Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

Coming to the conclusion that Dalziel/ Wilson will remain unless ownership has changed. A bit of a lose/ lose situation. Although Mensing did improve towards the end we have to be looking to do better than him. I thought Hutton had some very good games (I.e. The first leg of the play offs) although he did have some shockers too. Anyway, if he's released he'll probably be out of our price range.

I think whether we like it or not, Wilson will start next season as our manager.

While he wouldn't be my first choice, I'm willing to give him a summer to build his own side.

I think if we're not within touching distance of the top of the league around Christmas time, he should get the bullet. No excuses this time round.

Also, absolutely disastrous that both Raith Rovers and Ayr have announced they will be full time next season.

Will be even more difficult to win the league than it was this season.

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

Also, absolutely disastrous that both Raith Rovers and Ayr have announced they will be full time next season.

Will be even more difficult to win the league than it was this season.

It's not great that's for sure although it'll obviously depend on who they keep/sign. Raith's "working to achieve full time football" statement doesn't sound like they'll be throwing money at it, far from it. Ian McCall however seems a lot more convincing in the interview he's done. Whether either will be as 'good' as Livi were remains to be seen.

Interesting McCall talks up the benefits of going full time and seems excited by the opportunities it gives while ours is on record as saying there isn't much difference between it and part time... We could really do with getting rid of those muppets asap and getting an experienced manager in ASAP. We can't be as disorganised as we were last summer or we're aiming for play offs at best from the off.

Edited by Airdrie76

1 hour ago, Airdrie76 said:

It's not great that's for sure although it'll obviously depend on who they keep/sign. Raith's "working to achieve full time football" statement doesn't sound like they'll be throwing money at it, far from it. Ian McCall however seems a lot more convincing in the interview he's done. Whether either will be as 'good' as Livi were remains to be seen.

Interesting McCall talks up the benefits of going full time and seems excited by the opportunities it gives while ours is on record as saying there isn't much difference between it and part time... We could really do with getting rid of those muppets asap and getting an experienced manager in ASAP. We can't be as disorganised as we were last summer or we're aiming for play offs at best from the off.

I guess they both have the benefit of owning their own stadiums and therefore being able to bring in additional revenue through means that we can't.

I think Raith Rovers will probably have a decent spine of a squad already signed up. And I'd be confident of Ian McCall recruiting well.

1 hour ago, Diamond Oracle said:

I guess they both have the benefit of owning their own stadiums and therefore being able to bring in additional revenue through means that we can't.

I think Raith Rovers will probably have a decent spine of a squad already signed up. And I'd be confident of Ian McCall recruiting well.

Not exactly sure what additional revenue Ayr could harness from that dump. They've also all the utilities etc to pay, I'm not sure it's as big a cash generator as you're making out.

On another note, for me, it's unbelievable that there's an acceptance of Wilson/Dalziel starting next season at the helm. It's a fucking outrage. People are being lost in the hype of the last two games and how "unlucky" we were. We weren't unlucky. We'd 30-odd games to prove we were a decent team, is it any surprise that a club that finished well ahead of us pap's us out the play off? Wilson has had half a season, from which he's managed to take us from 7 points behind Livvy to 30. Dalziel has had half a season to turn up to a game......

Something fairly major needs to happen or they're going to find it very, very difficult to lever £260 out of folks pockets........

Our full time model is based on having a core of youngsters, I wonder if this is the route both Raith and Ayr will go down or if they will rely on mostly experienced, seasoned pros.

Raith's U20s who were full-time last season won the development league east so maybe they see it as natural progression and are planning to bring those guys through.

I can't imagine Ayr would have sufficient funds to assemble a full-time team of experienced pros so would imagine they'll have to go with youth to an extent as well.

6 minutes ago, AFC1878 said:

Our full time model is based on having a core of youngsters, I wonder if this is the route both Raith and Ayr will go down or if they will rely on mostly experienced, seasoned pros.

Raith's U20s who were full-time last season won the development league east so maybe they see it as natural progression and are planning to bring those guys through.

I can't imagine Ayr would have sufficient funds to assemble a full-time team of experienced pros so would imagine they'll have to go with youth to an extent as well.

There were 6 full time players for most of the season, the rest were amateurs or players from the FEFA academy.

36 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

Not exactly sure what additional revenue Ayr could harness from that dump. They've also all the utilities etc to pay, I'm not sure it's as big a cash generator as you're making out.

