Sign in to follow this  
Steve McQueen

St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

9 minutes ago, tree house tam said:

It'll all be forgotten about when we pump* these fuckers over there. 

* we'll win but go out.

You can just sense the impending penalty shoot out failure.

I think a lot of us were guilty of underestimating this team, which you simply can't do in these qualifiers. Pre game Tommy was banging on about how 1 bad half of football can cost you the tie, and how he's actually experienced it in this very competition in the Trnava match. Makes the first half performance even more difficult to take. They were technically decent, they knocked the ball about comfortably enough but I don't think I can remember seeing a team pass the ball straight out of play more than Trakai last night. 

We created a lot of chances and should have really scored at least 2 or 3, there's no way we should be in the position we are in chasing the tie going into next week's game. Their front 2 were as good a front pairing as anyone outside of Celtic. We struggled to deal with the big lad, and the number 11 Dorley was taking the piss. But they didn't create much. It was more our own ineptitude than their attacking prowess which was scaring me last night.

I think we can go over there and get a result. Yes it's a huge ask on the plastic pitch, yes we've just been humbled by them at home but cut out the mistakes and actually take our chances and we will be in with a shout of going through.

You're spot on. The amount of errors they made and yet still won. I was sceptical pre game about Millar playing last night but he was head and shoulders above Paton. Scougall and Kane to come in for me and potentially Millar/Muzz(if fit). Still all to play for

Another season, another hilarious thread of St Johnstone fans making out they've been taken to the cleaners by some great, undiscovered European powerhouse.
It will never get old.

Nobodies said that. People are saying Trakai were better on the ball, quicker, and fitter than us. You should compare their central midfielders to Paton and Craig, it's embarrassing. Craig missed an open goal from six yards because he couldn't control a simple volley with his weak foot FFS

actually take our chances and we will be in with a shout of going through.

I've seen a few people mention this, and constantly wonder who it is they expect to suddenly become a clinical goalscorer

They were technically decent, they knocked the ball about comfortably enough but I don't think I can remember seeing a team pass the ball straight out of play more than Trakai last night. 

Absolutely this. I actually wondered if this is the reason we were so happy to sit off them-if the management team had identified that as an issue and figured that as long as we let them just knock it about they'd eventually turn it over to us themselves, but if we did commit to a higher press they had the ability just to knock it past us and use the space with their pace.

That works fine until you let the guy have a free shot 25 yards out and it flies into the top corner.

16 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've seen a few people mention this, and constantly wonder who it is they expect to suddenly become a clinical goalscorer

A player calling themselves a striker should not be missing from 6 yards out when he's in acres of space and the whole fucking goal to aim at. It was such a lazy, half hearted finish from Cummins - hitting the goalkeeper from there is some achievement.

They were a wee bit sharper on the ball that's all. Their defence was largely pish and Maximov was pretty quick and direct while Dorely was impressive but didn't actually create much threat imo.

They struggled to cope when Millar started actually keeping possession and Scougall was running at them. 

No excuses from me.

Saints were pish.It was a performance that starts and ends at the managers door.

A player calling themselves a striker should not be missing from 6 yards out when he's in acres of space and the whole fucking goal to aim at. It was such a lazy, half hearted finish from Cummins - hitting the goalkeeper from there is some achievement.

Yup. He misses them all the time though, his miss after the Alston sitter annoyed me too. If he takes a touch he's 12 yards out with half the goal to aim at, instead he swings a leg and sky's it. I've been of his biggest defenders lately but it's inexcusable

Take out Celtic and maybe even Rangers then Scottish footy's a 'jumpers for goalposts' league I'm afraid. Trakai have only won a single Europa League tie and that was vs Faroese opposition. Can't see Saints turning it around sadly. 

A successful season for a team outside Celtic/maybe Rangers would be the Europa League play-off. Open top bus parade when that happens. Last non-OF team to qualify for Europa League group stages were Aberdeen way back in 2007. 

Take out Saint Johnstone - kings of underprepared European humiliations to pub teams - and Scottish clubs are doing just fine thanks. Aberdeen may not have reached the Europa League group stages - which is an unrealistic benchmark anyway given their seeding - but they have turfed out comparable or better resourced clubs like Groningen and Rijeka in recent campaigns. Not 'jumpers for goalposts' level at all; try paying attention to the European game before posting.

When playing those clubs Scottish club fans can arguably point to a gulf in technical ability. When they're getting their arse handed to them by beetroot-howkers from a cannon-fodder league? No, they simply made an arse of an easy tie.

I stand by what I said last night. We lost to a side as good as Cowdenbeath.

In the first two minutes you could see they were nervous, making mistakes and were expecting to lose, possibly badly.

