Angus Robertson

Im_Rodger

Completely Hypothetical but say he does in fact lose his seat in Moray.

A - Would he continue on as the SNP deputy leader?

B - Who would be the next SNP Westminster leader?

C - If he doesn't continue on as the SNP deputy leader, who would take his position?

My prediction would be

A - No

B - Tasmina Ahmed-Sheikh (If she keeps her seat)

C - Humza Yousaf

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A - No. 
B - Stewart Hosie would take on the role temporarily, as he is currently the Deputy Group Leader. 
C - Whoever the members elect from the candidates putting themselves forward for the position.

One of the SNPers will know but I doubt that there is a requirement for the deputy leader to be an MP or MSP (or MEP I presume). If Robertson did lose I'd imagine he might step aside as you'd expect that the leadership would want someone in that position to be an elected representative.

I doubt that Tasmania Ahmed-Sheikh would be a candidate, you'd probably be looking at someone more experienced (but not Alex Salmond) to do the job of leading in Westminster.

13 minutes ago, ICTChris said:

One of the SNPers will know but I doubt that there is a requirement for the deputy leader to be an MP or MSP (or MEP I presume). If Robertson did lose I'd imagine he might step aside as you'd expect that the leadership would want someone in that position to be an elected representative.

I doubt that Tasmania Ahmed-Sheikh would be a candidate, you'd probably be looking at someone more experienced (but not Alex Salmond) to do the job of leading in Westminster.

The deputy doesn't have to be an MP or an MSP.  A councillor, Christopher Mceleny stood in the last contest.

It would be churlish to deny that if Angus Robertson loses his seat, it will be a blow but I think it would pave the way for Humza Yousaf to stand and I'd support that.

It's not unreasonable to speculate on who might take over as SNP Westminster leader should Angus Robertson lose his seat. In spite of the 2015 result, he does look rather vulnerable given Moray's recent voting record. 

Assuming they hold on, the longest-serving SNP MPs (in no particular order) would be Angus MacNeil, Stewart Hosie, Pete Wishart, and Mike Weir. Plus Alex Salmond, but I'm not sure that would be a good move. 

Angus MacNeil or Pete Wishart would be good, IMO. 

Angus MacNeil would be literally my last choice. Somebody like Eilidh Whiteford might do a good job. I've also been impressed by Joanna Cherry in the snippets I've heard from her since she was elected. 

Mhairi Black would be fun. Not that he'll lose his seat. I think a straight fight against the Tories will be an advantage to the SNP, high turnout and a straightforward choice.

2 hours ago, Henderson to deliver ..... said:

I can't see Robertson losing tbh. A reduced majority certainly but, he scooped 49.5% of the vote last time.

He's probably won more respect in Westminster than any other SNP MP. I say the polls have got it wrong in Moray and Robertson will win with an increased majority.

If Angus lost his seat you would expect Pete to be in big trouble too. Even if not there is nae chance of him being group leader. You look at who gets oput up for tv shows, and who makes conference speeches as an indication of who is well placed within the party hierarchy. I dont think I have seen Angus MacNeil at a party conference in years - the man is a fucking twit.

Of the Westminster cohort I would say Joanna Cherry is the outstanding candidate.

I can't see Robertson losing tbh. A reduced majority certainly but, he scooped 49.5% of the vote last time.

Which is astonishing for a man as priggish as he is. I see Tasmina get a mention. Who is she standing for this time? It must be only the Lib Dems and UKIP left for her.

8 minutes ago, Glen Sannox said:

Which is astonishing for a man as priggish as he is. I see Tasmina get a mention. Who is she standing for this time? It must be only the Lib Dems and UKIP left for her.

He's perfectly suited for Westminster then, as exemplified by utterly bossing PMQ's most weeks.

I wouldn't have Tasmina as Westminster leader. However, despite a spell on the darkside, she's seen the light and is a bit of a wid.

5910dffdc99d4_tasthug.jpg.de216e6e851c55e8c153cd5c024166db.jpg

Thanks for playing.

Archived