St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

You want to go to Luxembourg boferding is a quality lager

It was great until they ran out of it pre-match! That restaurant must have made thousands serving beers to 500 Dons fans that day, don't think they were expecting that type of business though.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It was great until they ran out of it pre-match! That restaurant must have made thousands serving beers to 500 Dons fans that day, don't think they were expecting that type of business though.

Haha aye they must have made a fair profit that afternoon

It looks like every single team participating in round one and round two are known and yet we have to wait until 19th June for the draw.  The first match is on 29th June.

It should be done next week, completely separate from the champions league draw.  I know the same complaint gets raised every season, but folk have to organise travel, accommodation and time off work, it just seems such an easy thing to resolve.

1 hour ago, PauloPerth said:

It looks like every single team participating in round one and round two are known and yet we have to wait until 19th June for the draw.  The first match is on 29th June.

It should be done next week, completely separate from the champions league draw.  I know the same complaint gets raised every season, but folk have to organise travel, accommodation and time off work, it just seems such an easy thing to resolve.

That can't be right? Must be raft of leagues still finishing, cup finals, etc.

Equally - even allowing for licensing appeals etc. - June 19th seems excessively late.

18 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

That can't be right? Must be raft of leagues still finishing, cup finals, etc.

Equally - even allowing for licensing appeals etc. - June 19th seems excessively late.

I looked at the website quoted on page 1 of this thread, which is apparently updated daily, and it looked to be the case. Possibly I've read it wrong, I'll copy and paste the website...

Bert Kassies - last updated this morning - still has over half the places shown as unconfirmed:

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2017.html

Only the Azerbaijani, Greek, Maltese, Dutch, Northern Irish and Welsh leagues have actually finished - but not the Greek and Dutch EL playoffs. Most cup finals also outstanding.

• 2 weeks later...
41 minutes ago, YHallSaint said:

Should be away from home first leg if we are seeded

Nope, unless its changed from any of the last few times.

These are the pairing last year, the lower number in each match is the seed

For the draw of the 1st round the 96 teams are divided into 8 groups of 10 teams and 2 group of 8 teams. For the groups with 10 teams the pairs (5 vs 7), (9 vs 2), (1 vs 10), (4 vs 6), and (3 vs 8) were drawn, and for the group with 8 teams the pairs (6 vs 3), (2 vs 7), (8 vs 4), and (5 vs 1) were drawn.

http://kassiesa.home.xs4all.nl/bert/uefa/seedel2016.html

There are seeds and non-seeds so that clearly wouldn't work. Leg order is decided randomly but I can't remember exactly how it works - whether it alternates in each tie drawn, or if it is done by some kind of random draw (whether for each tie or for each 'packet' of ties).

I think it may be the latter: after they've drawn one of the packets of seeds v non-seeds I've got vague memories of them doing a single random draw which decided whether all the seeded teams in that packet were home or away first. I'm sure someone will know how it's set-up.

EDIT: Actually if I'd read the thread properly it seems Realmadrid has confirmed exactly that a few posts up.

The club have given us a tasty wee breakdown of the teams we could be drawn against by country.

ALBANIA

• Partizani Tirana
  • Tirana

ANDORRA

• Sant Julia
  • UE Santa Coloma

ARMENIA

• Gandzasar Kapan
  • Pyunik

BOSNIA & HERZEGOVINA

• Siroki Brijeg

ESTONIA

• Flora Tallinn

FAROE ISLANDS

• B36 Torshavn
  • KI
  • NS Runavik

FINLAND

• SJK
  • VPS

GEORGIA

• Chikhura Sachkhere
  • Dinamo Batumi
  • Torpedo Kutaisi

GIBRALTAR

• Lincoln Red Imps
  • St Joseph’s

HUNGARY

• Vasas
  • Valur

IRELAND, REPUBLIC OF

• Cork City
  • Derry City
  • Shamrock Rovers

KAZAKHSTAN

• Irtysh Pavlodar

KOSOVO

• Prishtina

LATVIA

• Jelgava
  • Liepaja

LITHUANIA

• Atlantas
  • Suduva Marijampole
  • Trakai

LUXEMBOURG

• Differdange 03
  • Fola Esch
  • Progres Niederkorn

MACEDONIA, FYR

• Pelister
  • Shkendija

MALTA

• Balzan
  • Floriana

MOLDOVA

• Zaria Balti

MONTENEGRO

• Sutjeska Niksic
  • Zeta

NORTHERN IRELAND

• Ballymena United
  • Coleraine

SAN MARINO

• Folgore
  • Tre Penne

SERBIA

• Mladost Lucani

SLOVAKIA

• Ruzomberok

SLOVENIA

• Gorica

WALES

• Bala Town
  • Bangor City
  • Connah’s Quay Nomads

Bring on Atlantas!

Too many Armenian and Kazakh teams for my liking.

UEFA seem to have introduced a revised - undisclosed - system of regionalising the teams into draw sets for last season.

First 4 of the 10 sets comprised teams from the British Isles, Scandinavia and Baltic, plus Luxembourg + Belarus.

If that is continued this season, you could be able to draw... Fola Esch or Differdange (Luxembourg), Shamrock Rovers (Eire), Flora Tallinn (Estonia), Jelgava (Latvia), SJK (Finland), Cork (Eire), Torshavn (Faroes), Derry (Eire), Liepaga (Latvia), VPS (Finland), Valur (Iceland), Atlantas, Suduva or Trakai (Lithuania), Bala (Wales), Runavik (Faroes), Connah's Quay or Bangor (Wales), Niederkorn (Luxembourg), Coleraine or Ballymena (Northern Ireland), KI (Faroes)... but there's an imbalance of Seeds to Non-Seeds of 17 / 23 so maybe strip-out Baltics.

Archived