Sign in to follow this  
The Chlamydia Kid

Airdrieonians off season thread 2017

1 hour ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

yeah Raith just signed 2 dross strikers that scored 53 goals between them last season.

i know that there is a really low threshold for quality posting on  here but that one of yours is incredibly dumb 

To be fair to CarlukeDiamond, it's not a bad point really. I'd rather wait for a few decent signings than waste whatever resources we have on players that're bang average or that aren't what we need.

Spence and Buchanan are good strikers for this league, and they'll be a strong strikeforce for Raith I'd have thought - but as things stand we don't need another striker. We've got 2 20+ scorers from last season (I know many of Russells were penalties). We need more goals from midfield and a tighter defence. And to keep Andy Ryan. :wub:

1 hour ago, TheBuckfastTriangle said:

To be fair to CarlukeDiamond, it's not a bad point really. I'd rather wait for a few decent signings than waste whatever resources we have on players that're bang average or that aren't what we need.

Spence and Buchanan are good strikers for this league, and they'll be a strong strikeforce for Raith I'd have thought - but as things stand we don't need another striker. We've got 2 20+ scorers from last season (I know many of Russells were penalties). We need more goals from midfield and a tighter defence. And to keep Andy Ryan. :wub:

We need back-up, though.  What do we do when one of Ryan or Russell is injured, or suspended, or isn't able to repeat the form they had last season?  You remember the game at Livingston around Christmas last year, right?  We could still be playing that game now and not have scored.  

Are Airdrie fans worried that a team from the leagues above might take a punt and pay a fee for Ryan? Falkirk have been quite good in the past for adding to their team by paying fees for players who have potential like Hippolyte and Austin. 

52 minutes ago, Tulloch Gorum said:

We need back-up, though.  What do we do when one of Ryan or Russell is injured, or suspended, or isn't able to repeat the form they had last season?  You remember the game at Livingston around Christmas last year, right?  We could still be playing that game now and not have scored.  

Spence and Buchanan type players won't join Airdrie to be backup. As things stand I reckon they'll be hoping Thomson can break through to some extent and and we'll add a low wage or loan striker from somewhere like Schmidt or McKay (though hopefully of a better quality). 

In the playoffs we essentially had 13 first team players - and I'm being generous including Boateng given he hadn't featured for months before that last game. Of those we've lost 3 (Hutton, Mensing, Bo), could lose another 3 (Stewart, Leitch, Brown) and may gain Fitzpatrick fitness permitting. That leaves us between 2 and 5 players short of a squad that most agreed was too thin and lacked quality and depth.

Even allowing for re-signing Stewart and one of Leitch/Brown (wouldn't keep both, personally) I'd say we're short of a commanding CB and and of quality in the middle of the park. Could probably use a bit more width in midfield too. All more important than a striker at the present time. 

I appreciate your point about the Livi game, but I'd sooner have a good team for 35 games and a rubbish team for 1 than a bang average team for 36.

I'd also say it's kind of easier to take a chance on a striker and get lucky. Buchanan for us was rank rotten but shone last year for Livi, whereas Allan Russell who was mentioned on here the other day was immense for us and pretty average everywhere else. If we get an upgrade on McKay/Schmidt who chips in with around half a dozen goals as a sub and when Ryan is off form or out then that'll do me.

Being an Airdrie supporter at this time is awful. We don't know who the manager will be and we have no idea whether there is going to be enough money to pay the players we've got. We don't know if we're going to be able to sign any more players.  I still worry about our continuing existence. It's interesting that there is no news on the players from last year who have been offered deals. Either the deals offered have been put on hold or they are so unattractive that the players don't want them.

Why are things always so frustrating for us?

It's been nothing but decline, disappointment and depression since we reformed and the rot started before.

The move to Cumbernauld killed a generation of fans, the new stadium killed us- we have been destroyed by SFL/SPL rules that were never needed and an over reaction to the Taylor report. We should be due millions in compensation- all we did was show ambition.

The main thing for me is the usually complete turn over of players which occurs every close season. It takes people till about Christmas before they get to grips with who actually plays for us. Then by the time you start to get to know anyone or get any affinity towards them it's the end of the season and they're away again.

The constant negativity amongst fans regarding owners is absolutely draining- but it is often justified with the direction- or lack of it- from the top. We more and more have been ignored and dismissed by the club as irrelevant- instead of appreciated as the only thing keeping it going.

The happy clapping, see no evil, speak no evil strand are just as irritating. They are divisive as their assumed moral piety and superiority in their approach to supporting the club continues to rub folk up the wrong way. They alienate fans by walking around as if they are the true guardians of the club. They never ever take responsibility for their role in alienating others though- like a strand of a certain political party- everyone else is at fault and if only we all seen the world like them, then our problems would be solved! This attitude and unquestioning acceptance of pish drives us down.

The cosy relationships some fans have with players clouds their opinions of them. It makes them overly protective of them and nobody else is allowed to say anything negative about them.

There is just so much crap associated with supporting airdrie now- rulers of the club that don't like fans, or are liars. Fan group divided. No players at the club long enough to become characters. A fall in performance and expectation that is continually declining and if we are honest- is never going to get anywhere near what any of us want again.

It's a lost cause.

2 hours ago, The Chlamydia Kid said:

It's been nothing but decline, disappointment and depression since we reformed and the rot started before.

The move to Cumbernauld killed a generation of fans, the new stadium killed us- we have been destroyed by SFL/SPL rules that were never needed and an over reaction to the Taylor report. We should be due millions in compensation- all we did was show ambition.

