Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

I wouldnt be expecting much business from Airdrie for a few weeks.
Apart from last year when we had a f**king numpty throwing money around like a drunken sailor, our plan usually is to wait till panic sets in amongst those still unsigned.

I was looking back and we starting signing up players about this time last year believe it or not...

As much as I'd like us to go out and sign the players the management team want and start pre-season with a full squad, our finances dictate that we'll be hanging on for guys holding out for better offers.

7 minutes ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I was looking back and we starting signing up players about this time last year believe it or not...

As much as I'd like us to go out and sign the players the management team want and start pre-season with a full squad, our finances dictate that we'll be hanging on for guys holding out for better offers.

I think that's what I said DO,  we look to be back in Bentleytine mode now.

They work on the supply and demand law that says:  when demand is high price is high, when demand is low price is low.    They will wait till the free agents are out of offers and take what's left on their low market offers.

15 hours ago, Pesadilla said:

And on the same note, we now know the core of players (who in my opinion, only one is really good enough to step up a level) and, if everyone is correct, the management team. So, what will the club do to try and sell season tickets. Ayr are FT with a better core of FT players, Raith too. Alloa or Brechin will again threaten, perhaps East Fife too.

Seems like the three year plan is a bit up in the air. 

I for one, will pick and choose my games next year. Blind loyalty never paid off in terms of entertainment or financially this year. I'll not be taken for a mug again.

What will they do? Not a clue. Probably hee haw until mid-August!

What should they do? Punt Dalziel, replace with a #2 for Wilson. Re-sign YPOTY Stewart. Replace the other out of contract players and loanees with half a dozen genuine first team players capable of having a real go of winning the league. Depending on the playoff result we could be facing Alloa again next year and Ayr+Raith who will both be full time - the upside to this is that there's more chance of these teams taking points off of each other rather than one team running away with it like Livi did. 

Don't know if it'll happen, but the continuation of the Trust's free season tickets for U16's would make a wee difference to adult sales as well I'd have thought.

I see Callum Fordyce has been released by Dunfermline. I'm sure he was pretty highly rated before getting injured.

Would be just the type of signing we need.

6 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:
6 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

Bentleytyne mode - doing the same old shite and expecting different results. Couldn't agree with you more.

This could well be the case but if it is Dalziel/Wilson in theory it should be easier this year. Last year we had the transition from part to full time and King mucking everyone about. This year we already have a nucleus of players under contract and surely management will have some idea of where our weaknesses lie. That's the theory anyway, but---

What will they do? Not a clue. Probably hee haw until mid-August!
What should they do? Punt Dalziel, replace with a #2 for Wilson. Re-sign YPOTY Stewart. Replace the other out of contract players and loanees with half a dozen genuine first team players capable of having a real go of winning the league. Depending on the playoff result we could be facing Alloa again next year and Ayr+Raith who will both be full time - the upside to this is that there's more chance of these teams taking points off of each other rather than one team running away with it like Livi did. 
Don't know if it'll happen, but the continuation of the Trust's free season tickets for U16's would make a wee difference to adult sales as well I'd have thought.

Everyone else has their season tickets on sale, is on the other hand

I'd expected something - not so much team news but something from TW or GD. Someone saying something. Season is over - what now after that flop?

Probably hear more about Elton John.....

8 minutes ago, She who dares gins said:

I'd expected something - not so much team news but something from TW or GD. Someone saying something. Season is over - what now after that flop?

Probably hear more about Elton John.....

Yes, given the persistent rumours it would be nice to get some clarification on the ownership position.

2 hours ago, waysider said:

Yes, given the persistent rumours it would be nice to get some clarification on the ownership position.

Tbf there's likely nothing to clarify. The guy can't go about releasing statements every time there's a rumour on the internet, unless he wants to replicate the comedy show that is The Rangers PR team.

