East Kilbride v Cowdenbeath. 2nd Division play-off

6 minutes ago, Blueminer said:

Don't think there are any big celebration parties taking place. Relief at staying is the feeling I have!

Oh, yes there are, Stuart! We're dining in Leith, celebrating the Great Escape.

Now where is that lovely, caring guy, Yellow Feet. He's usually around all the time. I can't imagine that such a brave, outspoken man will be hiding? Surely not.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, east fife for life said:

Chuffed for Cowdenbeath! Sickening for EK after winning their league. Bottom team in league 2 should go straight down and winners of HL and LL face each other in Final for league 2 place.

Have to say the play offs have been brilliant since they were introduced. I can only imagine how horrible it must feel to go down like E Stirling but the Cowden fans must be absolutely delighted tonight.

If the system was equitable with the levels above Cowdenbeath would already have been down, EK already up, and Clyde hosting Buckie today in a playoff. However, zero chance of that or something like it being voted in IMO: if anything changes in future, it'll probably be to put extra hurdles in the way of clubs below. When the pyramid introduced as part of SPFL starting, there seems to have been a notion that it could get rid of East Stirlingshire and replace them with Spartans, and with the exception of Cove nothing much else would happen. If so there's been a rude awakening. Questions remain about quality of HL teams - and in some quarters their 'desire' - but in 10 ties no LL club has lost a game, with 2 penalty losses and last year's victory for Edinburgh City.

Chatted with an EK fan at the end and they were clearly gutted to have come so far and have nothing to show for it. As they said - they have to win LL again, beat HL champion again and they could still go toe-to-toe with 'Club 42' again and exactly the same thing happen.

As for the game itself: Cowdenbeath came out of the blocks flying, deserved to take the lead and could have finished the game in the opening 15-20mins. EK seemed to struggle with the monsoon conditions more than Cowden and were also a bit sluggish. However they came back into it and were on top for the closing part of the half. Cowden again dominated for the opening few minutes of the second half, but thereafter it was mainly EK, and they deserved their equaliser and looked more likely to find a winner. That said when Cowden did get down their end they looked dangerous. Someone got an effort tipped onto the bar but I've forgotten when. EK again had more of the play and pressure in extra-time but it petered-out somewhat as the rain returned with vengeance.

Penalties are always a cruel way to settle a game but also a very dramatic one. In the end only one was missed with Cowden's keeper tipping an effort onto the post only to see it run across the face of goal, past the other post and spin out. On such margins are league statuses preserved and promotion dreams dashed... I feel sorry for whoever the EK player was.

Excellent attendance. Stands appeared close to being full - although you can't see the back rows of the old stand from the terrace - and there must have been several hundred on the terraces. I'd imagine most neutrals availed themselves of the stands but there were various clubs represented in the EK section, including Berwick (obviously), Edinburgh City, all 3 of the Fife clubs, and a couple of Brechin fans - although I assume they didn't stay for extra-time!

It's not to dwell on but personally I think clubs should be obliged to at least provide some covered accommodation for away fans. There were some young children and elderly women getting absolutely soaked because of all the covered accommodation being given to home fans... Watching BBC Alba just now it seems to have been similar for Brechin fans at Alloa, unless they had the gazebo thing. Also the terrace toilets are a disgrace.

So in the end it was the Great Escape for the home team and a Great Disappointment for the away. If EK have any consolation it's that they can still end the season on a high as they contest the South Challenge Cup Final a week tomorrow, but while Fife celebrates I suspect Lanarkshire is thinking "what might have been".

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 18:48, big al said:

honestly dont know why people are getting the idea of a big crowd at central park for the 2nd leg.(i include some cowden fans in this)

honestly cant see there being more than 600-700 at the game.

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:20, HibeeJibee said:

In previous seasons it's been suggested sizeable numbers of neutrals came to "see history made" etc. Certainly figures indicate something:

2014-15... Montrose average - 419; highest league gate - 1,143; playoff crowd - 2,132... i.e. 5-times larger; 2-times larger
2015-16... 'Shire average - 320; highest league gate - 523; playoff crowd - 1,286... i.e. 4-times larger; 2.5-times larger
2016-17... Cowdenbeath average - 345; highest league gate - 571; projected playoff crowd - 1,200 to 1,600?