The main thing for me is the usually complete turn over of players which occurs every close season. It takes people till about Christmas before they get to grips with who actually plays for us. Then by the time you start to get to know anyone or get any affinity towards them it's the end of the season and they're away again.

The constant negativity amongst fans regarding owners is absolutely draining- but it is often justified with the direction- or lack of it- from the top. We more and more have been ignored and dismissed by the club as irrelevant- instead of appreciated as the only thing keeping it going.

The happy clapping, see no evil, speak no evil strand are just as irritating. They are divisive as their assumed moral piety and superiority in their approach to supporting the club continues to rub folk up the wrong way. They alienate fans by walking around as if they are the true guardians of the club. They never ever take responsibility for their role in alienating others though- like a strand of a certain political party- everyone else is at fault and if only we all seen the world like them, then our problems would be solved! This attitude and unquestioning acceptance of pish drives us down.

The cosy relationships some fans have with players clouds their opinions of them. It makes them overly protective of them and nobody else is allowed to say anything negative about them.

There is just so much crap associated with supporting airdrie now- rulers of the club that don't like fans, or are liars. Fan group divided. No players at the club long enough to become characters. A fall in performance and expectation that is continually declining and if we are honest- is never going to get anywhere near what any of us want again.

It's a lost cause.

The team Sandy Stewart put together in the mid 2000s was pretty decent and on a par with many that went before.   The crowds at that peak were decent too.

But since Ballantyne spat his dummy in 06 it has been terminal.   

Personally I think it's quickly retrievable and should have happened already under TW.    Can't believe the incredible f**k ups he made in that short journey though.  

On the field resurrection should not be as difficult as it is for now.   After all we grew up with despicable directors in the past...  Peat, Craig, Davidson, the Smiths, young Dalziel, etc., all had their moments but we lived our club back then.

7 minutes ago, DestroyedByMadness said:

The team Sandy Stewart put together in the mid 2000s was pretty decent and on a par with many that went before.   The crowds at that peak were decent too.

Personally I think it's quickly retrievable and should have happened already under TW.    Can't believe the incredible f**k ups he made in that short journey though.  

On the field resurrection should not be as difficult as it is for now.   After all we grew up with despicable directors in the past...  Peat, Craig, Davidson, the Smiths, young Dalziel, etc., all had their moments but we lived our club back then.

I wish I could share your view that it is quickly retrievable. If TW has withdrawn funding we're stuffed. I can't see anyone else being daft enough to put money in and the Ballantynes can't or won't put any more in. If we are to survive on gate money less rent we won't last long.

Please don't give me a rant. Now is not the time for supporters to be insulting each other.

2 hours ago, waysider said:

I wish I could share your view that it is quickly retrievable. If TW has withdrawn funding we're stuffed. I can't see anyone else being daft enough to put money in and the Ballantynes can't or won't put any more in. If we are to survive on gate money less rent we won't last long.

Please don't give me a rant. Now is not the time for supporters to be insulting each other.

T W hasn't withdrawn funding and won't as long as he is the majority shareholder.

Do we know that for certain? There hasn't been a club statement about it. Reading between the lines I think that TW is only majority shareholder because he can't find anyone daft enough to buy his shares. I also wonder why he would continue to fund if he's wanting out.

All it needs is a bit of ambition and not settling for "We're a league 1 Team"(which we are clearly not) and the fans will slowly but surely return

9 minutes ago, Redandwhitearmy78 said:

All it needs is a bit of ambition and not settling for "We're a league 1 Team"(which we are clearly not) and the fans will slowly but surely return

TW had ambition.

2 hours ago, Afc01 said:

King, black, mcbride, dalziel. 

There's a difference between ambition and judgment. He made us a full time team and genuinely wanted us to get into a higher league. His judgment was terrible.

8 hours ago, waysider said:

Do we know that for certain? There hasn't been a club statement about it. Reading between the lines I think that TW is only majority shareholder because he can't find anyone daft enough to buy his shares. I also wonder why he would continue to fund if he's wanting out.

A club statement, really? What did the last club statement say?

Prefer to go with the report our commercial manager posted last week after his meeting with T W.

Why would he continue to fund the club? 

Well if he didn't the value of his company's investment would be devalued and the chances of him being able to recoup any of it would be greatly reduced.

25 minutes ago, Nipper said:

A club statement, really? What did the last club statement say?

Prefer to go with the report our commercial manager posted last week after his meeting with T W.

Why would he continue to fund the club? 

Well if he didn't the value of his company's investment would be devalued and the chances of him being able to recoup any of it would be greatly reduced.

Nipper, despite people trying to help me I never did find Dougie's post. What did it say?

4 hours ago, waysider said:

Nipper, despite people trying to help me I never did find Dougie's post. What did it say?

The funding is not being withdrawn. Basically nothing has changed except he's handing over the day to day decision making to the Ballantynes. Can't understand what all fuss is about or the abuse. 

He needs to spend more time on his business so he can fund the club and because of this it was taking too long to come back to the club with decisions. Ultimately he wants to make the club self sustainable ( which he has always stated ) Think we're back to the Hamilton model with transfers and sell ons.

Dougie asked T W if he would sell the club, his reply was probably but he's in no hurry to do so and if he did it wouldn't be to just any Tom, Dick or Harry,  it would have to be to someone that would benefit Airdrie.

T W hoped the fans would continue to support all the great things that are happening at the club.

I hope thats a fair summary.

Forgot to mention that J B is on holiday for 9 days.

Edited by Nipper