St Johnstone FC European Tour 17/18

Steve McQueen

I suppose it is quite sad that it's taken a game against some Lithuanian jobbers for St Johnstone fans to realise that Liam Craig and Paul Paton aren't technically good footballers.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, jamamafegan said:

Just saw the whole Trakai squad milling about outside loft. They didn't go in.

Top boys. Obviously away to get on the ching at the Ice Factory.

I don't know enough about what happens with kids getting coached in pro-youth football to be certain what @Kyle is saying is true but he can't be far off the mark at all. Why don't we produce players who can match the technical ability of players from eastern Europe? In the first team environment it's all about tempo and pressing and not letting teams play out from the back. Does that happen in academy football? Players can overcome that (as we saw tonight) but are our players every getting the chance to build up the technical skills required to do so? Or is the lure of having the big strong lad up front that scores 60 goals in a season too great for ambitious coaches? The idea reserve leagues or colt teams will improve our players technically (if that's even the aim) is fanciful.

Paul Paton tries like a bear but the Lithuanians must've looked at him tonight and wondered what sport it was he was trying to play.

4 minutes ago, Menzel said:

You were doing this when Alashkert beat you last season, weren't you?

Yes, because every year we get passed off the park by a foreign team, who are technically better than any team we face in Scotland, and every year fans of other Scottish clubs who've never watched a game at this level tell us how they're pub league standard. You should know yourself the gulf between Scottish clubs and Eastern Europe teams isn't in our favour anymore.

4 minutes ago, DC92 said:

I suppose it is quite sad that it's taken a game against some Lithuanian jobbers for St Johnstone fans to realise that Liam Craig and Paul Paton aren't technically good footballers.

Its always been clear, thankfully Scottish teams aren't capable of exploiting it though.

6 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

Yes, because every year we get passed off the park by a foreign team, who are technically better than any team we face in Scotland, and every year fans of other Scottish clubs who've never watched a game at this level tell us how they're pub league standard. You should know yourself the gulf between Scottish clubs and Eastern Europe teams isn't in our favour anymore.

Scottish teams are too slow and not clever enough IMO

Just now, Menzel said:

But aye, right enough. One technically better team than the rest of Scotland, Alashkert, absolutely bossed Andorra's FC Santa Coloma 1-0 tonight too. 

I've absolutely no idea what your point is here, Celtic lost to a team from Gibraltar last season. 

1 minute ago, RandomGuy. said:

I've absolutely no idea what your point is here, Celtic lost to a team from Gibraltar last season. 

And were ripped mercilessly for it. St Johnstone succumb to a poor defeat and you're immediately trying to rationalise it in increasingly bizarre ways. 

12 minutes ago, RandomGuy. said:

I'm lucky enough to remember the glory days of 2007-08 when Lithuanian internationals Audrius Ksnavicius, Kestutis Ivaskevicius, Ricardas Beniusis and Linas Pilibaitis used to run rings round the opposition every week. I was shocked, having just looked it up, to discover that we finished 8th behind Falkirk that season.

41 minutes ago, WendyWho? said:

There'd be no reason to watch that game back as a fan - and no means to do so anyway - but if it were possible you'd see how much Vorobjovas was involved. Absolutely everything they did went through him at some point. The criminal thing from our point of view is that we didn't lay a glove on him. We just didn't deal with his positioning at all. Loads of one touch passes sending MacLean and Cummins chasing defenders, only for said defenders to find him again two passes later, at which point he receives on the half turn and has 30 yards of central space and a full-back bombing on. All of that notwithstanding, he always seemed to make the right decisions. Never panicked. Even on the occasions we did manage to put him under pressure. He looked an absolute star.

And you're right - he's 21. I genuinely can't remember the last time I saw a 21-year-old Scottish player looking anywhere near as assured. If ever.

Paul McStay age 20 in a qualifier against Iceland and Barry Ferguson age 21 when we won 1-0 at Wembley in 1999 would be two ocasions for me. Darren Fletcher as our youngest captain for a century in 2004 would suggest an assurance as well. I`d suggest Kieran Tierney in recent times fits the bill.

