Groundhop 2018 dates

Hoofhearted

Provisional plan for next year's Groundhop. Details on Non-League Matters forums webpage.

APRIL 2018

13th-15th - Scottish Hop (Groundhop UK) - dates to be confirmed
Provisional line up:
Fri: Cumbernauld Colts or Mid-Annandale
Sat: Burntisland Shipyard - Heriot Watt University (all ticket match on indoor 3G floodlit pitch) - Lothian Thistle HV v Tynecastle
Sun: Peebles Rovers
If Cowdenbeath are relegated they'll be added to Saturday to make a four game day 

15 hours ago, cowdenbeath said:

Even picking where teams are to play the games:rolleyes:

Turns it from a game in front of 5 men and a dog into an all ticket game with a 500 capacity 100 yards away. Everyone wins Cowden. 

Great line up again. 

5 hours ago, Rab B Nesbit said:

Turns it from a game in front of 5 men and a dog into an all ticket game with a 500 capacity 100 yards away. Everyone wins Cowden. 

Great line up again. 

I know where your coming from Rab but it seems a case of the tail wagging the dog.

11 minutes ago, Burnie_man said:

Can't they get a couple of hundred round the barrier at HWU normal pitch?

They play on the 3G which just has public access on one side probably a couple of 100 max. The grass pitch they used to use has standing all the way round but used for Hearts training. They probably want the novelty of an inside game - can't see the cafe coping mind you.

25 minutes ago, magoo said:

Can we draw a line over people moaning about ground hop every year..its nothing but a great concept 

It is indeed a Great Concept.  As a bit of a Groundhopper myself, I acknowledge this, but lets see football matches on football pitches, not in glorified gymnasiums. 

13 hours ago, magoo said:

Can we draw a line over people moaning about ground hop every year..its nothing but a great concept 

It strikes me as very artificial. Clubs must do a programme (or they'll do one for you), clubs must have a badge (or they'll do one for you), clubs must change the kick-off days/times to suit, and now they're changing home venues.

Mind you, the organisers are after the anorak £, and the clubs make money.

I actually don't have an issue with any of the above. Obviously kick off times must change or it wouldn't be a groundhop. Guys won't charter busses from London and Bristol to see just a couple of games. It's only once a year and doesn't affect the vast majority of clubs, so it's not exactly a big ask. 

And it's only natural that they want some sort of momento to prove that they had been there, so a programme and badge etc seems like a pretty sensible solution. 

Agree with others that under normal circumstances you'd want the game to be outdoors, but surely as a one-off, this is a great opportunity to showcase our National Performance Centre.

I know we're Scottish, but we can surely be positive every now and then.

I don't see how anyone loses from the groundhops. Remember: it only happens once at any club. For literally a one-off interruption the club makes thousands of £ and plays in front of a big crowd; the league usually gets some extra publicity; and the hoppers visit lots of grounds.

Providing programmes and badges is part of that. Enhances hoppers experience and clubs will profit from every sale.

That said the arrangements are always provisional. I don't think any of the last 3 have gone ahead precisely as first billed - there's always a swap here, an amended kick-off there, etc.

Really enjoyed our Saturday evening kick off down at Hawick, had the atmosphere of a European away trip, sitting in the sunshine during the afternoon, drinking beer on the outside tables at Wotherspoons and the Mansfield Bar.

FB_IMG_1490812784455.jpg

21 hours ago, Ian38018 said:

It is indeed a Great Concept.  As a bit of a Groundhopper myself, I acknowledge this, but lets see football matches on football pitches, not in glorified gymnasiums. 

Glorified gymnasiums......????

11 hours ago, Burnie_man said:

It strikes me as very artificial. Clubs must do a programme (or they'll do one for you), clubs must have a badge (or they'll do one for you), clubs must change the kick-off days/times to suit, and now they're changing home venues.

Mind you, the organisers are after the anorak £, and the clubs make money.

I know what you mean I would prefer to visit a new ground on a normal game day get the "real" feel and match experience of the place. With 100 or so trainspotter types also there that's just not going to happen everyone to their own I suppose.

From what I heard from someone their a bit of a pain regarding things, wanting programmes delivered on a Thursday for a start most clubs probably don't get them delivered until a Saturday afternoon.

Don't they get a percentage of the gate money as well? Sure HJ will know.

The novelty of an indoor game will be a big selling point and the facilities are very good.

They ask for all programmes to be handed over on their arrival so they are dished out for the whole weekend ahead. 

We ended up with a huge crowd for our game on the 2nd Scottish Hop with Gala and the buzz around the place was great. 

Big money spinner for clubs. 

49 minutes ago, cowdenbeath said:

I know what you mean I would prefer to visit a new ground on a normal game day get the "real" feel and match experience of the place. With 100 or so trainspotter types also there that's just not going to happen everyone to their own I suppose.

From what I heard from someone their a bit of a pain regarding things, wanting programmes delivered on a Thursday for a start most clubs probably don't get them delivered until a Saturday afternoon.

Don't they get a percentage of the gate money as well? Sure HJ will know.

Get ready for some crowd-obsessed saddo walking past you with a clicker :lol:

Since LL - and subsequently EOSL - began the annual 'hops' in association with GroundhopUK there have been 16 matches.

AFAICS average crowd has been 345... Highest 491 (EK-Whitehill), lowest 227 (Eyemouth-LTHV).

I would estimate that will have collectively generated £60,000 of income for the clubs? Based on £5 admission and average £5 additional spend-per-head. (Spend-per-head could well be more - plenty hoppers buy 2 programmes and a pin badge, food and drink, some take other memorabilia too, etc.).

Obviously there will be material costs - but clubs will be profiting from every programme, pin badge, pie 'n pint sold and with greater economies-of-scale v regular matches. Local hotels and B&B will receive trade too. Plus of course the organisers must be making money from selling transport and accommodation and selling bulk tickets and programme packs.

Clubs are always going to put up with some one-off inconvenience and eccentricities, when it means the novelty of a big crowd and then laughing all the way to the bank. What must be important is maximising the experience and its profitability, though - by definition the 'hoppers' will never return en masse.

EDIT: Also don't forget it isn't unique to Scotland. It's part of an annual program of 'hops' organised by various leagues, organisations and individuals.

Typically it seems to look something like this:

March - eastern England, Scotland, south-west England
April - Wales, Midlands, northern England
August - eastern England, Wales
September - Home Counties
October - western England

Archived