Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

6 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Is Ryan ready to step up a level and score a few in the Championship?

No, he's rubbish. Not worth taking a chance on him. Just leave him to score another 27 goals at Airdrie.

Well obviously we'd end up giving you f**k all in the pound. Just wondering as we're linked and I literally know nothing about the lad.

5 minutes ago, Stellaboz said:

Well obviously we'd end up giving you f**k all in the pound. Just wondering as we're linked and I literally know nothing about the lad.

I'd be surprised and delighted if he starts next season with us. He's been excellent and I genuinely think he'd do a job for any team in the Championship.

However, I doubt he'll be going to Dunfermline as we'll be looking at getting some hard cash for him. 

Andy Ryan would without doubt score for ANY Team in the championship, bar none.
I would go as far as to say he single handedly over the course of a season, won Airdrie a playoff place and I'd go as far as to say, also probably kept them up by taking the heat off a shambolic defence.
The boys class, and I'd rather he spent 1 more year at Airdrie to once again show his class, than be punted on for £50k, none of which will see the light of day in a playing budget, and if it does, it'll be Spunked on sub standard over paid, over the hill shite looking for 1 last pay check before riding off Into the retirement sunset.

Last summer I was really positive, new owner, new manager and full time set up, and a league that hardly looked like a difficult one to get out of.  I truly believe we blew our best chance to escape this league. This year I am genuinely concerned that we will not have the playing staff or a management team capable of keeping Airdrie in division one next season never mind get promotion.  It is going to be a more difficult league, Ayr and Raith will rightly be favourites to challenge for automatic promotion, Alloa have a good manager and structure to push those two all the way, Arbroath and Forfar will be stronger than the teams going down so I think we will be left scrapping with the rest to avoid the drop.  As I pointed out on another thread the league is very tight, Brechin went up having lost 16 games, we lost 16 and Peterhead went down having lost the same number (and having conceded fewer goals), get on a losing streak and we will be in trouble, if Ryan goes and the management team fail to bring in decent players (which I believe is more than likely) then we will be heading for disaster next season

Edited by Old Diamond

One or two people supposedly in the know have said that we have made an offer for the boy Ryan and that the deal has a sell on clause. Nothing official mind you but I'm guessing that there might be an element of truth in the story.

1 hour ago, Old Diamond said:

Last summer I was really positive, new owner, new manager and full time set up, and a league that hardly looked like a difficult one to get out of.  I truly believe we blew our best chance to escape this league. This year I am genuinely concerned that we will not have the playing staff or a management team capable of keeping Airdrie in division one next season never mind get promotion.  It is going to be a more difficult league, Ayr and Raith will rightly be favourites to challenge for automatic promotion, Alloa have a good manager and structure to push those two all the way, Arbroath and Forfar will be stronger than the teams going down so I think we will be left scrapping with the rest to avoid the drop.  As I pointed out on another thread the league is very tight, Brechin went up having lost 16 games, we lost 16 and Peterhead went down having lost the same number (and having conceded fewer goals), get on a losing streak and we will be in trouble, if Ryan goes and the management team fail to bring in decent players (which I believe is more than likely) then we will be heading for disaster next season

Pretty gloomy picture but I fear I agree with it. To me who is the owner is every bit as important as who is the manager. If the owner turns out to be someone with no money to spend  I fear the club will sink even lower. The deafening silence on everything is pretty grim and shows little respect for the fans. Even an announcement as to who is released would be better than nothing.

28 minutes ago, glenburn bud said:

One or two people supposedly in the know have said that we have made an offer for the boy Ryan and that the deal has a sell on clause. Nothing official mind you but I'm guessing that there might be an element of truth in the story.

100% yes, especially with the sell on clause bit. This what our chairman spoke about when he came to Airdrie.He constantly talked about Hamilton and how they had won the lottery using sell on clauses

22 minutes ago, Nipper said:

100% yes, especially with the sell on clause bit. This what our chairman spoke about when he came to Airdrie.He constantly talked about Hamilton and how they had won the lottery using sell on clauses

It's definitely a good thing for the transfer money to filter down the pyramid of leagues and benefit teams who have given their talented players a good platform.

We've only recently started to put these on the transfers of Kenny McLean John McGinn and Stevie Mallan. If and when they move on to bigger clubs we will benefit to the tune of 33% in John McGinn's case. 

Whoever does get the boy Ryan's signature I hope for your sake the Airdrie board do set up a decent sell on clause.

I'd expected something - not so much team news but something from TW or GD. Someone saying something. Season is over - what now after that flop?

Probably hear more about Elton John.....

Like clockwork...

3 hours ago, Diamond Oracle said:

We could do worse than having a look at some of the players released by Motherwell today. Some familiar names in there.

Mackin would be a solid first step towards replacing Ryan.   And Ferguson could bolster our depleted defence either at RWB or in a back 3.  Allow Stewart into midfield...

Mackin would be a solid first step towards replacing Ryan.   And Ferguson could bolster our depleted defence either at RWB or in a back 3.  Allow Stewart into midfield...

Yep, Mackin looked a much improved player when I saw him against us for Alloa. Don't think he'd score any more than 10 goals a season but was a real nuisance to us and good in the air.

Could take or leave Ferguson to be honest, did an okay job but not sure if he's any better than Higgins (albeit Higgins isn't fancied by the management).

Joe Chalmers is a player I'd like to see us sign at LWB, but he'll probably get a Championship club at least.

Think we're stuck with mcdonald at lb/lwb tbh.

That's the market we're in now.

I personally think Mackin would thrive with the better service we have now than this 1st time around and feel be's a goalscorer waiting to break out.

Mackin looked far better for Alloa than he did with us (though I thought he was hopeless for us), but he's more a replacement for McKay - i.e. a plan B -  for me. Ryan, Russell, Mackin and Thomson as our 4 strikers - I could live with that! But a replacement for Ryan? No chance.

Ferguson I could take or leave, didn't mind him when he was with us and would give us flexibility between him, Stewart (hopefully) and McIntosh covering right CB and RB between them - with Stewart a midfield option as mentioned. 

The other one that I wondered about was Samson. At 33 if he's looking for a transition into coaching could be an option as the competition/coach for Rohan. Though it'd be understandable if he's looking for regular 1st team football and in that case I'd pass.

Mackin looked far better for Alloa than he did with us (though I thought he was hopeless for us), but he's more a replacement for McKay - i.e. a plan B -  for me. Ryan, Russell, Mackin and Thomson as our 4 strikers - I could live with that! But a replacement for Ryan? No chance.

Who would you replace Ryan with?

Announcements etc about the club are usually timed with the day the Advertiser comes out, fingers crossed we'll hear something this week, even if it's just an acknowledgement that the season is over and plans are being put into place for next season. 

Mackin impressed me in the 2 play off games. He's good in the air and can hold the ball up. Would be a decent shout. Ferguson didn't impress me that much when he was here but he has played in Motherwell's first team since then. Could be good back up but I don't think he's any better than Stewart (if he stays) or McIntosh. 

Edited by Hugh Jarss

30 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Who would you replace Ryan with?

Worried that Ryan's replacement is the big guy the club signed recently and has been playing for the under 20's. Cissoko Habib. 

Edited by Nipper