Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

11 minutes ago, Hugh Jarss said:

I would have expected some sort of announcement regarding any players leaving the club as I assume the likes of Mensing, Boateng, Leitch, Stewart (not sure of others) contracts will run out at the weekend. 

Exactly. I said I might be being unfair (it's my perception after all) but you see Ayr offering contracts to all their out of contract players that they want to keep with the first signing already through the door - and one or two others being lined up. We've had radio silence (not literally obviously if Dalziel is still on super scoreboard). 

Edited by Airdrie76

I can't imagine Dalziel will be too involved in the recruitment side, as I doubt he has any real knowledge of footballers at this level. His last job in football was 20 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the only thing Dalziel will have any meaningful contribution to is the day to day training.

I suspect recruitment will be lead by Wilson and the assistant manager (whatever his name is again).

ETA: Which is a real fucking worry btw.

Why would we get any info for fans when Ayatollah-Marie Bentleytine runs the club?  They f'kn hate us with a passion,  we are the shit on their shoes.  

Thankfully not that many of us have green cars or they'd have folded the club years ago, so credit for that.

Why would we get any info for fans when Ayatollah-Marie Bentleytine runs the club?  They f'kn hate us with a passion,  we are the shit on their shoes.  
Thankfully not that many of us have green cars or they'd have folded the club years ago, so credit for that.

The fact that the Ballantines continue to run the show while throwing someone else's money around is an utter joke in itself.

55 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

The fact that the Ballantines continue to run the show while throwing someone else's money around is an utter joke in itself.

They own 50% of the club and have to pick up the pieces when others spit the dummy.   

She manages the club admin  on a paid consultancy basis.  In fairness she seems very good at it too. Last year that spineless Scumbag journalist piece of shit who had a fancy title way beyond his abilities took the absolute piss out of her to do his dirty work.     

Just a pity they are so tight, mean and selfish but, hey ho.

They own 50% of the club and have to pick up the pieces when others spit the dummy.   
She manages the club admin  on a paid consultancy basis.  In fairness she seems very good at it too. Last year that spineless Scumbag journalist piece of shit who had a fancy title way beyond his abilities took the absolute piss out of her to do his dirty work.     
Just a pity they are so tight, mean and selfish but, hey ho.

So from your point of view - should they still be running things?

From the outside it looks like TW has just said - I'm fed-up, crack on and we're back to where we were.

I can't imagine Dalziel will be too involved in the recruitment side, as I doubt he has any real knowledge of footballers at this level. His last job in football was 20 years ago.

I'm pretty sure the only thing Dalziel will have any meaningful contribution to is the day to day training.

I suspect recruitment will be lead by Wilson and the assistant manager (whatever his name is again).

ETA: Which is a real fucking worry btw.

I posted a while back (when asked what his role as DOF was) that Wilson goes to him if he wants a player. Dalziel checks the budget and sees who's available and what they can do. He never mentioned if he has a say in the actual player selection.

37 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

So from your point of view - should they still be running things?

From the outside it looks like TW has just said - I'm fed-up, crack on and we're back to where we were.

AMB is paid Secretary so yes.    As half owners it seems they took control after the EWB debacle.

Technically they have every right to be in control.  It's their business.

Do I want them in control?

Perhaps I'm too relaxed on this, but if the manager and DoF decide now's the time to take a holiday, then so be it. 

Since we appear to be stuck with them, I'd rather they came back, invigorated, energized and with a long preseason to assemble and prepare a title challenging team.

Just as many players will take their time before deciding their next move as will jump at the first contract handed to them. The season isn't even over and he's gone on holiday.....which means he has the full summer and no excuses (bar us pesky fans) next year.

No excuses next season.

(Warning: this post clearly shows the danger of messing with drugs - Just Say No, kids)

1 hour ago, Kennboy1978 said:

I posted a while back (when asked what his role as DOF was) that Wilson goes to him if he wants a player. Dalziel checks the budget and sees who's available and what they can do. He never mentioned if he has a say in the actual player selection.

I heard at the time that Dalziel set up the Hutton deal. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but we've made a lot worse signings.

Was told today that although TW is still majority shareholder and will continue to be so next season, he has taken a back seat, effectively leaving the Ballantyne's to run the club.

Apparently Dalziel and Wilson were only on expenses last season. Next season, Dalziel will continue to be paid expenses but Wilson will be paid a basic wage.

There won't be any players offered more than a 1 year deal. This ties in with the expiration of the contracts of the players signed currently. This will allow the club to revert back to part-time for season 18/19 if need be.

18 minutes ago, waysider said:

I heard at the time that Dalziel set up the Hutton deal. He wasn't everyone's cup of tea but we've made a lot worse signings.

You're kidding.   He was utter shite.  He was also an energy sapper on the park with a horrid attitude.

In my opinion, which is obviously wrong, he was ok . Couldn't shoot but good at breaking up the play. In my opinion, again which is obviously wrong, he was the best player on the park in the first play off game.

In my opinion, again wrong, he was a better signing than Schmidt, Bo, Mackay, Leitch, Mensing, Scullion and possibly MacDonald.

Edited by waysider

1 hour ago, AFC1878 said:

Was told today that although TW is still majority shareholder and will continue to be so next season, he has taken a back seat, effectively leaving the Ballantyne's to run the club.

Apparently Dalziel and Wilson were only on expenses last season. Next season, Dalziel will continue to be paid expenses but Wilson will be paid a basic wage.

There won't be any players offered more than a 1 year deal. This ties in with the expiration of the contracts of the players signed currently. This will allow the club to revert back to part-time for season 18/19 if need be.

I appreciate that this is only yet another rumour, but, if true, it's a step back towards the bad old days.

53 minutes ago, waysider said:

In my opinion, which is obviously wrong, he was ok . Couldn't shoot but good at breaking up the play. In my opinion, again which is obviously wrong, he was the best player on the park in the first play off game.

You saw his contribution to Alloa's goal in the 2nd?   

One of the papers today linking us with Andy Ryan. I'm guessing he's pretty handy given the number of goals he scored last season? Give him to us and you can keep Hutton ;)

4 minutes ago, Stu said:

One of the papers today linking us with Andy Ryan. I'm guessing he's pretty handy given the number of goals he scored last season? Give him to us and you can keep Hutton ;)

Andy Ryan scored about 21 goals from open play in our league.   That'll relate to around a dozen in the championship though Ryan has time to improve and could better that.   Given your top league scorer had around 7 this season I could see why youd want him.  And I'm sure Ryan would want out of this ghost town.

Hutton you can keep though.   You know he's rotten,  absolute joke

2 hours ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

Andy Ryan scored about 21 goals from open play in our league.   That'll relate to around a dozen in the championship though Ryan has time to improve and could better that.   Given your top league scorer had around 7 this season I could see why youd want him.  And I'm sure Ryan would want out of this ghost town.

Hutton you can keep though.   You know he's rotten,  absolute joke

I thought Hutton had done a decent job for you? Got in team of the week a few times.

19 hours ago, AFC1878 said:

Was told last night he had sold his shares and all players/staff etc were told this at a meeting before end of season games but still no one knows to whom etc or what that means for the Ballantynes role in club. Rumours abound. I will need my summer holiday to revisit the impending developments, so I suppose does MW (But not GD)