Challenge Cup 2017-18

2 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

It's not the fans for me making the trek down on a Tuesday is the biggest issue. The Scottish Cup game a few years ago on a Saturday hardly attracted a large travelling support so the Challenge Cup won't attract more.

The fact that it was totally avoidable to drag the players and management down to Ayr on a Tuesday night is the bigger point to me. I would of thought the 2nd round being a Saturday opened up an open draw with the foreign teams brought in at this round.

A Sunday game or a neutral ground down that way on Saturday would of been preferred.

I do wonder with the reply to that Scottish Cup game being a midweek if Montrose insisted on it may of had a bearing on this. Only speculation mind.

Sunday isn't an option this year as the air show is on both Saturday and Sunday. Last year it was Friday / Saturday and we played Airdrie at home on the Sunday. A neutral venue is not required as Somerset Park is available. Just not that weekend. Police will have advised not to play the game at the weekend due to the other, much, much bigger event.

You would think that Montrose have never played a midweek game away from home before. The decision has been made, so no matter how much moaning there is,  it won't be changed. You can either come along and cheer your team on you stay at home and get updates by text or from Twitter. No big deal really. And Ayr is about 35 miles from Glasgow, not much more than Montrose to Dundee. We might be a bit closer than you think.

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 hours ago, Gogs Grog said:

The fact that it was totally avoidable to drag the players and management down to Ayr on a Tuesday night is the bigger point to me. I would of thought the 2nd round being a Saturday opened up an open draw with the foreign teams brought in at this round.

A Sunday game or a neutral ground down that way on Saturday would of been preferred.

I do wonder with the reply to that Scottish Cup game being a midweek if Montrose insisted on it may of had a bearing on this. Only speculation mind.

Of?  I can sort of understand why people say this when speaking, but surely it shouldn't be written down?

1 minute ago, Gogs Grog said:

Thanks for pointing that out. I can sleep at night now.

Sorry, not really a dig at you, it just happens to be the one bit of current parlance that annoys me, it was all over Sportscene on Sunday also.

May have been posted elsewhere but Stranraer v Patrick Thistle has been moved to the Friday night.

By the time the game ends the A77 will be closed north of Cairnryan so the Jags fans will have to go home via Newton Stewart. Have fun!

May have been posted elsewhere but Stranraer v Patrick Thistle has been moved to the Friday night.
By the time the game ends the A77 will be closed north of Cairnryan so the Jags fans will have to go home via Newton Stewart. Have fun!

I assume it was moved because development games are often on Friday night and Patrick wanted continuity? Can't think of any other reason for the switch.

Just now, English Wasp said:

I assume it was moved because development games are often on Friday night and Patrick wanted continuity? Can't think of any other reason for the switch.

It may well have been - I was just highlighting the inconvenience to any travelling supporters.

1 hour ago, English Wasp said:

A77 is only closed for the journey back on Friday, whereas on the Saturday it would have been closed both ways. Prestwick Airshow on the Saturday also adds to the delays.

http://www.stranraerfc.org/index.php/77-latest-news/886-irn-bru-cup-r2-date-change

Probably just the Partick Colts' mummies and daddies coming to watch them will be the only travelling support.  Hopefully this will be the last round they are involved in.  

Will it not affect the Stranraer team too as most,  if not all,  come from up the road if I'm not mistaken. 

Also I would like a Faeroese League Select in it as well, and say they must play 1st round matches in Scotland. There could be a Orkney, Shetland, Western Isles, Faeroes round, I know this sopunds mad but it is the future. Also push the league season back and have 2 breaks, and have a Atlanatic cup in a superbowl style way for the bigger Scottish premier teams, The draw for the League cup could be made way in advance so teams have time to prepare cheap travel to certain places.

By the way, these are only ideas, and I was not having a go at any team, its just a idea. I will not post on Pie and Bovril ever again. I have been to a challenge cup game, but then again it is not to everybody's taste, Lets face it Scottish football has good crowds for the size of the population, and a lot of interest in the smaller teams, so its is up to the fans of those clubs to decide what is best, sorry for offending anybody, I just think it would be even better if winning a trophy meant you were winners of a Scotland, Ulster, Eire, Wales, Faeroe Islands and Cornwall, and Manx, but maybe not, and if people are ever bored of travelling to the same teams in Scotland, as of 10 team leagues, why not add in a extra team from abroad, makes it more interesting, anyhow, the end,

People in the row behind me on Saturday were talking and thought the crowd at Kilmarnock "B" v Berwick was 255, but I thought they may have been confusing it with Edinburgh City in the League Cup section which was something like 250. I don't buy a programme but it may have appeared in there.

Clubs websites and SPFL website has never - and I suppose now never will - published the crowds at that game or at Ross County "B" v Forfar, which is unheard of for league clubs.

Still no news about the Albion Rovers-Spartans situation... Given it's a factual case (he was either registered or he wasn't) and it was identified by the morning after the tie, how can it still be pending over 1 week later? R2 is only 10 days away and if they act like Livingston-Crusaders there'd be R1 tie to play again, too.

Still no news about the Albion Rovers-Spartans situation... Given it's a factual case (he was either registered or he wasn't) and it was identified by the morning after the tie, how can it still be pending over 1 week later? R2 is only 10 days away and if they act like Livingston-Crusaders there'd be R1 tie to play again, too.

The hearing is tomorrow morning. See Aloysius Snuffleupagus' post above. A replay, if required, will be next Tuesday. The case is factual (as far as I know, there is no dispute in the matter) but the punishment is yet to be decided. Precedent suggests they will be ordered to replay the tie, which given the original game was one of the dullest in the round, I'm sure we are all beside ourselves with excitement at the prospect.

Archived