Henry McClelland

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Far to lenient. He probably spent more on his 'illegal' bets.

Yeh I agree. The guy has influence on his teams results so shouldn't be allowed to bet on them to "not win" which is probably better terminology than saying to lose.

Yeh I agree. The guy has influence on his teams results so shouldn't be allowed to bet on them to "not win" which is probably better terminology than saying to lose.

Can you tell me how can the Chairman have any influence on the team not to win?

5 hours ago, marco44 said:

He gets an unfair advantage from other gamblers by being in regular contact with the manager let's say inside information ( form , who's not available etc)

what's wrong with some Annan fans principles he broke the rules he should pay the price and that is by not being the figurehead of the club the punishment by the sfa was pathetic and not consistent as for the committee they want to grow a set 

ps hope the rumour is not true that the club is paying his fine lol 

Certainly causing a stir : The Scottish Football Supporters Association :-

Betting in the spotlight again

bookies.png

Date: 2nd June 2017

Sadly the betting saga rumbles on and according to the Chairman of the PFA in Scotland John Rankin what we have seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yesterday the SFA threw the book ( well a paper magazine) at Annan Athletic Chairman Henry McLelland for his betting indiscretions.

What this saga is highlighting is poor governance and a lack of transparency from Hampden Park. It seems that a line has been crossed when management and players start betting on their own clubs. Given the potential financial rewards involved it could be seen as potential insider trading given the knowledge that a club official might have on team selection, injuries, illness of key players etc. In this case the sanctions imposed seem on the light side. It has to call into question the whole process of who is caught, how they are caught, education on betting issues and of course the complete dominance of betting sponsorships in our game. We highlighted earlier this week that 8 different betting companies had advertised at the recent Dundee United v Hamilton Accies game.

Surely now is the time when a summit is called for to look at all these problems where people who are not part of the self regulation process can have input to making sense of this mess. Our Chair Simon Barrow and our Board Member Henry McLeish will soon be meeting with the SFA and we will report back on whether our call for a summit is successful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40122507

11 minutes ago, the philosopher said:

Certainly causing a stir : The Scottish Football Supporters Association :-

Betting in the spotlight again

bookies.png

Date: 2nd June 2017

Sadly the betting saga rumbles on and according to the Chairman of the PFA in Scotland John Rankin what we have seen so far is just the tip of the iceberg.

Yesterday the SFA threw the book ( well a paper magazine) at Annan Athletic Chairman Henry McLelland for his betting indiscretions.

What this saga is highlighting is poor governance and a lack of transparency from Hampden Park. It seems that a line has been crossed when management and players start betting on their own clubs. Given the potential financial rewards involved it could be seen as potential insider trading given the knowledge that a club official might have on team selection, injuries, illness of key players etc. In this case the sanctions imposed seem on the light side. It has to call into question the whole process of who is caught, how they are caught, education on betting issues and of course the complete dominance of betting sponsorships in our game. We highlighted earlier this week that 8 different betting companies had advertised at the recent Dundee United v Hamilton Accies game.

Surely now is the time when a summit is called for to look at all these problems where people who are not part of the self regulation process can have input to making sense of this mess. Our Chair Simon Barrow and our Board Member Henry McLeish will soon be meeting with the SFA and we will report back on whether our call for a summit is successful.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/football/40122507

Seems a reasonable report and a decent question,over to you SFA !

What I find INCREDIBLE is that he is still chairman of the club .Has he no morals ? .Have the rest of this commitee no say ? .How can he continue to oversee the running of the club ?.
Or is it a club within a club ? ,as it has been for years .

What I find INCREDIBLE is that he is still chairman of the club .Has he no morals ? .Have the rest of this commitee no say ? .How can he continue to oversee the running of the club ?.
Or is it a club within a club ? ,as it has been for years .

Morals??? Are you having a laugh??

I'd say, any chairman who was caught doing what our chairman was caught doing, would have walked away. Regardless-if the rumours are true-if the committee didn't want his resignation,IMO.

Firstly, without influence, I'm sure the chairman says to the manager during the week "how we looking for Saturday" at which point the manager would reply either positively (and the chairman might not bet against them) or say something negative like "our goalkeeper and both first choice centre halfs got injured in training, could be struggle" at which point the chairman may decide to have a bet to soften the blow of a possible defeat.

Surely you can see that?

The more extreme event where he can influence is when the manager gives him the injury news in that scenario, chairman bets against the team, and then on the Friday the manager says something like "I can get Goalkeeper X in on a short term deal for this amount per week for a month to cover the injury". The chairman then, due to possibly having a sizeable bet against the team and now the possibility of an extra wage to cover, refuses this request and the team have to play with an untried 16 year old.

Now I'm not for a minute saying either of these things happened but it is a possibility and it means the chairman at worst has an influence and at best has an unfair advantage over the bookie.

I have met Henry McClelland on many occasions and he is, without any doubt, a committed volunteer without whom the club would not have progressed to the level it's at. Two of your former managers speak incredibly highly of him, of his support and of his commitment to the future. Everyone accepts that the man has erred and broken the gambling rules; of that there is no doubt. He has been punished; paying £1000 within 30 days is a significant punishment in anyone's book. The SFA did not ban him from football activities and I think he should be left to resume his admirable duties at Annan.

Far to lenient. He probably spent more on his 'illegal' bets.

Have to agree, should have gotten a spell, banished from the game

Archived