Berwick Rangers 2017/18

I don't mind loaning U20s from full-time clubs but it's usually more of a stop-gap measure: we only get them for half a season, sometimes a whole season, often subject to recall, so it isn't a way of building up for the medium and longer terms. Also the detail of the deal can be important... in the past we've had players from Hibs unavailable for SPFL2 games due to Development League or Scottish Youth Cup matches, and there's now this Irn-Bru nonsense too.

I'm hoping we'll also be seeing a number of established players on permanent deals.

• Replies 417
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

I don't mind loaning U20s from full-time clubs but it's usually more of a stop-gap measure: we only get them for half a season, sometimes a whole season, often subject to recall, so it isn't a way of building up for the medium and longer terms. Also the detail of the deal can be important... in the past we've had players from Hibs unavailable for SPFL2 games due to Development League or Scottish Youth Cup matches, and there's now this Irn-Bru nonsense too.

I'm hoping we'll also be seeing a number of established players on permanent deals.

Agree. I'm secretly quite impressed with the squad so far, but don't tell anyone.

3 more permanent signings - especially a right back - and we should have a team that looks much better than last year. 

(So long as we don't get 5 injuries and 7 red cards before bonfire night).

I agree, it'll be good to see young talent at Shielfield, wether permanent or loan. Again, you're right about the potential negative dynamic of the latter for the team . It's tough on the manager and the players if they feature regularly and are part of a settled side, then recalled or the deal ends, leaving a disrupted situation. Felt a bit like that last year.

Hopefully the boys we have this year a) will feature and b) are able to stick around.

Hope a few of our own u20's feature too.

Might Coff have a couple of rabbits to pull out if the hat, by way of late deals for quality players to help us push up the league and really compete.

Fingers crossed.

2 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

Drawn away to Kilmarnock U20s in Irn-Bru Cup R1... Tue 15th/Wed 16th August.

What's the record low crowd for a Berwick game in first-class competition?

You got a crowd of 71 for a "home" game against Arbroath which was played at Bayview Park Methil on 25th April 1992. This was when the greyhound guy kicked Berwick out of Shielfield for the last few months of that season.

I would expect Killie U20s to draw more than that when we played them in a youth cup tie a few seasons back there was a couple of 100 there, suppose it will be down to what they charge.

BRFC open day tomorrow.

"We would love to see as many people show their support as possible so please spread the word as there’ll be a raft of activities to keep you entertained throughout the day."

Looks like the sun will be shining tomorrow, but does anyone know what the raft of activities will be available to keep us entertained?

15 hours ago, dreamteamer said:

Coughlin to have a further 3 new players signed before Tuesdays friendly against Consett. Anyone know who they may be?

Defenders Kevin Waugh and Callum Donaldson signed from Hibs development squad until January. 

The club are pleased to announce that a deal has been agreed with former Arbroath, St Johnstone and Elgin City midfielder, Keiran Stewart.

Stewart, who is equally adept at right full back, was a free agent having left The Black and Whites at the end of last season.

Eagle eyed fans will have noticed Keiran playing at the open day last Saturday as he integrates with his new team mates. Keiran is comfortable on the ball and will add some much needed competition to the midfield and defensive areas of the squad.

Much needed addition to the squad, glad to see we're getting a bit more experience in.

Any feedback from tonight's match?

Impressed with all the new signings (especially Irving), lost his creative influence when he went off at half time. Scullion was an utter bombscare though, definitely need another centre half. Was the same old hoofball to one upfront for the majority of the game. Both forwards put a decent shift in tbf to them. Still a fair bit of work to be done

Under 20s have pulled out of the Oban tournament at very short notice,anybody know why?

Players involved in match v Morpeth and some on holiday; Squad was too depleted as I understand it. Shame, it'd have been a good test.

Aaron Murrell signed. 

At least I think he has. No official confirmation but I think Coughlin said so in his post match Morpeth interview.

Agree with Coughlin that the squad seems technically much better than last year. 

Archived