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:24, CowdenLoyal said:

None of the aforementioned teams have had successive relegations to contend with. I'd be amazed if we get four figures at CP. We didn't even get over 1000 when we beat Forfar to seal the 2nd division title a few seasons ago (if I'm not mistaken).

On ‎11‎/‎05‎/‎2017 at 19:55, PELE said:

If the first game is close, it would be good to have a bigger crowd. I know a handful of people who are going to the second game who never venture near Central Park. However, I doubt we will get near 1000, sadly. Unless EK are in a good position, then they might bring quite a few through for the novelty.

Crowd of 1,676 so actually at the very top end of my earlier estimate.

Local, occasional and lapsed home fans are always going to turn-out for a defining encounter; and going by on here, social media and looking about there were again many neutrals.

45 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

If the system was equitable with the levels above Cowdenbeath would already have been down, EK already up, and Clyde hosting Buckie today in a playoff. However, zero chance of that or something like it being voted in IMO: if anything changes in future, it'll probably be to put extra hurdles in the way of clubs below. When the pyramid introduced as part of SPFL starting, there seems to have been a notion that it could get rid of East Stirlingshire and replace them with Spartans, and with the exception of Cove nothing much else would happen. If so there's been a rude awakening. Questions remain about quality of HL teams - and in some quarters their 'desire' - but in 10 ties no LL club has lost a game, with 2 penalty losses and last year's victory for Edinburgh City.

Chatted with an EK fan at the end and they were clearly gutted to have come so far and have nothing to show for it. As they said - they have to win LL again, beat HL champion again and they could still go toe-to-toe with 'Club 42' again and exactly the same thing happen.

As for the game itself: Cowdenbeath came out of the blocks flying, deserved to take the lead and could have finished the game in the opening 15-20mins. EK seemed to struggle with the monsoon conditions more than Cowden and were also a bit sluggish. However they came back into it and were on top for the closing part of the half. Cowden again dominated for the opening few minutes of the second half, but thereafter it was mainly EK, and they deserved their equaliser and looked more likely to find a winner. That said when Cowden did get down their end they looked dangerous. Someone got an effort tipped onto the bar but I've forgotten when. EK again had more of the play and pressure in extra-time but it petered-out somewhat as the rain returned with vengeance.

Penalties are always a cruel way to settle a game but also a very dramatic one. In the end only one was missed with Cowden's keeper tipping an effort onto the post only to see it run across the face of goal, past the other post and spin out. On such margins are league statuses preserved and promotion dreams dashed... I feel sorry for whoever the EK player was.

Excellent attendance. Stands appeared close to being full - although you can't see the back rows of the old stand from the terrace - and there must have been several hundred on the terraces. I'd imagine most neutrals availed themselves of the stands but there were various clubs represented in the EK section, including Berwick (obviously), Edinburgh City, all 3 of the Fife clubs, and a couple of Brechin fans - although I assume they didn't stay for extra-time!

It's not to dwell on but personally I think clubs should be obliged to at least provide some covered accommodation for away fans. There were some young children and elderly women getting absolutely soaked because of all the covered accommodation being given to home fans... Watching BBC Alba just now it seems to have been similar for Brechin fans at Alloa, unless they had the gazebo thing. Also the terrace toilets are a disgrace.

So in the end it was the Great Escape for the home team and a Great Disappointment for the away. If EK have any consolation it's that they can still end the season on a high as they contest the South Challenge Cup Final a week tomorrow, but while Fife celebrates I suspect Lanarkshire is thinking "what might have been".

You seem disappointed EK didn't win:P we're hardly celebrating the players aknowledged the crowd and left the park, the SPFL had a board for photos which wern't taken rightly imo.

Re automatic relegation everyone knows the format at the start of the season, its tough for the non league sides but at least the play off is a start for them while before they had to rely on a club going bust or league expansion.

EK have came a long way in a short time and i'm sure that they will get up someday it took City 2 attempts to finally make it if they keep their squad together they will be up there next season.

It took many years for the National League to get the automatic promotion spot after it was formed eight in fact so through time it may eventually happen up here.

Re the segregation as far as I know the police have the final say in arrangements, yes its not ideal that there is no cover on the terrace but most Cowden fans had to stand out in the rain last week at K-Park,  a few were in the stand but not many. Re the toilets we are only tenants of the ground.

There were 300 odd on the terrace don't know the exact number. Quite a few neutrals were in the stand seen folk from Berwick, Stenny, Stranraer City (Scrouge 1928 from here) and Spartans. Few Cowden lads up from Pompey and Wrexham as well.

