St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

4 minutes ago, Swello said:

There must come a point for St Johnstone where europe becomes a pain in the arse/money loser rather than something to aim for. By the end of our 6 years in Europe, there was a noticeable drop in enthusiasm as (other than one season) we made no impression at all and the sight of us getting papped out by (usually) much better teams soon wore a bit thin - and the Stjarnan debacle felt like a full stop. 

Much as I personally enjoyed trips to Nancy, Bucharest, Athens, Valencia, etc - the debate was latterly around how much of a detriment it was to the club's league preparations and how much money these ties ended up costing us (eg, schlepping out to deepest Russia to play Krasnador in a dead game). We at least had the advantage of getting a few recognisably big teams (and the novelty of the CL qualifiers), which St Johnstone have generally lacked - but I'm interested to know how the enthusiasm for Europe is holding up?*

Reveal hidden contents

*I would take it again in a minute :)

It'll never get boring. I kinda knew what to expect last night, love playing in the pub league. What it does highlight is how technically inept Scottish football is and we need to change. St Johnstone are clearly the 4th best team in Scotland and our individual players technical ability is shocking, absolutely shocking.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Saints have absolutely no pace and it's something that bothers me so much. We always slow play down, bringing the ball back and holding off to allow our cloggers to get up front. We haven't got anyone who can go #bawsoot and dart into the box and cause problems. Trakai had fast players who could do that. We need someone with pace like MOH for example.

1 minute ago, jamamafegan said:

Saints have absolutely no pace and it's something that bothers me so much. We always slow play down, bringing the ball back and holding off to allow our cloggers to get up front. We haven't got anyone who can go #bawsoot and dart into the box and cause problems. Trakai had fast players who could do that. We need someone with pace like MOH for example.

Indeed. Thomson and Foster aside, the most positive comment you could make about one of individuals in our squad's pace is they're 'not slow' :lol:

You can only piss with the cock you've got though, for this round anyway.

I think the key thing is you've played shite last night, but you've got another match to make up for it. If they really are cloggers, use the extra week and extra game's fitness to show them their place! You're certainly not out of it. We lost to Fola Esch but beat them at home. One performance doesn't prove anything about the absolute quality of a team. By their financial and league standings you should have them, and you've got a chance to prove it. 

You've just got to hope Tommy's banned P+B from the dressing room. 

"Every one of the teams in this competition are all probably technically better than us, that's why we can't allow them time on the ball. We didn't get in about them enough in the first half. this statement from Tommy wright is very naive
why play 2 up front?He knew Anderson was going to be a big miss plus maclean is not travelling to Lithuania 
He should have played 5 across the middle and stopped them playing
Bad finishing is an excuse for bad tactics Tommy knew before the game they would have a lot of the ball yet gave them an extra man in the middle of the park

yes st johnstone should have got something out the game but Tommy wright made it even harder fecking joke

I still think we're in it, purely because we know what to expect from them and we can't be as poor again.. surely!

unlikely to go thru though, cos generally we don't win games by many goals and our defence  is nowhere near as solid as previous years. Ando back would make a world of difference, thought he was out for a month though?

we maybe went into last night with the wrong mindset. I was one who agreed we needed a lead as well with the away leg on plastic and without Maclean. With the benefit of hindsight though, a 0-0 draw at home isn't the worst, is a hell of a lot better than what we've got, and you'd always have fancied our chances at shitfesting a 1-1 away.

2 hours ago, Fraser Fyvie said:

"It's 11 v 11" :lol:

Perhaps the most laughable defence of last night's humiliation.

*apart from the last 10 / 15 mins after their red card. 

3 hours ago, Dunning1874 said:

If people want to talk about 'jumpers for goalposts' levels, there are actually clubs in the Lithuanian top flight who don't charge for entry and only ask for donations because their crowds are so small. In Armenia - the other country producing teams who would definitely waltz into our top six on the basis of St. Johnstone embarrassing themselves - the majority of clubs simply let fans in for nothing and don't even bother asking for token donations.

I heard that trakai's players were actually baggage handlers at the airport and just got picked because of that. Half had never played football before but it was the only way of being able to afford to get them over here.

The sub that came on without the boots though was ridiculous, I don't care how poor they are.

Just watched the 'highlights'. The worst thing about them is the whiney c**t of a commentator. What an absolute c**t of a voice he has. 

3 minutes ago, Trackdaybob said:

Just watched the 'highlights'. The worst thing about them is the whiney c**t of a commentator. What an absolute c**t of a voice he has. 

Alston's miss is every bit as bad as Cummins' on that evidence, which I hadn't quite appreciated last night. Wasn't sure about the disallowed goal at the time, but I think you can see Cummins impede the keeper with his arm. Still can't make up my mind if Clark could've done better with the second goal or not. He looked a lot more culpable from my angle last night than the camera angle there suggests.

5 minutes ago, Kyle said:

Alston's miss is every bit as bad as Cummins' on that evidence, which I hadn't quite appreciated last night. Wasn't sure about the disallowed goal at the time, but I think you can see Cummins impede the keeper with his arm. Still can't make up my mind if Clark could've done better with the second goal or not. He looked a lot more culpable from my angle last night than the camera angle there suggests.

I thought Clark was at fault. Mannus would have got that. Clark was very slow to react.

1 minute ago, tree house tam said:

I thought Clark was at fault. Mannus would have got that. Clark was very slow to react.

I thought so too, but I don't think the highlights... highlight :rolleyes:... that.

Clark wasn't at fault for the second, no chance. He couldn't even see the ball when it was struck from the angle I seen it from.

I think Scottish teams who go out to unseeded opposition in the first round should be barred from Europe for three years or so. Need to learn this kind of result is not acceptable.

Why is it a Scottish football problem that St Johnstone played a team full of cloggers?

If you leave your two best footballers on the bench, it's a bit stupid to then start wailing about "what are they coaching youngsters these days?"

Paul Paton was in your team ffs

Archived