East Kilbride v Cowdenbeath. 2nd Division play-off

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As I've experienced the play offs with City going out on penalities is certainly a sore one but it's now up to EK to re group and come back stronger. Congratulations to Cowdenbeath on retaining their SPFL status and commiserations to EK. For those posters who write off the LL please don't. Look at City for example not only winning the play offs but retaining their SPFL status in our first season. I honestly don't see a problem with club's that have ambition drive and determination replacing teams that have been stagnant and going through the motions year in year out. The pyramid system has been a great thing as it's made existing SPFL club's realise that some really need to get their act together if they are to survive going forward. Hopefully this will improve our game in the long term.

1 hour ago, JakeSAFC said:

Tbf they deserve their praise, a new side that are constantly winning trophies. Okay, they never won promotion but they still won the league. A new side with big ambitions.

I agree with you about stadiums. If you cant host big clubs like Celtic at your own ground then you should not be in the senior set up.

Feck me, the season must be over when Jake is doing serious posts ;)

Personally I think it's ok as the non League clubs have to get to round 4 before the big teams come in, e.g. Bonnyrigg beat Glasgow Uni, Burntisland, Turriff, Cove and Dumbarton before playing Hibs. It's become harder for wee clubs to progress since 2007, although there are more of them allowed in now. EK v Celtic was round 5.

Only just now recovering. The last few weeks have been really tough but we pulled through and at the heart of it was the team spirit that Gary, Billy and Neil did so much to instill. It was a very emotional day yesterday with town, players, fans, management, board all united to achieve a goal.

It was the tensest match I can ever remember and there was real joy at the end but I think we also showed a bit of dignity. East Kilbride had given their all and they have spent a couple of years building a settled team and one that has the winning habit. It was no easy task to counter that. At the end we shook hands all round, the players acknowledged the fans and it was job done. 5 penalties missed in a row to 5 scored in a row - that took bottle. Jamie's save, it meant so much. Saw lots of people there who made the trip from all parts to Central Park to support their club. The SPFL produce a board for the winning side in the play off to be pictured behind celebrating and also there was a flag to be used for dressing room pictures - we players, management and Board respectfully advised we did not wish to participate as we did not believe we should be celebrating this. Yes we were relieved and happy but not celebratory. It was a hard job done.

Spoke to Davie Syme after the game - just a few weeks as a Blue Brazilian. He said re his tackle near the end 'My calf is killing me now but there's no way he was going to score. No way we're we going to let them beat us'. Dean Brett sent me a message 'Congratulations Dave. Well done to everybody'.

Drug testing after the match - we had to wait ages for poor Kyle Miller to do the needful. Mind you he was maybe just keen on the couple of bottles of beer we offered him to help the process.

To the guy above suggesting Cowdenbeath were some sort of driving force behind SPFL2 - that's nonsense. We went to the meetings but always wanted a 42 club solution and we weren't opposed to the pyramid in principle albeit it was rather foisted on us by the SFA - a key concern always was about the strength of the next tier below the SPFL and the problem there has been the juniors attitude. If Kelty and Bo'ness can make the break then maybe there will be a stronger pyramid base.

Now we all need to learn lessons and I am sure at tomorrow's board meeting that will be part of the discussion. However, there are other key lessons that need to be widely grasped - every time you change manager it costs a five figure sum and money is always scarce, and beyond that there needs to be a clearer understanding of financial reality. There is a real opportunity now for us all to regroup and come together to take the club forward - but like Saturday it needs a lot of people collectively 'playing for the jersey' and being involved in a positive way.

42 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

Only just now recovering. The last few weeks have been really tough but we pulled through and at the heart of it was the team spirit that Gary, Billy and Neil did so much to instill. It was a very emotional day yesterday with town, players, fans, management, board all united to achieve a goal.

It was the tensest match I can ever remember and there was real joy at the end but I think we also showed a bit of dignity. East Kilbride had given their all and they have spent a couple of years building a settled team and one that has the winning habit. It was no easy task to counter that. At the end we shook hands all round, the players acknowledged the fans and it was job done. 5 penalties missed in a row to 5 scored in a row - that took bottle. Jamie's save, it meant so much. Saw lots of people there who made the trip from all parts to Central Park to support their club. The SPFL produce a board for the winning side in the play off to be pictured behind celebrating and also there was a flag to be used for dressing room pictures - we players, management and Board respectfully advised we did not wish to participate as we did not believe we should be celebrating this. Yes we were relieved and happy but not celebratory. It was a hard job done.

