Henry McClelland

Don't worry I will precious.

By the way the only thing "that's utterly disgusting" is the way some on here seem to want to see Chunky hung, drawn and quartered. Some people have short memories, the man has given a hell of a lot to the club. More than the likes of you or I ever will so get back in your box.

Betting against the team he is chairman of is utterly disgusting no matter how you want to look at it. I certainly don't want him "hung, drawn and quartered " and actually hope this isn't a sign of an actual gambling problem.

I'm well aware there are many at the club who have and will put more into it than I ever can or will. As for your back in my box comment I'm afraid I can't find myself being quite as petty as you so no insults are going to come from me.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was saying that the rules should change to allow players etc to have a bet on games that they've got nothing to do with.

Nope, they have inside knowledge of what's happening between other teams.

Also "swing a game for me and I'll do the same for you". Far less likely to happen between sporting disciplines.

Sensible rules. If you like a bet, bet on another sport, there is plenty to chose from.

"He bet against his own team"...

..I suppose our inability to hit a coo's erse with a banjo in the second half the last time we were down at Galabank must have cost a few quid... 

I'm against players gambling etc. but I wonder how many bets are actually successful. Based on my limited experience there's always one result in an accumulator that throws you.

I'm not involved in City as a director so I can reveal that the only time in 20 years supporting them that I've ever bet on them was two quid at 5-1 to beat the Mo at Links Park when we got our first league win. The winnings were re-invested in supporting the Scottish Brewing industry.. :guinness

Still fail to see why people bring up the 'footballers should be allowed to bet' drivel. They aren't so they shouldn't. If I wasn't allowed to gamble due to my job I simply wouldn't.

There is no defence for it.

Also, the numbers of bets quoted do not imply a gambling problem imo. This is going to be branded about by all footballers who are caught in a hope that a sympathetic viewpoint may stop them losing their jobs. Then perhaps the ones who really do have a gambling problem wont receive the assistance they require as everyone is crying wolf.

This Annan Chairman should be banished from ever being involved in football again, I don't think you can run a football club and be seen to be betting on events relating to this football club.

On ‎10‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 22:11, Alert Mongoose said:

Out of interest on the charge of betting against your team, would betting on a draw come under that bracket?

Is there an actual charge of betting against your own team? I don't see how that would be possible as betting against your team isn't specifically banned is it? It is just betting in general.

If that it not the case then a draw would come under that bracket as you are betting on them not to win.

Is there an actual charge of betting against your own team? I don't see how that would be possible as betting against your team isn't specifically banned is it? It is just betting in general.
If that it not the case then a draw would come under that bracket as you are betting on them not to win.

Sorry, I worded that badly. What I meant was that it is almost always assumed any sanction would be greater if you had bet against your team and wasn't sure if betting on a draw would come under that.

6 minutes ago, Alert Mongoose said:

Sorry, I worded that badly. What I meant was that it is almost always assumed any sanction would be greater if you had bet against your team and wasn't sure if betting on a draw would come under that.

Ah fair enough. I don't know but would assume betting on your team to draw would come under that same bracket as you are still betting against your team to win.

Ah fair enough. I don't know but would assume betting on your team to draw would come under that same bracket as you are still betting against your team to win.

The result is irrelevant- it's the fact that they are essentially betting on an outcome they can influence that is key here. Either through inside info or potentially being able to influence what happens on the pitch ( directly or indirectly)

16 minutes ago, surely not! said:

The result is irrelevant- it's the fact that they are essentially betting on an outcome they can influence that is key here. Either through inside info or potentially being able to influence what happens on the pitch ( directly or indirectly)

I'm not going to disagree here. However if they could positively influence a result they would do it regardless of gambling ;)

• 3 weeks later...

Archived