All of the above clearly comes with the health warning that I wasn`t at the game tonight,

Lithuanian football ranks only above the micro states - but we have reserved a special place for it in our pantheon of calamities. In the mid-1990s Aberdeen only scraped past Zalgiris 5-4 on aggregate. In 2000 Rangers beat Zalgiris but drew the second leg 0-0. Vetra beat Hibs in 2004. Kaunas humiliated Rangers right after their UEFA Cup Final appearance. Now this potential debacle. Only Celtic - who thrashed Suduva and Kaunas either side of their UEFA Cup Final appearance - has lodged a convincing result against Lithuanians.

In comparison we have - as we should expect - a stronger record against many stronger countries.

Even among the Baltic states, we've always comprehensively thrashed clubs from the stronger Latvian and Estonian leagues - with the exception of Aberdeen losing to Skonto Riga.

But aye, right enough. One technically better team than the rest of Scotland, Alashkert, absolutely bossed Andorra's FC Santa Coloma 1-0 tonight too. 

And were ripped mercilessly for it. St Johnstone succumb to a poor defeat and you're immediately trying to rationalise it in increasingly bizarre ways. 

Oft. That was a masterfully planned piece of telt there.

Take out Celtic and maybe even Rangers then Scottish footy's a 'jumpers for goalposts' league I'm afraid. Trakai have only won a single Europa League tie and that was vs Faroese opposition. Can't see Saints turning it around sadly. 

A successful season for a team outside Celtic/maybe Rangers would be the Europa League play-off. Open top bus parade when that happens. Last non-OF team to qualify for Europa League group stages were Aberdeen way back in 2007. 

Scottish footy's a 'jumpers for goalposts' league I'm afraid.

As much as I don't believe that this is the case at all, after all these are knockout cup games and look what happens in cups every single season.....

Does anyone really give a shit? Football is week to week domestically. And I love it. Struggle to give a f**k about teams getting bad results in Europe now tbh.

6 hours ago, Radford said:

I didn't really notice Vorobjovas but then, like the Saints players, I was guilty of following the ball about like a dog being teased for much of the first half. Someone made the same point to me at HT as @WendyWho? that he was pulling the strings. Dorley was a joy to watch and got the reception he deserved when subbed.

We had a 22-year-old making his debut tonight that we are talking about as a young player; FK Trakai had five players that age or younger starting and brought another one off the bench. Folk can get caught up in various aspects of tonight but there is no doubt that technically, their players were better than ours and whilst maybe not a shock or something revealing, it does leave you asking why?

But, for all that, Saints should have emerged from the game with a better result. It wouldn't be a game of football if Cummins didn't miss a sitter, Alston had one too, Scougall hit the post and we have another couple of close things. And that's in spite of Tommy Wright getting his team wrong. It's hard to be critical of him though. The lack of sharpness is highlighted and was evident but equally, he hasn't had a chance to find his best team. He still made some poor decisions that can't be excused but did anyone envisage Paton playing so poorly after the way he ended last season, for example?

I thought Saints needed to get the job done tonight, so it'd be foolhardy to sit here now after seeing Trakai play and give us much hope next week but hopefully the players will at least be a bit sharper and TW will pick a better team. You look around Europe at some of the results tonight and there are ties that are dead. The score at 1-2 at least gives us a puncher's chance.

I think it was more the fact that he was inexperienced than especially young. 

This. The "diddy team" argument is the one that keeps holding us back at club and national level. We need to start realising that the nation's that were diddies in the past are now, At the very least, very good technically. That doesn't mean we shouldn't be beating them, but it's not exactly a surprise if we don't like it was previously.

I have no knowledge or experience of coaching, but how hard can it be to coach technique in youngsters? Is It just different priorities? Just concentrating on playing to the strengths of the kid that took his growth spurt at 9? Surely it isn't hard to get kids comfortable on the ball and able to play sensible passes?

Archived