East Kilbride v Cowdenbeath. 2nd Division play-off

can't argue with any of that.
As far as the game was concerned, I expected it to be a dire game, but both sides played some good stuff. The football we played in the first 25 minutes or so was really good - quick movement, good inter-passing - and all on the ground. Can we play in that manner next season, please?

It was pleasing to watch the team playing with confidence having gone one up early. They have the ability and clearly have been coached to play all those delicate little triangles. I hope we can keep the backbone of the present squad and management. They are the ones who will have the collective experience of this season and especially yesterday etched in their minds. That just might be a strong foundation to start from...

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, Kierkegaard said:

I thought Jamie was a standout. His handling of the ball in difficult conditions was excellent. I think we all  reckoned he would save at least one of the penalties in the shoot-out. What is amazing is that we scored all of our penalties - and in some style.

To be fair, the EK keeper had a good game too, apart from some of his fielding. As good as any visiting keeper this season.

Re our penalties, where did they come from? I was expecting the worst. Couldn't look when Henderson took his. Fair play to CJ too, he gets a lot of stick, especially from me, but it was a cracking penalty.

2 hours ago, haufdaft said:

It's a joke that a club can throw money at the playing squad but play their cup games at another stadium.

That's unfair IMO. Remember that EK wanted to play their game v Celtic at K-Park but were told they couldn't by SFA and police.

SFA then decided they should play it at New Douglas Park without consulting EK or Hamilton... when Hamilton said, actually naw, they then decided they should play it at Airdrie.

That's the only time EK have had a game moved. On all other occasions they've been all-ticket at K-Park.

Contrast that with, for example, Albion Rovers - an SPFL club who move them every time - or Bonnyrigg who actively campaigned to move their Hibs tie to Tynecastle.

People also forget their primary profit came from it being on TV. That was due to them being a non-leaguer that reached R5 then drew Celtic - not venue relocation.

That's unfair IMO. Remember that EK wanted to play their game v Celtic at K-Park but were told they couldn't by SFA and police.

SFA then decided they should play it at New Douglas Park without consulting EK or Hamilton... when Hamilton said, actually naw, they then decided they should play it at Airdrie.

That's the only time EK have had a game moved. On all other occasions they've been all-ticket at K-Park.

Contrast that with, for example, Albion Rovers - an SPFL club who move them every time - or Bonnyrigg who actively campaigned to move their Hibs tie to Tynecastle.

People also forget their primary profit came from it being on TV. That was due to them being a non-leaguer that reached R5 then drew Celtic - not venue relocation.

I don't believe that EK seriously wanted the game played at K Park.

They knew all along that it would be moved. Their demand to play at K Park was disingenuous.

In regards to the comparison with Albion Rovers, watch what happens next time EK get a box office draw. Same thing again.

Perhaps, Cowdenbeath should play any of their cup matches against Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen at a larger stadium, pocket the dosh and challenge for promotion the following year. Just like EK and Albion Rovers did.

In my opinion, if your stadium cannot host a match against every team in the tournament, you should not be allowed to compete in it.

On another day EK could have won promotion but they can have no complaints about missing out; they really should have been 3-0 down and out of the tie in the opening 20 minutes. They probably edged the game after getting an equaliser out of nowhere but had no cutting edge.

To progress they'll need to be more flexible tactically in order to handle the threat from league clubs and have better striking options than that absolute donkey Vitoria. He was completely out of his depth against that standard of opposition.

1 hour ago, The Mantis said:

That's a big 'if'. The logical conclusion being that SPFL clubs are being kept alive at the moment by respirator. As I've said countless times this season, why don't you ask the Shire fans what they think?

Again, people equating the LL with death of clubs is just lazy stereotyping. While the standard of the LL could be better, the alternative you seem to be advocating is stagnation. The fact is, in 6 playoff matches so far, team 42 has beaten the LL champions once over 90 minutes. I wonder how much people's perceptions of the LL in the EK/Cumbernauld area are skewed by seeing these so-called 'boys clubs' and little else.

+1

It's a common viewpoint among Berwick fans too but I find it depressing / a bit embarrassing. Relegation from the Premiership or Championship also involves a hit and means playing at a lower level: but it's deserved as you've finished bottom. No-one says those divisions should only have 1 playoff slot, or become closed shops: it's hypocritical to want it ourselves.

If we ever end bottom of SPFL2 and lose playoff, we'll deserve to go down. In levels above or below there wouldn't even be a playoff security net. If we couldn't get our house in order over 2yrs with £60k of parachute and access to the League and Challenge cups we'd also deserve whatever that entailed. Btw I do not really believe clubs would fold, in all honesty, I think it's a bit of cry wolf and a resistance to downsizing or accepting playing at a lower level. 'Shire haven't folded... No club has a right to expect to be in the top 42 - it must be earnt.

14 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

They knew all along that it would be moved. Their demand to play at K Park was disingenuous.

In regards to the comparison with Albion Rovers, watch what happens next time EK get a box office draw. Same thing again.

Perhaps, Cowdenbeath should play any of their cup matches against Rangers, Celtic, Hearts, Hibs or Aberdeen at a larger stadium, pocket the dosh and challenge for promotion the following year. Just like EK and Albion Rovers did.