On another note, for me, it's unbelievable that there's an acceptance of Wilson/Dalziel starting next season at the helm. It's a fucking outrage. People are being lost in the hype of the last two games and how "unlucky" we were. We weren't unlucky. We'd 30-odd games to prove we were a decent team, is it any surprise that a club that finished well ahead of us pap's us out the play off? Wilson has had half a season, from which he's managed to take us from 7 points behind Livvy to 30. Dalziel has had half a season to turn up to a game......

Something fairly major needs to happen or they're going to find it very, very difficult to lever £260 out of folks pockets........

Although returns from food is a necessity  Don't think it's so much that owning stadium is an income generator it's fact that we have to hire out ours on match day. 

8 hours ago, waysider said:

Coming to the conclusion that Dalziel/ Wilson will remain unless ownership has changed. A bit of a lose/ lose situation. Although Mensing did improve towards the end we have to be looking to do better than him. I thought Hutton had some very good games (I.e. The first leg of the play offs) although he did have some shockers too. Anyway, if he's released he'll probably be out of our price range.

Mensing had two very good performances (away to East Fife and at home to Alloa) and both were games where the opposition didn't really do a lot in the way of attacking.  He did well heading crosses clear in those games, but that was all he really had to do.   I don't think it was so much a case of him improving as him having good games (which I don't begrudge saying, they were good games) when the opposition's tactics suited him.  
He'll also be 35 by the time the season starts, and nearly 36 by the time it ends.

I never thought he was more than a stop-gap signing to the end of the season anyway, and I certainly hope he's not kept on.  Thanks and goodbye, we'll need a much better defence to win the league or playoffs than the kind of defence built on him. 

Edited by Tulloch Gorum

On the topic of stadium ownership vs renting to compare budgets with Ayr and Raith I don't think its hugely relevant for us at this stage. Club and stadium under the same owner would be ideal but ultimately our budget this season should be much the same (if not slightly better) than last years. The issue for us is an inability to use the budget we have well - it's the recruitment on our existing budget that will determine how we get on next season.

3 hours ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

On the topic of stadium ownership vs renting to compare budgets with Ayr and Raith I don't think its hugely relevant for us at this stage. Club and stadium under the same owner would be ideal but ultimately our budget this season should be much the same (if not slightly better) than last years. The issue for us is an inability to use the budget we have well - it's the recruitment on our existing budget that will determine how we get on next season.

And on the same note, we now know the core of players (who in my opinion, only one is really good enough to step up a level) and, if everyone is correct, the management team. So, what will the club do to try and sell season tickets. Ayr are FT with a better core of FT players, Raith too. Alloa or Brechin will again threaten, perhaps East Fife too.

Seems like the three year plan is a bit up in the air. 

I for one, will pick and choose my games next year. Blind loyalty never paid off in terms of entertainment or financially this year. I'll not be taken for a mug again.

16 minutes ago, Pesadilla said:

And on the same note, we now know the core of players (who in my opinion, only one is really good enough to step up a level) and, if everyone is correct, the management team. So, what will the club do to try and sell season tickets. Ayr are FT with a better core of FT players, Raith too. Alloa or Brechin will again threaten, perhaps East Fife too.

Agree with this - could be the lottery of the play offs again. Although Ayr only have 5 players under contract for next season at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if they have the same difficulty in getting players to go full time as we did. I doubt it!

And McCall sounds like he's in talks with potential new signings already. Our management team will probably have to finish their radio duties for the season first. Muppets. 

2 minutes ago, Airdrie76 said:

Agree with this - could be the lottery of the play offs again. Although Ayr only have 5 players under contract for next season at the moment. It'll be interesting to see if they have the same difficulty in getting players to go full time as we did. I doubt it!

And McCall sounds like he's in talks with potential new signings already. Our management team will probably have to finish their radio duties for the season first. Muppets. 

McCall always talks things up, he does it everywhere he goes but that only takes you so far.

Couldn't stop laughing last night when it was announced on Clyde that Mark Wilson wouldn't be on the show on Thursday as he was on a well earned break.

3 hours ago, Nipper said:

McCall always talks things up, he does it everywhere he goes but that only takes you so far.

Couldn't stop laughing last night when it was announced on Clyde that Mark Wilson wouldn't be on the show on Thursday as he was on a well earned break.

But the thursday before our biggest game of the season.The 2nd play off game he was on the radio.

I wouldnt be expecting much business from Airdrie for a few weeks.

Apart from last year when we had a f**king numpty throwing money around like a drunken sailor, our plan usually is to wait till panic sets in amongst those still unsigned.

Just read comments by Wilson in the Advertiser and there's no doubt that he's expecting to be here next season. Hope that doesn't include his pal but I doubt it.