Groundhop 2019 dates

56 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Looking forward to it. 

I understand that clubs need to produce a programme as part of the deal, and a badge as well and supply them in advance to be distributed to those on the tour?

Be careful, I'll be heading to Blackburn that day... ;) 

• 5 months later...
2 minutes ago, Ginaro said:

Interesting tweet, I'm guessing the reply from TJ was no and there's not been any Juniors in the groundhops?

I'm fairly certain it was a West Region meeting he presented at, but ultimately clubs didn't want to move kick-off times to accomodate.

This is great news and is just as I expected.  Linlithgow Rose in particular is a great attraction to English groundhoppers but there will be visitors coming from as far away as Germany.

I wonder who might  have scuttled the chances of a West Region groundhop a few years ago?  Does anyone have any ideas?  SR?

In contrast I think that HibeeJibee & Co have been absolutely brilliant promoting the EOSL  - "a breath of fresh air".

Can someone change the year to 2019 in the thread title please.  It is very confusing and will mess up those that first locate the thread on Google.

Linlithgow and Camelon are two cracking grounds. Dunipace and ourselves are perhaps a little more modern shall we say which isn't to everyone's tastes but at least it guarantee's the games will be on (as long as it doesn't snow!). Inverkeithing is rather basic but a nice view of the Forth bridges.  Not been to Peebles as yet but looks a nice setting.

I think we're aiming to have a pile of Scottish non-league programmes on sale at the game mainly from the last few years covering a lot of local clubs and further afield, if that sort of thing is of interest, hopefully raise some funds towards future ground improvements.  I know the guy with the badge stall will also be there.

Influx of new teams has come at a good time as far as this groundhop is concerned. As of last season only Tweedmouth hadn't been on the roster... and as well as being in the wrong place, they couldn't have hosted it until now given the total lack of facilities at Old Shielfield and of course were supposed to be moving to groundshare Shielfield Park for this season. (LTHV and Peebles - who are in the roster this season - were supposed to be held last year but got washed out and snowed off respectively).

Indeed last season Mid Annandale of SOSL was the Friday night game.

Over the 4 previous hops the average crowd at Lowland games (total of 13) was 366, and average at EOS games (total of 7 including Civil Service v Leith) was 230... I think Mid Annandale was 235.

My impression is the novelty factor for local neutrals has unsurprisingly waned a bit over the years - idea is longer new or original - but this could get rebooted with the new clubs. You've also got new extremes... Inverkeithing v Heriot-Watt Uni could easily see the hoppers/neutrals outweigh the home/away fans; Linlithgow v Jeanfield is a title race contest at a club that usually get 250-350 anyway.

3 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

...Linlithgow v Jeanfield is a title race contest at a club that usually get 250-350 anyway.

Given we had 500 for Broxburn and 600 for Camelon at home, I'd have been expecting something around that level for Jeanfield anyway, especially if the two are still at the top of the Conference. With maybe another 150 or so for the groundhop this could be a really good gate. It'll be interesting to see how many locals will come out for an 8pm kick off on a Saturday though.

3 minutes ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:
11 hours ago, Burnie_man said:
I'm fairly certain it was a West Region meeting he presented at, but ultimately clubs didn't want to move kick-off times to accomodate.

Classic - why would you want a couple hundred extra on the gate anyway

Coz its tradishun...

11 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Influx of new teams has come at a good time as far as this groundhop is concerned. As of last season only Tweedmouth hadn't been on the roster... and as well as being in the wrong place, they couldn't have hosted it until now given the total lack of facilities at Old Shielfield and of course were supposed to be moving to groundshare Shielfield Park for this season. (LTHV and Peebles - who are in the roster this season - were supposed to be held last year but got washed out and snowed off respectively).

Indeed last season Mid Annandale of SOSL was the Friday night game.

Over the 4 previous hops the average crowd at Lowland games (total of 13) was 366, and average at EOS games (total of 7 including Civil Service v Leith) was 230... I think Mid Annandale was 235.

My impression is the novelty factor for local neutrals has unsurprisingly waned a bit over the years - idea is longer new or original - but this could get rebooted with the new clubs. You've also got new extremes... Inverkeithing v Heriot-Watt Uni could easily see the hoppers/neutrals outweigh the home/away fans; Linlithgow v Jeanfield is a title race contest at a club that usually get 250-350 anyway.

I think more needs to be made of International breaks/Winter breaks and have a "Non-League Day" as they seem to do successfully down south.

Not sure who promotes it down there, but it's become a fixture on the calendar, I think in September.  This coming September Scotland have two home qualifiers on the Friday and Monday (and an U21 home qualifier on the Thursday), so a great chance to promote games on the Saturday (and even the Sunday?).

Given we had 500 for Broxburn and 600 for Camelon at home, I'd have been expecting something around that level for Jeanfield anyway, especially if the two are still at the top of the Conference. With maybe another 150 or so for the groundhop this could be a really good gate. It'll be interesting to see how many locals will come out for an 8pm kick off on a Saturday though.
I think there will be less locals than normal but that should be more than compensated by the groundhoppers.

2 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

have a "Non-League Day" as they seem to do successfully down south.

Not sure who promotes it down there, but it's become a fixture on the calendar, I think in September.  This coming September Scotland have two home qualifiers on the Friday and Monday (and an U21 home qualifier on the Thursday), so a great chance to promote games on the Saturday (and even the Sunday?).

Lowland + EOSL have participated in "Non League Day" before. Sadly it is fixed by English authorities and this season they moved it from Sep to Oct, presumably to suit England international, but it was a cup-tie date up here (though half the games got rained off so it would've been a bit academic).

Possibly the Scottish leagues could try to agree and promote their own day, granted.

5 hours ago, ThatBoyRonaldo said:
16 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

Classic - why would you want a couple hundred extra on the gate anyway

"Can we move k.o. to accommodate some ground hop anoraks?"

Naw!

"Can we postpone our game to avoid a clash with another big game? We'll say it was raining"

Aye ok.