In my opinion, if your stadium cannot host a match against every team in the tournament, you should not be allowed to compete in it.

In the case of the Scottish Cup that would mean excluding the majority of non-league clubs, essentially just in case they made it through to the Last 32 or Last 16 and drew one of the top 6 or so clubs in the country?! Lots of them wouldn't be allowed to host Rangers, Celtic and maybe others. You're criticising EK, but they played rounds earlier in the competition at home and made them all-ticket.

As I said you have to come back and draw contrast with Albion Rovers - they must have moved about half-a-dozen ties now, in all 3 cup competitions.

Depending who they draw in League Cup sections EK could have a problem again, but it's also worth saying they're building an extra stand at K-Park and longer-term a new stadium.

Depending who they draw in League Cup sections EK could have a problem again, but it's also worth saying they're building an extra stand at K-Park and longer-term a new stadium.

18 months since approval from council for the new stand. Not one brick layed.

12 months since approval from council for new stadium. Not one brick layed.

Next season, just like Albion Rovers they will move stadium again for cup games if they get drawn against a box office team and will continue to win the lowland league at a canter.

Same again the following year, the year after, ad infinitum.

19 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

Many of us don't have much time for EK but your seethe blows any credibility or objectivity out the window. The police make the decision but that's not enough for you.

And you'd bar almost every non-League club including my own (Whitehill), who happily compete in the national competition with 2400 capacity and 100 seats. No way would the police allow us to host a big club, as proven in 1996 when we were drawn against Celtic just as EK were last year.

10 minutes ago, haufdaft said:

18 months since approval from council for the new stand. Not one brick layed.

12 months since approval from council for new stadium. Not one brick layed.

Next season, just like Albion Rovers they will move stadium again for cup games if they get drawn against a box office team and will continue to win the lowland league at a canter.

Same again the following year, the year after, ad infinitum.

Perhaps they're still seeking the funding to pay for their stadium/stands. Planning permission has a time limit of 5 years I believe.

We are staying up!!

Feeling very hungover from yesterday's relief post match drinks.

Credit to the people attended yesterdays match and credit to Locke and his coaching staff in turning things around.

However yesterday was a close shave and we must ensure we are never in that position again after what can only be described as a shambolic season.

Today marks the day we move towards helping the club move forward together. For example I want to see better engagement between players and fans and I will be looking for volunteers to make that happen via Quiz/Racenights,.Pre Match drinks etc.

All these things could help make a difference on the park making the players and management feel really part of the club building a culture of striving to win to help our cause.

A lot of learning curves from last season from the board and us as fans. I am just relieved and proud we are going to stick together as a spfl club and move forward as lets not beat about the bush we could have headed towards oblivion had we went down but we thankfully didn't! 

Let's keep this great wee club goingand enjoy your summer folks with friends and family

See you next season and some of you before as we look at some initiatives for next season

#relieved

Phew.

Wr absolutely battered EK in the first 25 and I thought we were going to stroll it. We then reverted to type and decided to punt the ball to Renton at every opportunity. Thereafter EK were the better side but didn't create too much.

Our midfield is anonymous. Henderson was very poor and I'm still unsure what Miller does. Pyper also had a horror show. He's done ok as a stop gap but he's not at the level required. Shout out to Carrick for the shift he put in.

Regarding the promotion relegtion debate - there should be automatic relegation. The play off needs binned. People talk about history etc but these 'non league' clubs should be allowed the chance to create their own history. The more teams going up and down will give more credibility to the LL/HL and scrap the graveyard reputation it has. The whole 'we will go bust if we go down' attitude needs to change and we need to create an actual pyramid. 

To hell with sporting merit eh? Cowden deserved to stay up as the rules see fit, fair play to them. Ironic in your argument talking about stadia and Cowden though...

Many of us don't have much time for EK but your seethe blows any credibility or objectivity out the window.

haufdaft is incredibly obsessed with EK.

Fair enough. You're partially right.

I don't like EKFC given the endless bias praise they get in national and local press. Someone is obviously well connected.

I believe that are all fur coat and no knickers. Pointing out flaws in their facade may be considered obsession by some but doesn't mean they are not valid.

On other threads, I've posted the same views on stadia regarding Albion Rovers.

As for Whitehill Welfare playing in cup matches, I stand by what I posted

I don't like EKFC given the endless bias praise they get in national and local press. Someone is obviously well connected.

I believe that are all fur coat and no knickers. Pointing out flaws in their facade may be considered obsession by some but doesn't mean they are not valid.

Tbf they deserve their praise, a new side that are constantly winning trophies. Okay, they never won promotion but they still won the league. A new side with big ambitions.

I agree with you about stadiums. If you cant host big clubs like Celtic at your own ground then you should not be in the senior set up.

1 hour ago, haufdaft said:

The wonderful competition that is the Scottish Cup should just pretty much become League Cup 2 then? 

I suppose it would save you from Formartine, Spartans, Nairn etc.

Not forgetting this epic from 1992 :lol:

58 minutes ago, Patrick Bateman said:

How many do Cowden bring out of interest?

Just as relevant, how many would Raith bring to Caley Stadium? Although I understand Brazilianlex wasn't necessarily having a pop at ICT. 

Archived