this time of year), new players signed and contract renewals offered. Plenty activity even in our league looking at Ayr and Stranraer for instance. 

Youre right though in that the majority of new signings generally won't be appearing until after players are back from holidays. 

45 minutes ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

I said 150k some people thought I was at the wind up but I'm not. Last season wasn't a one off Andy scored 9 goals 16 appearances for a team that got relegated the previous season. I wouldnt settle for 5 figure sum.

8 minutes ago, Cooper81 said:

I said 150k some people thought I was at the wind up but I'm not. Last season wasn't a one off Andy scored 9 goals 16 appearances for a team that got relegated the previous season. I wouldnt settle for 5 figure sum.

You are at the wind up.

No one in the championship would pay 150k for a league 1 player get a grip.