The rumour goes a lot further than the internet. I personally am not "in the know" but a number of people who I would consider are "in the know" have told me has sold out. I don't want to believe it but I believe that one way or another an announcement on this occasion is justified.

Edited by waysider

4 minutes ago, waysider said:

The rumour goes a lot further than the internet. I personally am not "in the know" but a number of people who I would consider are "in the know" have told me has sold out. I don't want to believe it but I believe that one way or another an announcement on this occasion is justified.

What does "a lot further than the internet" mean?

I told you. People whom I have spoken to who I consider are in a position to know what they are talking about.

3 hours ago, waysider said:

I told you. People whom I have spoken to who I consider are in a position to know what they are talking about.

Like yourself it's the people who told me that made me believe there was something going on, however I would have expected something to have been announced by now and I wouldn't have expected the manager and director of football to be talking as if they were going to be in position next season.

Like yourself it's the people who told me that made me believe there was something going on, however I would have expected something to have been announced by now and I wouldn't have expected the manager and director of football to be talking as if they were going to be in position next season.

Dalziel had been talking about Wilson being in charge next season a few months back on radio Clyde.

It's disappointing that the club never announced what Wilson's contract situation was. But coming into the club when he did, his only task would have been get us to the playoffs by hook or by crook. He did sadly it didn't work out. So technically he fulfilled his side of the bargain. But again down to the poor communication from the club were all left in limbo.

As for the tw rumours, if the rumours were true they would surely have progressed by now to an extent we would no who was possibly buying tw shares.

Wilson and Dalziel are off on their holidays just now until the end of the month (although what Dalziel's off from I have no idea). Of course leaving the other full - time sides in the league to sign the pick of the bunch...

19 minutes ago, airdrieman said:

Wilson and Dalziel are off on their holidays just now until the end of the month (although what Dalziel's off from I have no idea). Of course leaving the other full - time sides in the league to sign the pick of the bunch...

I have an issue with this. It's not as if the clowns would have had it booked in given its the play off final this weekend (actually don't rule that out). Yet they've just decided to fvck off at a time they should be releasing players, offering new contracts, talking to other potential signings, confirming plans etc.

Maybe it's all in hand and I'm being unfair. They just seem completely incompetent though. 

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

I have an issue with this. It's not as if the clowns would have had it booked in given its the play off final this weekend (actually don't rule that out). Yet they've just decided to fvck off at a time they should be releasing players, offering new contracts, talking to other potential signings, confirming plans etc.

Maybe it's all in hand and I'm being unfair. They just seem completely incompetent though. 

One on holiday at a time is surely the sensible move? Having a head coach and director of football at our level is a bit of a luxury at this level anyway, at least make the most of it at this important time of the year. GD could've gone before the season ended or once next season has started (given he doesn't attend anyway) and MW could have been away later and back for pre-season.

Amateur hour once again. 

3 hours ago, carlukediamond said:

But coming into the club when he did, his only task would have been get us to the playoffs by hook or by crook. He did sadly it didn't work out. So technically he fulfilled his side of the bargain.

That's the thing about assessing performance goals.  It's not just about whether they were achieved, it's about the manner in which they were approached.  It's necessary to look at both.

7 hours ago, Airdrie76 said:

They haven't "fucked off",  everyone needs time off.

However, like many others, I'm astounded they're still in situ.

Wtf is the club thinking.    Dalziel's review was a disaster, measured by every metric possible.   

Wilson's abilities are not clear at all.   The team were visibly and statistically worse under his command.  I've posted repeated examples of terrible disorganisation that's never been rectified.

I cannot see where "having his own players" is in any way relevant.

Edited by DestroyedByMadness

Dalziel was on the radio spouting his usual clueless p!sh last night so unless he left this morning he's not on holiday. He did say Wilson was away though. It looks like we are stuck with them for the foreseeable future.

I would have expected some sort of announcement regarding any players leaving the club as I assume the likes of Mensing, Boateng, Leitch, Stewart (not sure of others) contracts will run out at the weekend.