That we handed them the initiative after two minutes was evidenced by the huge rise in their confidence as they reveled in the space we gave them.

Poor, poor stuff. Don't buy the halfway through their season excuse either. That was a shocking result and a terribly poor effort by St Johnstone.

Very, very disappointed.

Just a number of great points you have made in this thread. All jokes aside this mentality that our football team is going to sweep away a bunch of players just because they are from Lithuania and play Basketball and earn pennies is ridiculous. It's 11 people against 11 people and absolutely no-one has a divine right to win.

If only there were pesky metrics like comparable wage budgets, previous European results from clubs and national coefficients that would actually tell us which team should actually romp to victory in a tie. Not sure why the bookies offer odds and earn tens of millions each year in the absence of those largely predictive factors tbh.

I'm sure that Kairat Almaty fans are peddling the same cliches and bullshit excuses after they sworded another Lithuanian pub team entrant 6-0 last night. Truly an unpredictable result cos it's only "11 v 11" on the pitch after all.

4 minutes ago, virginton said:

I'm sure that Kairat Almaty fans are peddling the same cliches and bullshit excuses after they sworded another Lithuanian pub team entrant 6-0 last night. Truly an unpredictable result cos it's only "11 v 11" on the pitch after all.

Yeah but are they a "comfortable top six side" like Trakai are?

8 minutes ago, virginton said:

Take out Saint Johnstone - kings of underprepared European humiliations to pub teams - and Scottish clubs are doing just fine thanks. Aberdeen may not have reached the Europa League group stages - which is an unrealistic benchmark anyway given their seeding - but they have turfed out comparable or better resourced clubs like Groningen and Rijeka in recent campaigns. Not 'jumpers for goalposts' level at all; try paying attention to the European game before posting.

When playing those clubs Scottish club fans can arguably point to a gulf in technical ability. When they're getting your arse handed to them by beetroot-howkers from a cannon-fodder league? No, they simply made an arse of an easy tie.

If people want to talk about 'jumpers for goalposts' levels, there are actually clubs in the Lithuanian top flight who don't charge for entry and only ask for donations because their crowds are so small. In Armenia - the other country producing teams who would definitely waltz into our top six on the basis of St. Johnstone embarrassing themselves - the majority of clubs simply let fans in for nothing and don't even bother asking for token donations.

If only there were pesky metrics like comparable wage budgets, previous European results from clubs and national coefficients that would actually tell us which team should actually romp to victory in a tie. Not sure why the bookies offer odds and earn tens of millions each year in the absence of those largely predictive factors tbh.

I can't be bothered reading you're shite so you'll be the first person on this site to make my ignore list. Good luck in finding as much joy supporting Morton as you are getting trolling saints fans. Namaste.

49 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

The chances we missed last night were chances which a competent professional footballer should be scoring, never mind a clinical goalscorer. If we can create similar chances over there then we will have a good chance of progressing. 

Haven't read the thread don't especially want to. Yes we were poor, yes it's a bad result, yes we'll quite rightly take stick for it and deservedly so.

However, we had enough chances in that game to score 4/5/6 and probably should have if it wasn't for some weak finishing and poor refereeing. That's a positive, Clark only had 1 save to make. So despite all their possession and flicks, they didn't create an awful lot. Now I know they've come and technically sat in, but if we can grab a goal over there then they'll panic at the back, they did so last night when under pressure. Do I think we'll go through, not at all far from it, but get Kane on and give Scougall a free role and get in behind them. Alston is a right winger despite what anyone says and once he was moved out their he actually saw the ball. Paton I feel sorry for as he hasn't had the same recovery time and the blame lies at Wrights door for that. I also think Clark should do better with the second goal, it's come on the angle from distance and he's not moved his feet at all.

Poor result, but I've seen enough from saints in the past and enough last night to know we'll get chances. Whether we can stop them running at us and scoring is another question, but if this is the game that costs us and I suspect it will be, may as well go out their all guns blazing. Just as well we're a much better team away from home.

28 minutes ago, Ramagamma said:

I can't be bothered reading you're shite so you'll be the first person on this site to make my ignore list. Good luck in finding as much joy supporting Morton as you are getting trolling saints fans. Namaste.

^^^ sobbing uncontrollably

Baws oot next week indeed. Change the shape to give us more width and to give us more pace too please, Thomas.

Clark

Foster Shaughnessy Gilchrist Easton

Davidson Millar

Alston Scougall Wotherspoon

Kane

Tried and tested middle who can protect the back 4 and an attacking midfield 3 who like to link up and play football. If Davidson isn't fit, bring in Craig. Sneaky wee feeling Anderson might reappear as well, but we'll see.