2 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

Crowd of 1,676 so actually at the very top end of my earlier estimate.

Local, occasional and lapsed home fans are always going to turn-out for a defining encounter; and going by on here, social media and looking about there were again many neutrals.

I was expecting over 1000 and looking to get much the same as the Shire did against City last year.

20 minutes ago, Kobe2010 said:

To big Al Nelly John Muzz and all the lads I stood on the terracing down the years with well done,have a great night.For me a bright spot in a disappointing night

Cheers neeb. No celebrating for me though. Just a relief and glad to see the back of this season.

41 minutes ago, HibeeJibee said:

(Snip)

Agree on both counts - there should be some sort of recognition of teams having a good season (or an awful one) and automatic promotion and relegation really should he in place. As for the ground, I'm actually surprised there isn't already a rule that away fans must have cover and/or seating if available - even back in the 80s when most grounds had just one stand and three sides of terracing, I was always able to sit in the stand with my old man who needed a seat due his dodgy back (except at Firs Park where we were told it was for "Directors and guests only" since in was so small) and even when going to Stark's Park, Brockville or Broomfield the Pars had a section of the stand as well as terracing. The toilets in the old Main Stand are just as bad by the way.

Glad Cowden stayed up though even saying all of that. I know they don't like us but I wouldn't want them to go down at the best of times but certainly not with their future so uncertain. Hopefully they can get themselves on a sure financial footing and can start looking to a new ground somewhere soon.

Jamie is a star. For an 18 year old he was very calm and collected. His handling was excellent throughout.

Cowden had a few good young players this year, better than their league position suggested. Pressures on the first team to get results meant that the youngsters maybe didn't get the opportunities they deserved.

1 hour ago, TheMessiah said:

Don't really think Cowden have much reason to be gloating after finishing bottom of all professional clubs in Scotland, avoiding dropping out of the spfl altogether and completing a 3rd successive relegation by the grace of a single penalty save after a two-legged playoff game against a Lowland league team, who they failed to beat over 90 mins twice this season and once over 120 mins, all coming after playing a league game at Ibrox just over two years ago but ok.

Gloating ? Who the f*ck is gloating, you f*cking dick. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate finishing last in the SFL. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate avoiding footballing oblivion by the skin of your teeth. I hope that you and the freaks who wished ill on Cowden get their comeuppance one day. Sit on the riverbank long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by. Karma is a bitch, especially for you Yellow Feet, you cee u next Tuesday.

After securing our own safety in midweek, I made the trip from North Lanarkshire to Fife.  Entertaining game with not much between the sides.  First 15 minutes, Cowdenbeath could have been 3-0 up.  Feel that EK were 2nd to every header that occurred all over the park.  Unfortunate not to score in Extra time as well.

Only issue I had with the game was the Programme's selling out 25 minutes before kick off.  If anyone has a spare and wouldn't mind parting with it, feel free to pm me.  First visit to Central Park and apart from the rain and resulting trench foot, was a good game.  Best of luck to both teams next season.

4 minutes ago, ronaldincoo said:

Gloating ? Who the f*ck is gloating, you f*cking dick. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate finishing last in the SFL. There is absolutely nothing to celebrate avoiding footballing oblivion by the skin of your teeth. I hope that you and the freaks who wished ill on Cowden get their comeuppance one day. Sit on the riverbank long enough and the bodies of your enemies will float by. Karma is a bitch, especially for you Yellow Feet, you cee u next Tuesday.

Seething mess :lol:

Well done Cowden, delighted you got the result in the end. Would've been a sad day for football in Fife had it gone against you. Hope you don't find yourselves in such a position again.
Thoughts on Gary Locke? Would you want him to have a crack at it next season?

Enjoyed it today. Cowden should have been out of sight early on. Lots of nerves after equaliser. Big miss from EK at end of extra time (did he miss pen?). Surprised at district lack of vocal support from Cowden apart from start and end of game. Why do away goals not count though? Still decent crowd glad Berwick didn't have to through this.

7 minutes ago, Larbert_Par said:

Well done Cowden, delighted you got the result in the end. Would've been a sad day for football in Fife had it gone against you. Hope you don't find yourselves in such a position again.
Thoughts on Gary Locke? Would you want him to have a crack at it next season?

Would be happy if he's here next season. 

Archived