Spoke to Davie Syme after the game - just a few weeks as a Blue Brazilian. He said re his tackle near the end 'My calf is killing me now but there's no way he was going to score. No way we're we going to let them beat us'. Dean Brett sent me a message 'Congratulations Dave. Well done to everybody'.

Drug testing after the match - we had to wait ages for poor Kyle Miller to do the needful. Mind you he was maybe just keen on the couple of bottles of beer we offered him to help the process.

To the guy above suggesting Cowdenbeath were some sort of driving force behind SPFL2 - that's nonsense. We went to the meetings but always wanted a 42 club solution and we weren't opposed to the pyramid in principle albeit it was rather foisted on us by the SFA - a key concern always was about the strength of the next tier below the SPFL and the problem there has been the juniors attitude. If Kelty and Bo'ness can make the break then maybe there will be a stronger pyramid base.

Now we all need to learn lessons and I am sure at tomorrow's board meeting that will be part of the discussion. However, there are other key lessons that need to be widely grasped - every time you change manager it costs a five figure sum and money is always scarce, and beyond that there needs to be a clearer understanding of financial reality. There is a real opportunity now for us all to regroup and come together to take the club forward - but like Saturday it needs a lot of people collectively 'playing for the jersey' and being involved in a positive way.

Good post Dave. Now is the time to regroup. The Cowden family has splintered over the last couple of seasons. Need to get everyone back on board the Blue Brazil ship, now that we've avoided a Titanic like ending of 3 relegations in a row!

40 minutes ago, Cowden Cowboy said:

I've never been so concerned before or during a game as I was yesterday. Had to sit in the car for some time before I could drive up the road. I've experienced all the highs and lows in recent years but nothing comes close. That must never happen to us again!

It was a horrible way for any team to lose and I have sympathy for the EK players and support. 

Great to see so many Cowden fans at the game too, maybe some of them will come back next season. 

At least your Board meeting will be a lot less stressful than it might have been.

10 minutes ago, Blueminer said:

Good post Dave. Now is the time to regroup. The Cowden family has splintered over the last couple of seasons. Need to get everyone back on board the Blue Brazil ship, now that we've avoided a Titanic like ending of 3 relegations in a row!

Well said Stuart exactly right.

21 minutes ago, Kierkegaard said:

Got a text from Sir Alex F: "Hallelujah, well done the blue brazil. It's another book, play and film!!"

It would have to be a text as nobody would understand him if he said it.  :P

2 hours ago, The Mantis said:

The wonderful competition that is the Scottish Cup should just pretty much become League Cup 2 then? 

I suppose it would save you from Formartine, Spartans, Nairn etc.

Not forgetting this epic from 1992 :lol:

Ah Mantis, remember it well and a happy journey back down the A9 right after the game; the last bus to Edinburgh left at something like 5.30 so not even time for a swift half. Great Day

8 minutes ago, PRS said:

Ah Mantis, remember it well and a happy journey back down the A9 right after the game; the last bus to Edinburgh left at something like 5.30 so not even time for a swift half. Great Day

Shame this clip was all I could find. Might upload the highlights to YouTube.

6 hours ago, HibeeJibee said:

That's unfair IMO. Remember that EK wanted to play their game v Celtic at K-Park but were told they couldn't by SFA and police.

SFA then decided they should play it at New Douglas Park without consulting EK or Hamilton... when Hamilton said, actually naw, they then decided they should play it at Airdrie.

That's the only time EK have had a game moved. On all other occasions they've been all-ticket at K-Park.

Contrast that with, for example, Albion Rovers - an SPFL club who move them every time - or Bonnyrigg who actively campaigned to move their Hibs tie to Tynecastle.

People also forget their primary profit came from it being on TV. That was due to them being a non-leaguer that reached R5 then drew Celtic - not venue relocation.

You would have got better odds on Cowden winning the Champions League than EK being allowed to play Celtic there, also if your ever been to Bonnyrigg you would know that they wouldn't have been able to host Hibs there.

Those 2 are valid for moves I would say but I would agree with you that Albion Rovers shouldn't be getting away with it.

20 hours ago, Kierkegaard said:

I think there should be a nationwide search for two teenagers who have suddenly gone missing. One has the alias "Yellow Feet" and he's obviously a runner. The other has the alias "Cowden Countdown". He is a self-employed prophet who predicts catastrophic events. They were last seen crying at Central Park, Cowdenbeath, around 3.45 pm. If you see them, don't approach them, because both may be suffering from Post Traumatic Stress Disorder. Friends think that for some reason they may have gone into hiding.

yellow streak would be more apt,given how quickly he locked his mouthing off thread as soon as cowden survived

Archived